mazdags94 - 1994 MX-3 GS DE (sold)

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
Audessy

Re: mazdags94 - 1994 MX-3 GS

Post by Audessy »

Holy bling bling to the interior man. Looks nice. Your rust issues are far better than mine. I hear rust crushing when I jack at the frame rails :crying:

If you're going to a ZE ever make sure you get that slush box Ford pos auto tranny out of there lol. It will make the swap much easier and you won't leave gears all over the road the first time you stomp on it.
MX3-Life

Post by MX3-Life »

Nice... I love the toggle switches :) :love2:
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

UPDATE (6/4/08):

All struts and springs are in. (KYB's and Intrax)
Carbon fiber Hood is on
Intake has been cut and fitted
A/C system is removed
seal and gasket job is underway (to be completed this week)

And the interior is all clean.................. well, it may need to be vaccuumed :P
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
npspears

Post by npspears »

where did you get the cf hood? and how much?

is that tape around your elec connectors? that is smart, I didn't do that. Hopefully my good memory (yeah right) and pics that I took will get me through.
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

I got the hood from a guy that lived in Corning who had many sour deals with other people when trying to sell the hood. He sold it to me for $75 and delivered it to my house near Buffalo, NY for an additional $100 (therefore, no damage in shipment!). It was a great deal considering it would have cost me about 150 in gas and at least 5-6 hours of my time!

The tape is actually lables that indicate where each line goes. I also marked the vacuum lines as well (since there are so many around the throttle body. I have since then removed the starter to access the flywheel so that I could stop it from turning while I remove the crank pulley. Thanks for your input.
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

Now, as of 8/7/08, here is my to do list:

What needs to be done to get her on the road:

Wheels:
- New Brake Pads (front & rear)
- New Rotors (Front & Rear) Drilled
- 4 Tires
- New Lug Nuts

Engine Area:
- Complete the custom intake - COMPLETE
- Flush cooling lines
- Flush radiator
- Drain tranny fluid/ drop pan/replace filter/ new fluid**
- Remove current heads - COMPLETE
- Install newer heads w/ gaskets - COMPLETE
- New valve seals/ valve cover gaskets - COMPLETE
- Cam seals - COMPLETE
- Replace Timing Belt - PENDING
- New Water Pump/ gasket - PENDING
- Replace Alternator (millennia?)**
- Degrease/Paint fuel rails (bronze high temp) - COMPLETE (SEE PIC BELOW)
- Install KLZE rails and injectors (decided to wait until I need to increase fuel flow)
- New Spark Plugs/ Wires - (bought some NGK's Iridium tipped with wires)
- Drain/refill Brake fluid
- Drain/refill Power Steering Fluid
- Replace Radiator Hoses
- Replace Coolant Reservoir
- Install Carbon Fiber Hood - COMPLETE
- Install tranny oil cooler
- Re-route tranny oil lines to cooler
- Clean up engine bay - ONGOING PROCESS (everyone knows this :lol: )
- Remove A/C system - COMPLETE

Here are some new pics that help show how nice things are coming along. I will post pics of the new valve covers tomorrow.

Once engine is fully assembled I will take more pics as well. Then I will begin re-assembling the interior and upgrading that. Looks like I might get her on the road NEXT summer..... but she'll look pretty hot though :wink:
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

That's ALL you need to get her going? :D CF hood?
I hope it goes without hitches.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

UPDATE:

After running this stock setup for a little while, I'm planning on the DE Turbo setup and ATX to MTX swap of course.

still working away but I have the broken bolt out of the block and my timing issue has been resolved (hopefully) thanks to marcdh!
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

Car is now running smoothely. The timing is PERFECT without any misfire/backfire, etc. Idle is smoothe but exhaust is running a bit rich (fuel). Here is my updated list:

What needs to be done to get her on the road:

Wheels:
- New Brake Pads (front & rear)
- New Rotors (Front & Rear) Drilled
- 4 Tires
- New Lug Nuts

Engine Area:
- Complete the custom intake - COMPLETE
- Flush cooling lines - COMPLETE
- Flush radiator - COMPLETE
- Drain tranny fluid/ drop pan/replace filter/ new fluid**
- Remove current heads - COMPLETE
- Install newer heads w/ gaskets - COMPLETE
- New valve seals/ valve cover gaskets - COMPLETE
- Cam seals - COMPLETE
- Replace Timing Belt - PENDING
- New Water Pump/ gasket - COMPLETE
- Replace Alternator (millennia?)**
- Degrease/Paint fuel rails (bronze high temp) - COMPLETE
- Install KLZE rails and injectors (decided to wait until I need to increase fuel flow)
- New Spark Plugs/ Wires - COMPLETE (NGK IRIDIUMS & WIRES)
- Drain/refill Brake fluid - PENDING
- Drain/refill Power Steering Fluid - COMPLETE
- Replace Radiator Hoses - PENDING
- Replace Coolant Reservoir - COMPLETE
- Install Carbon Fiber Hood - COMPLETE
- Install tranny oil cooler - PENDING
- Re-route tranny oil lines to cooler - PENDING
- Clean up engine bay - ONGOING PROCESS (everyone knows this )
- Remove A/C system - COMPLETE

HERE ARE SOME UPDATED PICS!!

Here is how it started:

Here it is now:

fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

It looks 58X better! Good job!
You have what looks like an oil catch can as a coolent overflow reservoir. I think it would serve you better keeping oil out of your intake between the PVC valve, and the TB.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

The reservoir was listed as a universal coolant tank but I've been told by many so far that it looks like an oil catch can. I'm running just water for the time being so I'll just switch back to stock. Thanks for the feedback though, I know many just say "swap it" when it comes time for cylinder head work but I felt I needed to get acquainted with the inside of the engine. I do need to replace the fuel filter, whichhas pressure lines and rust so I know it'll be a b**** to replace.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Replacing the fuel filter isn't bad if you have strong fingers. One trick I use is: Use pliers lightly on the ends of the hose to turn it, so it loosens enough to twist off. You need to break the bond. I like your idea of filtering the EGR line to the intake.
If you use the can as an oil catcher, put the lines in the opposite way that they would be used as a coolant catcher. You want the tube that goes down into the can to be the inlet. I've read also that copper helps filter the oil out of the air, so those coper pot scrubbers are perfect.
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

Completed the audio system setup. I also installed some interior neon lighting (StreetGlow only of course).

I believe that I have some work to do with the EGR valve bc of fuel rich exhaust. I bought a DE EGR that I will install in the spring along with a new gasket. This should fix that problem.... the next project will be brakes and then maybe some new tie rods/ends....
johnmx3ze

Post by johnmx3ze »

very nice and clean i love the CF hood... now you swap it to manual...
mx-3, KL turbo (tooo much to list) yeah its boosted!
worklog====> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=67582" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cardomain==> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3869504/1 ... awks-on-ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

I have some new pics to post up soon but I just picked up a 5 spd tranny and all the swap parts (thanks to sidebergless)! The work will be done by this summer.

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”