Ricer VS Tuner - The Final Frontier

Off-Topic Discussions
MX3-Life

Post by MX3-Life »

*Note* The following accusations are assumptions and are merely based on some facts and a lot of criticism if you are offended by any statement made by the following can go stick their face in their 10” Muffler.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First off let’s start by saying that a Ricer and Tuner are different and have different qualities. Proof is in the leather interior...
Now in today’s world basically anyone with or without a car will call someone with a import a “Ricer” but a ricer can only be correctively used when someone has made the following attempts to “Rice it Up”
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ricer:
Comes from the Latin word Ricarius meaning “to suck at everything you attempt.” (Roughly Translated)

Ricer = A car that has parts that do not contribute to its performance, but only to its appearance.

Examples of Modifications done to be called a “Ricer”

1) Large/Loud Exhaust - That does not exempt any performance.

2) Parts that cost more than the car itself - That does not increase Performance.
i. Rims
ii. Car Decks that are not necessary, Such as... 20” Subs.
iii. Paint Jobs
iv. Some Body Kits

3) Body Kits – Fibreglass parts that do not aid in weight of the car.

4) Pointless “Performance” Upgrades – Parts that look like they would gain HP but don’t, Such as...
i. Painted Engine
ii. Painted Callipers
iii. CAI in places where there is no Cold Air
iv. Larger Exhaust Pipes 3”+ in a low litre car.
v. Decals/Paint Jobs
vi. Fake Hood Scoops
vii. LED Lighting
viii. Everyone’s Favourite! Spinning Rims!

5) 4 Cylinder Car Owners – A Person who believes a 4 Cylinder car is the “s---” and can do “Anything” on the “Street/Strip”

6) Spoilers – Big and almost useless... A Spoiler not working on the effects of the following
i. Aerodynamics
ii. Drag
iii. Downforce
iv. Traction
Tuners are quite often not given the respect they deserve but instead called a Ricer which is followed by the above list. But the below one will fix that problem.

Tuner:
Tuner defined as “a person or thing that tunes”... Hence a car that is tuned.

Tuner = An import/domestic car that has parts that will increase its performance.

Examples of Modification done to be called a “Tuner”

1) No Rice - Few to none of the parts that do not contribute to the car’s performance

2) Performance Parts such as - (Basically Parts that add HP)
i. CAI/Ram Air
ii. Proper Sized Exhaust System
iii. Performance Muffler
iv. Turbo/Super/Nos
v. Ignition Parts
vi. Suspension Parts
vii. Chips that work

3) Cars that are actually faster than their stock version.

4) Car that has a chance in a race against a Muscle Car.
EXAMPLES:
Bob has (2) Honda Civics.
Car #1 Has: Boom Tube Exhaust, Stickers from parts he doesn’t have, Body Kit, Spinning Rims, Glued on Hood Scoop and LED Lights Under his Car.
Car #2 Has: Flowmaster Muffler, K&N Air Filter, Brembo Braking System and a Re-built Engine.

ANSWERS:
Car #1 = Ricer
Car #2 = Tuner
Tuned Rice:

What is Tuned Rice you ask?
Well Tuned Rice is basically a car that has qualities of both subjects, Tuner and Ricer.
But it would seem most predictable that any Tuner cannot out due its fact of being a Tuner.
Basically as I see it, it is a very sketchy subject a Ricer being tuned but as defined in my earlier section a Tuner is defined as “a person or thing that tunes” hence if the car has any part of being tuned it is tuned.

Meaning = Tuned Rice
It will always be more Tuner then Ricer but at best this is what I have for you.
Call it a Tuner by performance
Call it Ricer by Appearance
Or call it by whatever you want...
Overall a Ricer and Tuner together will be a Tuner or if you’re willing to settle Tuned Rice.
Thanks for your Time and Comments... I welcome all kinds of feedback.
Btw, I'm still updating this little topic so if you find errors or anything please let me know.
Last edited by MX3-Life on April 8th, 2008, 12:42 am, edited 5 times in total.
zoomzoom

Re: Ricer VS Tuner - The Final Frontier

Post by zoomzoom »

u guess im a ricer, altho i wish i had more horse power haha
Timbit
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

Ha ha. What about cars with both? Cars such as my friend's 300+ hp AWD *4 cylinder* Laser with the body kit and the park bench wing? (He's removing the latter).
Cody
MX3-Life

Post by MX3-Life »

Im still working on the Duel Car but basicly it works would work like...

