Who needs power steering when you can have manual.

What are good lowering springs for the MX-3? How low should I lower it? Can I cut my springs instead of buying new ones? This forum is for Suspension related Frequently Asked Questions.
hppwdn

Who needs power steering when you can have manual.

Post by hppwdn »

Backstory: A year or so ago I took out my power steering pump, reservoir etc and just looped the lines. I knew it would suck and it sucked REALLY BAD to drive it.

After a lot of research and some advice from dan[sac] I finally got around to tackling the problem.

Since I have an MX3 it was pretty easy. Even though the MX3 wasn't offered with manual steering you can order a manual rack from a 323 and it bolts right up to the MX3 subframe.

The weight difference is minimal, but the ease of driving will be a pleasant surprise compared to driving a power rack with no power.

I just have to get some new tie rod ends and I'll be off to the alignment shop and happily driving around.

A good benefit should be more control of steering during burnouts. Hopefully that may get me a tad more traction off the line.

Subframe out with manual rack sitting in front.

Two racks next to each other.

New rack installed on the subframe.

More pics to follow once it's installed.
92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
NSCRA 2009 FWD Drag Radial Finalist
HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video
As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Re: Who needs power steering when you can have manual.

Post by fowljesse »

Thanks for putting up pics. I've wondered about this, and would really like to drive it.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
mazdamx3freak

Post by mazdamx3freak »

i thought there was a difference in tie rod length and thred size. I depowered my mx3 rack but if u can get this to work ill be switching to 323 pure manual.
hppwdn

Post by hppwdn »

mazdamx3freak wrote:i thought there was a difference in tie rod length and thred size. I depowered my mx3 rack but if u can get this to work ill be switching to 323 pure manual.
The part numbers for the tie rod ends are the same.

The part numbers for the inner tie rods are different, but since the rack came with new tie rods for the 323 I'm going to see how it fits. The two cars are onnly 1 inch different in width so if each tie rod is 1/2" shorter I think that would be fine.

Also, it has been tested and an MX3 tie rod will bolt right up to a 323 manual rack, so worst case, if the possible length difference is an issue, I'll just swap out the tie rods from my MX3.

Should know the total outcome very soon.
92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Is there a car with a similar setup to yours, with P/S that you can drive, to feel the difference? It would be great if you could get a couple of opinions.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
hppwdn

Post by hppwdn »

I drove mine with power steering forever. If the MX3 with manual steering drives anything like my Civic that came factory with manual steering it will be an almost unnoticeable difference.
MCNano117

Post by MCNano117 »

What's the advantage of manual over power steering?
1994 Mazda MX3 RS | Rebuilt B6DE | Stock
mazdamx3freak

Post by mazdamx3freak »

MCNano117 wrote:What's the advantage of manual over power steering?
well to the 4cyl guys not a whole lot besides weight and motor strain imo ..... but for the v6 gents and to me its the satisfaction of removing the forever leaking ps pump ( due to placement and poor design imo) not to mention more room in an already crowded bay. manual ftw!
hppwdn

Post by hppwdn »

I got it all installed last night. It's all connected to the steeering wheel and hubs just fine. Tonight I'll finish some other projects I was doing and hopefully have time for a test drive today or tomorrow.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

wow this is a great write up with pics! if this works out for you I am definately interested in doing this on my fast car!
hppwdn

Post by hppwdn »

Everything is all put back together. It's too late to test drive now so I'll be doing it first thing when I get home tomorrow.
hotsiit
Supporting Member

Post by hotsiit »

I am interested in this as well :2thumbsup:
My original plan is to just loop the lines and get rid of the pump etc... Minor weight savings, cleans up the engine bay a little, and one less thing to break :)

I am not positive, but is the 323 manual rack more turns lock-to-lock than even the 4cyl's 3.1?
:)
Chris--It's HOTNESS, you wouldn't understand! -- Donate to MX-3.com--It'll make you feel good!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/colonelsmx3
1993 Mazda MX-3 RS-Turbo
1993 Mazda RX-7 touring
1983 Mazda RX-7 GSL
1995 Subaru Impreza L AWD Sedan
1987 Jeep Comanche
hppwdn

Post by hppwdn »

hotsiit wrote:I am interested in this as well :2thumbsup:
My original plan is to just loop the lines and get rid of the pump etc... Minor weight savings, cleans up the engine bay a little, and one less thing to break :)

I am not positive, but is the 323 manual rack more turns lock-to-lock than even the 4cyl's 3.1?
:)
Don't loop the lines. You'll hate it. I would never recommend looping the lines.

The 323 Manual Rack is 4.5 turns lock to lock.
eyezpinned

Post by eyezpinned »

buy a suicide knob (a quality one off a set of hand controls). makes driving a car w/ no power a lot easier. ive had to drive w/ one from day and they make a HUGE difference w/ no power
93 rs: tokico struts & eibach springs, 15' rota gt3s, cf hood & gas lid, 2.5' exhaust w high-flow cat, tranny cooler, reupholstered seats, custom black interior, chrome miata handles, momo wheel & ebrake, spyder black projector lights w hid, altezzas, clear corners/sides, eclipse 8454 hu, diamond hex components w/ 3-way add-on & an re se 15' powered by 300/2v2 & 500/1 jl slash amps, corksport mazdaspeed bumper, euro mini sideskirts, fresh paint
hppwdn

Post by hppwdn »

TEST DRIVE RESULTS:

I drove it today and it's GLORIOUS!!!. It's a million times better than it was. It's completely easy to drive in every way. It wouldn't have bothered me one bit to go straight from power steering to this rack.

:2thumbsup: :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup:

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires FAQ”