Ricer VS Tuner - The Final Frontier

Off-Topic Discussions
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Re: Ricer VS Tuner - The Final Frontier

Post by fowljesse »

I never understood why someone would put $10,000+ into a $2,000 car, when they could buy a used muscle, or sports car for that (which is what I've always done). But, after having the MX-3, I get it. I still wouldn't do it with a grocery-getter, though.

I'm starting to understand building a car with no intention of really driving it, just show. The only thing I'm against is buying something ugly off the shelf that doesn't do anything for performance (including things that would help performance, on a different application). I've seen some butt-ugly custom stuff, but at least they did it themselves.

Ricer just shows ignorance, which is usually due to inexperience, so it doesn't bother me. I just try to give info when I can. And like any insult, people will throw the word around (Some V8 guys say anything Japanese that is altered is "rice"). When I was in the motorcycle scene, I heard a Harley guy call a BMW rice, and the BMW guy said "There are more Japanese parts on yours than mine", and pointed them all out.

I've always been a "tuner", but it was called Hot-Rod before computers managed engines.
One could say dragsters are "Rice" because of the flashy paint jobs, and huge wings, I suppose.
Personally, I think most show cars are Ricers, even if they COULD do 13 second 1/4s, because they never will.

Come to think of it.. It's really an attitude.

Ricer is the guy rattling his gorcery-getter car apart with distorted bass, and $5,000 in parts off the shelf and stickers, sitting so low in his seat, that you can barely see his "hard" gangsta stare, as his huge exhaust belches out a sound like sick lawn care equipment, with rims so big, that it looks like a joke.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
MX3-Life

Post by MX3-Life »

Very True - "I've always been a "tuner", but it was called Hot-Rod before computers managed engines."

And also very true with the BMW Part.
Its happening all over now.

Really well-done comment fowl if i do say so myself.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

Word!

When you are all show and no go, you are a ricer.

When you researched your project, all the parts that go into it and get them to work in perfect harmony, you sir are a tuner.
MX3-Life

Post by MX3-Life »

Im glad everyone is enjoying and thinking hard about this topic.

I just figured someone should do this and i thought why not me, Its just the word Ricer has taken over all imports and Tuner seems to have gone out the window in my oppinion.
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

AWESOME

I always thought of Rice as being useless modifications, a try hard car. Very well done!

The only thing is, you can make a decent car out of a 4 cyl. And fankly i think it's more impressive to pump out 1000HP out of 4 cylinders than it is to do with with 8.
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
MX3-Life

Post by MX3-Life »

Yeah Very true, Thats kinda why i put that they "Think they can do anything on the Street/Strip" when there always limits for a 4 cylinder compared to V6 or V8 but otherwise i see what you mean.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

MX3-Life wrote: But btw it does help traction for your information but the rest you said is right.
Unless you can mash the throttle at highway speeds and easilly break the tires loose, a wing won't help for traction. Wings are used for downforce to keep the car stable for corners; you can kind of look at it like traction because an unstable car will loose traction on a corner and slide (understeer/oversteer), that's the "traction" i'm refering to, but tranction is typically meant in the context of grip from a stand-still.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
inferno94

Post by inferno94 »

Does this mean the full size trucks that are lifted, with glue on scoops, chrome everything, aftermarket lights.... are "ricers" I know a few guys that do that kinda stuff that do it because the "taller, wider, shiner and brighter your truck the bigger your penis".

They laugh at my B3000 "baby truck" but I can off road as well or better than them as I'm less likely to tip over and I get WAY better mileage doing it.
MX3-Life

Post by MX3-Life »

Here ill give you a little truck ricer tip,

You know those Big Lifted trucks with the Shiny $2,000+ Rims, All chromed out and not a speck of dirt? Technicaly they are ricers cause God knows they dont offroad they just act like it. :roll:
jason5151

Post by jason5151 »

To each his own!
as rice is nice with spice i say!
art flatter's to one's price they pay!
but is not for everyone's taste today!
and that's all i have to say!
1996 mx-3 black 1.8 v6
V8KOMX3
Supporting Member

Post by V8KOMX3 »

sweet I must be a tuner cuz my car looks like hell and all parts are performance related even the rims;), go tuners!
Teal 1993 MX3GSZE
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

..... and then there are art cars.....
I rode/ partied on this: http://www.purplepalace.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; 3 story pirate ship dance club made from an articulated city bus. Yes, it drives while you get yo' freak on. The bottom floor is all caouches, and fuzzy every inch... and blacklit. 2nd story: dancefloor. 3rd story GO-GO!
And these:
http://images.google.com/images?gbv=2&h ... rch+Images" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
On another thread, they were called "rice".
When I was a kid, I watched the making of a TV series called "The HighwayMan", in which they had some amazing vehicles, including a Semi made from a helicopter. At the end of the series, the truck converted back to copter, and took off http://hubpages.com/u/78379_f496.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
PushnFords

Post by PushnFords »

My poor MX-3 was owned by a ricer...all kinds of interior trim pieces are brush painted white to match the exterior. The exterior was painted with automotive paint but literally ran with EACH pass of the spray gun. Plus overspray on the wheels....and the paint on the bumper so thick it is peeling off. Not sure how they managed to get a big bare primer spot on the hood.
MX3-Life

Post by MX3-Life »

I'd say Pixie Dust?
OutlaW

Post by OutlaW »

i am a tuner-ricer ... and so is my car :roll:
K8 :: 136.8 bhp---160 nm---108.0 whp---118lbs/torque
ET: 15.567 @ 136 kmh (84 mph)
"Racing a Honda is like being in the special Olympics, you may win, but in the end your still retarded."

Return to “Off-Topic”