If you have more qualities of a Tuner then a Ricer your a Tuner like you said 300hp Ricer is a Tuner basicly... But yet im still working on it so give me some time :)
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

[x] Large/Loud Exhaust - That does not exempt any performance.
[x] Rims
[x] Car Decks that are not necessary, Such as... 20” Subs.
[x] Paint Jobs
[x] Body Kits – Fibreglass parts that do not aid in weight of the car.

[x] Painted Engine
[x] Painted Callipers
[x] Decals/Paint Jobs
[x] Fake Hood Scoops
[x] LED Lighting
[x] Spoilers – Big and almost useless... A Spoiler on a FWD Car.

[x] CAI/Ram Air
[x] Proper Sized Exhaust System
[x] Performance Muffler
[x] Ignition Parts
[x] Suspension Parts
[x] Chips that work

[x] Cars that are actually faster than their stock version.

[x] Car that has a chance in a race against a Muscle Car

From your list, that's there my car stands. I'm not going to argue anything just yet, however, you are wrong on the rear wing on a FWD car; they have their place. Yes you'll see alot of just typical "ricer" cars that will never see a race track and have a wing on it, but a car setup for actual track racing will benefit from a rear wing as much as a RWD car will, and even AWD. FWD cars do significantly understeer out of the factory, so a rear wing is really useless, but even some RWD cars are setup that way too (i rented a V6 mustang, that understeered pretty bad). A rear wing is to stabalize the rear of the car, it's not for traction, cause at a stop and low speeds, a rear wing will not help a RWD car, and that's there is will have most of it's traction issues, and downforce is non-existant at those points.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
MX3-Life

Post by MX3-Life »

6) Spoilers – Big and almost useless... A Spoiler not working on the effects of the following
i. Aerodynamics
ii. Drag
iii. Downforce
iv. Traction

I fixed that part. Thanks for the Head-Up.
But btw it does help traction for your information but the rest you said is right.
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

My car is a 4cl.. :) and its fast.

It also is awd
turbo ..
300hp
305lbtq ;)
MX3-Life

Post by MX3-Life »

lol Nice... I have been working on the Ricer/Tuner Mix but i got some things to do today so i should have it on later tonight.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

I think it's a good list - I've seen a few mx-3's would qualify as ricers IMO but like I always say "to each his own"....
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

But can you be a ricer if you know you are? Aren't ricers generally oblivious to that fact that they are ricers?

I myself am reforming. I've seen the light, and I now know that it's not black and blue... boost has no colour shceme.
MX3-Life

Post by MX3-Life »

Well it the "oblivious" part seems very true... But infact i must say if we all had the money i think we would all go a little ricer crazy.. :P

Just finishing up the Ricer+Tuner.
MX3-Life

Post by MX3-Life »

Update:
I gave my best description at at Tuner and Ricer Mix but as hard as it would be i tried. If anyone has any other Words on that subject please do come forward and give it a whirl.

Thanks for all the Feedback.
se7en

Post by se7en »

MX3-Life wrote:Well it the "oblivious" part seems very true... But infact i must say if we all had the money i think we would all go a little ricer crazy.. :P

Just finishing up the Ricer+Tuner.

lol, I kinda agree, I would go all out crazy paint, and body kit and funky F/G interior, IF I had the money. But I don't so I guess I will have to go with my turbo cars are drive them :)
1992 mx-3 GS-T, 10-12psi, T3/t4 hybrid, Turbosmart WG, AFPR, SSAC TURBO pipes, MSD Blaster coil, K&N, AEM W/B, MSnS(full standalone), 225Whp street tuned(10psi), 245Whp (12psi)(300bhp!!!)
1992 Fairlady Z(JDM RHD) 2+2 TT black(done!)700whp+
My Feedback
Don't Click Here! Trust me,Time waster!
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

Wow. This forum is pretty accepting.

The last two threads that were opened related to the topic of 'rice' on my local carclub had to be locked due to excessive argument. Haha.
Cody
MX3-Life

Post by MX3-Life »

Yep... no arguments yet :)

Return to “Off-Topic”