Mx3optidrive's turbo BP build (bodywork and NEW PAINT done!)

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
mx3optidrive

Re: Mx3optidrive's turbo BP build

Post by mx3optidrive »

Well I got something from the mailman today. Finally got my GTR intake from Corksport.

Also, I picked up the engine yesturday from R&D Performance and took it home. These pics are of the engine before I paint the block. I am waiting for a engine lift and that is why it is sitting on the tire and strapped to a bench so it won't tip over.

I will take pics after the engine is painted and make some progress.

Jeff
Shop 506-577-6708
cell 506-381-3503
email danny@jdracing.ca
mx3optidrive

Re: Mx3optidrive's turbo BP build

Post by mx3optidrive »

Well, today I decided to paint the block. I used Dupli-Color Engine Enamel with Ceramic and it was an Aluminum color. It looks good, but I am still up in the air as to if I like it or not. Here are some pics and let me know what you think.

I forgot to paint the black guard behind the cam gears so I will have to mask everything off and paint it black after I get rid of the surface rust.

I hope to have the exhaust mani, turbo, oil lines and a couple other things back on it this weekend.
Shop 506-577-6708
cell 506-381-3503
email danny@jdracing.ca
mx3optidrive

Re: Mx3optidrive's turbo BP build (UPDATED Feb/22/08)

Post by mx3optidrive »

I decided to stick with the silver on the block. I didn't do much lately, just put on the GTR intake, turbo mani and turbo along with the oil line in the block.

My couplers came in yesturday and I am ordering my catchcan too. I am also getting a fuel rail built by wht95scort.

I ran into a problem with my injectors. Seems that injectors made for Honda's will not fit our motors because the tip that goes into the motor is too big. So I wasn't sure what I was going to do because I received the Honda ones and it was so long ago, I didn't think I would be able to exchange them. I called Precisionturbo.net to see what we could do and they were a great help. I am now exchanging my 780cc Honda injectors for a set of 680cc injectors with the right tip that will fit the motor and they should be better for idle.

On with the pics.

Shop 506-577-6708
cell 506-381-3503
email danny@jdracing.ca
10secSim

Post by 10secSim »

SWEeeeET!!! Is your engine kit one of those HP kits from ImportPerformanceparts.net?
B6 1.6L DOHC, CAI, custom intake mani. with internal velocity stacks, 65mm thottle body, probe 4-2-1 header, custom 2.5" high flow exhaust, Centerforce dual friction, MS2, MSD 6A, Tokico struts, EIBACH springs.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2443642" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mx3optidrive

Post by mx3optidrive »

yup, that would be what I used
Shop 506-577-6708
cell 506-381-3503
email danny@jdracing.ca
lost_mx3

Post by lost_mx3 »

great looking build! ipp/flatlander is awsome company. I got a pacesetter header for my b2200 from them. will be watching this progress!
1995 MX-3 1.6 DOHC 5SP.
Bax

Post by Bax »

Bump for update .... It's a very interesting worklog... I'm tearing my gtr engine apart and I'm going to order the ipp rebuild kit and combine it with h beam rods.
'97 Silver Mx-3
mx3optidrive

Post by mx3optidrive »

Nothing really to update so far. I am slowly working on getting my new brake lines, calipers, rotors and fuel pump in. I also had to send back my Precision injectors because the place I bought them from sent me the wrong ones, so Precision actually took them back and swapped them for the right ones. I would recommend them to anyone because of their customer service. I am also waiting for my custom fuel rail, which is being built by a member of Clubprotege.com.

I did get my 4-ply couplers and t-clamps yesturday and ordered my catchcan. I am going to take out my tranny again and clean it and then I will install the clutch and mate the tranny to the motor and drop it all in as one unit after I put in the GS front K member brace.

I will post pics when I get the injectors and fuelrail and let you all know where I stand then.

Thanks for the comments.

Jeff
Shop 506-577-6708
cell 506-381-3503
email danny@jdracing.ca
kab-rst

Post by kab-rst »

awesome setup once again:P

i'm glad that ure manifold fits downward now:P what about your oil line kit?
96 rs-t mx-3, 12.62@114
u have the Zoom Zoom feeling?
mx3optidrive

Post by mx3optidrive »

Well it has been a while. I got a couple things powdercoated and got them back today. They are not on the motor yet but I will get some pics once they are installed.

On with the pics:

Before- Exhaust manifold

After- ceramic coating, not much difference in color

Before: GTR Intake Manifold

After: Extreme Chrome Powder coating

Before: Valve Cover

After: With a Dark Candy Red powdercoating

I know some of you would rather have seen the Mazda and DOHC raised letters left silver, but I actually like it this way because when the light hits it, the letters look a different shade of red.

I got everything done for under $170
Shop 506-577-6708
cell 506-381-3503
email danny@jdracing.ca
npspears

Re: Mx3optidrive's turbo BP build (UPDATED June 16/08)

Post by npspears »

got the intake, exhaust manifolds and the valve cover powder coated for $170? Never had anything powder coated didn't really it was so expensive. Well they look good and should last forever at least. Looking good so far man, can't wait to see when it is finished.
mx3optidrive

Re: Mx3optidrive's turbo BP build (UPDATED June 16/08)

Post by mx3optidrive »

Here are a few more pics of the intake, injectors, fuel rail and valve cover installed on the engine.

Shop 506-577-6708
cell 506-381-3503
email danny@jdracing.ca
RS_OBD'oh_2

Re: Mx3optidrive's turbo BP build (UPDATED June 25/08)

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

Don't forget to powder coat a neck brace. Looks like she's gunna pull hard enough to snap your neck.
mx3optidrive

Re: Mx3optidrive's turbo BP build (UPDATED new hood July 29th)

Post by mx3optidrive »

Well, I finally decided on a hood and a place to get one. I wanted to get a invader style or inverted style hood so I could get rid of some of the heat in the engine compartment, but I didn't want to get a carbon fiber hood. I am not into the black hood on a red car thing so I am wanting to paint the hood and for that fact I thought getting a CF hood would be a waste of money for me.

I talked to Oscar from Pakfeifer Canada, also know on here as EZ_4_FUN, and he let me know that he could get one made up in 5 working days and shipped to me as soon as it was done. Well, then was the big question, can I get it in fiberglass instead of CF and to my surprise he said it would be no problem because the same mold can be used for either product. After talking to him about the shipped price, I took a couple weeks to think about it and talk it over with the wife.

I finally gave Oscar the okay and waited for my hood. After 5 days, he told me that is was finished and would be shipped out as soon as he could get it out. It was a Friday when it was ordered, so it wasn't started to be made until Monday. The following Monday, he told me it was ready and a couple days later he got me the tracking number and it arrived at my place the Monday that just passed. So it took 2 weeks total, to have it made and shipped to me. :love:

Overall, I am very pleased with the whole transaction and will definetly be doing more business with him, I am thinking of getting a MS bumper from him next. Also, the hood is very nicely built and the fitment is really good. I really like how the hood has the under skeleton like the factory hood does and there is a spot for the hood prop and the hinges line up with the hood too.

I would just like to thank Oscar for everything and you will be hearing from me.

On with the pics:

Shop 506-577-6708
cell 506-381-3503
email danny@jdracing.ca
turbomiata

Re: Mx3optidrive's turbo BP build (UPDATED new hood July 29th)

Post by turbomiata »

Nice Build Man! Pretty Serious. I see you are using ETD's Manifold. Have you seen the Fuel Rail they have for the BP engines also? I have one on my Mazda and it is nice.

Here is their eBay link!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mazda-32 ... 0257066584
_ ______________ _
Later, Marc

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”