Interesting Idea...I will go for it.

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
X3RCKT

Re: Interesting Idea...I will go for it.

Post by X3RCKT »

Cobalt S/C with a Custom made High Rise IM and mount it under the IM. Wouldnt have to be too complicated really.

The spread between the heads is plenty for the Cobalt S/C, it is pretty skinny and longer. This would also make it alot easier to run the plumbing for the S/C and Turbo to hook up.

Are you thinking of making a Y Intake pipe and connecting both the S/C and the Turbo to that pipe?
se7en

Post by se7en »

ya. I am thinking a y pipe would be best....
1992 mx-3 GS-T, 10-12psi, T3/t4 hybrid, Turbosmart WG, AFPR, SSAC TURBO pipes, MSD Blaster coil, K&N, AEM W/B, MSnS(full standalone), 225Whp street tuned(10psi), 245Whp (12psi)(300bhp!!!)
1992 Fairlady Z(JDM RHD) 2+2 TT black(done!)700whp+
My Feedback
Don't Click Here! Trust me,Time waster!
V8KOMX3
Supporting Member

Post by V8KOMX3 »

I would love to see it done, Alot of MX3 guys have found clearence to be the biggest issue, if u can tackle it then new doors will be opened for the community. Insane u r sir and I like that!
Teal 1993 MX3GSZE
se7en

Post by se7en »

Insane??? I am not.....BUT I AM!!!! no, I'm not....you are.....no you are....

arg, the voices in me head, they tell me to make crazy powa.
1992 mx-3 GS-T, 10-12psi, T3/t4 hybrid, Turbosmart WG, AFPR, SSAC TURBO pipes, MSD Blaster coil, K&N, AEM W/B, MSnS(full standalone), 225Whp street tuned(10psi), 245Whp (12psi)(300bhp!!!)
My Feedback
X3RCKT

Post by X3RCKT »

Just out of curiousity, do you know if anyone has ever tried running two TURBOs in line with each other? Large turbe first, then on the outlet side from that turbo a smaller one?

I guess maybe the small one would restrict flow but it sure would spool fast....

I know I am not the best artist in the world but this is what I am talking about...

X3RCKT

Post by X3RCKT »

X3RCKT wrote:Just out of curiousity, do you know if anyone has ever tried running two TURBOs in line with each other? Large turbe first, then on the outlet side from that turbo a smaller one?

I guess maybe the small one would restrict flow but it sure would spool fast....

I know I am not the best artist in the world but this is what I am talking about...

Or flipping them around, would the small turbo help spool the larger one sooner? :shrug:
se7en

Post by se7en »

Ya, people have done that.....We(my shop) did a tractor pull engine with this setup...

It made 52psi of boost, it took the already compressed air, and compressed it further, to cut down on heat generated.

On a car setup, it would not be worth it because of the complication of tuning, etc.

But, if you noticed, I will be supercharging my turbo car, to help with the lower rpm lag.
My Feedback
mazdax3speed

Post by mazdax3speed »

not to knock your idea at all....but this really isnt the best way to go about getting rid of spool time. Honestly why do you think you hardly ever see cars SC/turboed. Investing in a BB turbo that isnt a huge T3/04 ebay turbo will make a world of difference. Bigger turbos do not mean faster cars, the motor wont spool it, and your powerband will be tiny. Besides you could make more power easier just cranking up the boost on a nice tune, and if lag really is a problem theres methanol injection or even a 50shot.

and with the twin turbo thing, alot of TT setups do use different size turbos, but one doesnt flow through the other.....but most TT guys making serious power in anything but a V8 convert to single turbo setups

but if you wanted it more for show and to be different then by all means go for it, im not hatin at all, but theres a reason people dont do that
Orange 95' BPT GT28r, MSII on the way
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

I agree that there are probably better/easier ways to remove lag. However, originality counts big time. I picked up a book about 2 years ago: "How to tune and modify engine management systems" and they did a full write up on a super-turbo MR2. It was crazy, I had no idea that this was an option. They pushed ~550whp. What I found really interesting was at full boost on the turbo, the sc actually puts power back into the crank. Waay more things going on then one would suspect.

I say go for it! Best of luck and other helpful and supportive comments. :welder:

Return to “Forced Induction”