DELETED

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
se7en

Re: Poor Gas Mileage On A Four Banger???

Post by se7en »

I know dude :) I just had to give you a hard time lol.

with that much commuting, it only makes sense.

gas is 5$ a gallon for premium here in canada too...

but I think that the price is a good sacrifice for driving the turbo cars heh.

cheers

1992 mx-3 GS-T, 10-12psi, T3/t4 hybrid, Turbosmart WG, AFPR, SSAC TURBO pipes, MSD Blaster coil, K&N, AEM W/B, MSnS(full standalone), 225Whp street tuned(10psi), 245Whp (12psi)(300bhp!!!)
1992 Fairlady Z(JDM RHD) 2+2 TT black(done!)700whp+
My Feedback
Don't Click Here! Trust me,Time waster!
neli_nael

Post by neli_nael »

jman271 wrote:se7en- I know I came across as anal about the mpg, but I drive 500 miles a week, so any chance I get to save @ the pump I will try it,,,,gas is $3.35 a gal right now and expected to go up to $4 per gal, in Hawaii right now it is $5.
I am running the Halo plugs, they came in last night,,,,we will see,,,,

Jesse, good I dea on the underbody flow, if I can find a good source for cheap material, it would be worth it,,,,I am going to try to find a way to lighten the car too,,,,,rims maybe,,,,,if I could shave off a 100lbs, that would mean some savings.
It all adds up to better mpg.
heres a pretty good list of lightweight rims

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=43630
94 mx3 rs
92 mx3 gs curved neck klze SOLD
jman271

Post by jman271 »

Thanks!
Philipians 4:13- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I would suggest, when buying rims, getting skinny ones, and skinny, hard, tall tires. If you get taller tires, you'll get better mileage, too. Use your originals for going fast.

Alot of people have used corgated plastic for underbody, and other aero mods. It's the stuff they make campaign signs out of. Just make sure it doesn't touch anything hot.

I know of ways that would cheaply get you into the 40 mpg range. I don't do it, because they would include driving at or below the limit, and not be able to corner ridiculoously fast.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
jman271

Post by jman271 »

Cool, I will look into it,,,,,you sound like a racer @ heart Jesse, ha-ha- J
93BlackMX3

DELETED

Post by 93BlackMX3 »

DELETED
Last edited by 93BlackMX3 on August 7th, 2008, 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

If that was it, you need to change it MUCH more often!
Take care of that sucka!
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
93BlackMX3

DELETED

Post by 93BlackMX3 »

DELETED
Last edited by 93BlackMX3 on August 7th, 2008, 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
jman271

Post by jman271 »

Per a suggestion on the board, I just changed my oil too,,,,I used Royal Purple and a Purolater hi-flo micron filter, car feels even better.
I am gonna post a pick of my hillbilly hot air vent into my intake.

It looks hack, but I just wated to see if it works, before I got all expensive on it, so far so good.

Next is Hyrdogen baby!
jman271

Post by jman271 »

What seems to work best after about 8 tanks is 100% PURE ACETONE mixed as 3oz per 10 gal, I have been also adding in a Xylene mix of about 3oz also, this combo def seems to let the car idle better and the power is def smoother.
I was running Home Depot Acetone, but the 100% PURE available from Sally's Beauty Supply is the nads. It is $10 a gal,(w/a hairdresser card), or $15 w/out it.
Gas just rose to $3.60 a gal today in CT, so I am even more fired up to get the hydro kit giong, more to come- J
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

The Acetone I get @ Home Depot is pure... 1 day, I'll try the Xylene, and Tuolene (since I have high compression). You could also try aero mods like blocking your bumper grill. I blocked the lower one (It's still cold out, and I'm watching the temp gauge, as it warms up outside, and will put in a polished stainless steel screen door mesh over both). You can buy air dams for the wheels ( OEM mud guards, and rear skirts). You can get front mud guards, and turn them backward, and mount them in front of the rear wheels. All of these should net you another 3 mpg, at least. Believe it, or not, your side mirrors increase drag 1-2 mpg.
If you haven't yet, you could make it breathe easier by making a smooth intake (like a CAI, but just put your K&N filter on the MAF).
jman271

Post by jman271 »

OK, I have been away for a while,,,,,I have been messing w/ the mixture and gotten some improvements, it is a pint of 100% acetone and 1 pint of good Deisel mixed for every 10 gals.

I also installed a fuel warmer w/a a flow restrictor before it so the fuel coming in is slowed down a bit and warms up nice and hot going into the intake.

I filled it up this morning and we will see what the mpg increase will be, I hope to get mid 40's, right now before the warmer, I was getting about 38-39 mpg, I am estimating picking up 4-5 mpg w/ the warmer and new mix in the tank.

I will post results @ the end of the week, I will post some pics of the warmer and restrictor. The idea of the restrictor is that the fuel rail will send back the fuel it does not take into the tank, so it does not spend much time in the rail. With the restrictor, it slows it down enough so that it maximizes the warm factor.

If I can get this bad boy up to 45mpg, I will be up from the high 20's low 30's, man, I hope so, gas is now $4.45 a gal for 87 oct and will be $5 a gal by July.

The other option I am going to try once this is tweaked to perfection is fogging the fuel into the intake via a vaccum.

More to come, I hope you all have been well and stay safe- Joshua
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

How did you come up with a pint? My best mileage is with 1 3/4 ounces acetone. And are you using diesel for the lube properties? I think it will leave deposits.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”