Front Main Oil Seal

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
ElectricEnergy

Front Main Oil Seal

Post by ElectricEnergy »

Hey guys,

I was working on my ZE last night, trying to replace the front main seal, but I can't seem to get it out. Now I've got it all shredded up and its a bit of a mess.... haha. What's the best way to get these out? The shop manual suggests slicing the lip of the seal and removing it with a screwdriver, but that doesn't seem to be working for me.

David
KL-ZE Swap - OBX SS Headers - 2.5" Exhaust - Falken Azenis Tires - H&R Springs - ZX-2 Struts - CAI - Front & Rear Tower Bar - AWR Motor Mounts - 100hp wet shot (yet to be tested)
kiwimx3

Re: Front Main Oil Seal

Post by kiwimx3 »

Get two long thin self tapping screws, and use a drill to drive them into the
seal, the seal will jack itself out on them or you can use vice grips on the
screws to pull it out.
davmac

Post by davmac »

The screw idea is a good one. I would not drive the screws so far to push the seal out unless you grind the screw tip flat. You might also be successful with a couple of curved picks. You just need to be careful that you don't scratch the crankshaft or the machined edge of the seal housing. It doesn't take too much damage to make it impossible - new seal or not - to make an oil tight seal.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
ElectricEnergy

Post by ElectricEnergy »

wont the screws scratch the hell out of the crankshaft/housing? Which part of the seal should I screw them into?
KL-ZE Swap - OBX SS Headers - 2.5" Exhaust - Falken Azenis Tires - H&R Springs - ZX-2 Struts - CAI - Front & Rear Tower Bar - AWR Motor Mounts - 100hp wet shot (yet to be tested)
kiwimx3

Post by kiwimx3 »

ElectricEnergy wrote:wont the screws scratch the hell out of the crankshaft/housing? Which part of the seal should I screw them into?
your crank is harden to 60rc you won't scratch that unless your using a angle grinder or diamond files

screw the screws into the flat of the seal as there is a steel band inside the seal, that what gives the
seal it's shape.
95 rs

Post by 95 rs »

if you can go to princess auto and get a seal remover. it costs 3.99 cdn. it should work
95 rs with custom short ram air, b&m short throw shifter, probe 2.0L header with 2 1/4" exhaust all the way back, catco high flow cat, apc high flow muffler with 4.5" tip, accel 8 mm wires, blaze red, cf altezzas, gun metal 17" mr7s, slotted cross drilled rotors on the way with hawk hps pads, red and white interior, other then that its stock.
ElectricEnergy

Post by ElectricEnergy »

so such a tool exists! I wish I had known before..... I'll go pick one up. Thanks a lot! I'll try the screws too.
95 rs

Post by 95 rs »

it looks like screw driver with a half moom shaped end on it. very handy tool.
95 rs with custom short ram air, b&m short throw shifter, probe 2.0L header with 2 1/4" exhaust all the way back, catco high flow cat, apc high flow muffler with 4.5" tip, accel 8 mm wires, blaze red, cf altezzas, gun metal 17" mr7s, slotted cross drilled rotors on the way with hawk hps pads, red and white interior, other then that its stock.
smallblockman69

Post by smallblockman69 »

get this tool
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SNAP-ON- ... enameZWDVW" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Smith18

Post by Smith18 »

lol you guys are "to the MAX kind of people" .... its a seal... take a sharp little bent flat head screw driver and push it in and turn it to the side and PULL! lol.. done. :shrug:
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS, V6 KLZE 2.5L, CenterForce Duel Friction Clutch, Nylon Shifter Bushings (from Imazda.com), Integra Cold Air Intake, Millenia Intake Manifold, Indigo Gauges, Pacesetter Header->Resonator->2.5" piping->Dynomax Muffler, VSX Front and back bumpers from FX Designs, AWR Front and back Motor Mounts.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”