nsklzemx3 - 1993 MX-3 GS ***LONG MAY YOU RUN***

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
nsklzemx3

nsklzemx3 - 1993 MX-3 GS ***LONG MAY YOU RUN***

Post by nsklzemx3 »

From noob to novice lol...the transplant:
Here's the poop. I have a 93 Canadian version MX3 with the 1.8 and manual tranny.
As with most 1.8's (so I've been told) shes starting to smoke and is in need of a rebuild.
So last spring a guy approached me in Tim Hortons parking lot complimenting me on my fresh paint and rims and asked if I wanted another one like her. He claimed his had a KLZE, stage 3 clutch, monza exhaust, new axles and spindles and more, all for $1000... because when he took her for paint he found out EVERYTHING was rusted out and it wasn't worth patching up. His daddy told him to abandon the project and he'd get him something else to play with. I decided to wait a few weeks and call with a lowball offer. Well...I lost his number. That was 6-8 months ago.
So, a couple weeks ago I decided to try and track him down, and found he sold it....and the buyer sold it....and the next buyer sold it. Each buyer taking what he wanted.....mostly glass, doors and exhaust. I found it and got what was left for $200.00!!...EVERYTHING for the drivetrain is there except the exhaust :)
So....if i get some pics and find some numbers, could one of you fine gentlemen tell me what I need (in the right combination) to get the 200 (199?) HP that I'm told I can expect? My main concerns are the EGR valve, VRIS, ECU (ECM) & the MAF sensor and how they all work together. Maybe I have everything already except the proper ECU??
I'm "probably" going to need something that is next to impossible to find any longer lol, but the new engine is going in, no matter what. I hope someone can untangle my mind for me :P
Pics soon!
Thanks ppl :)
Last edited by nsklzemx3 on December 6th, 2017, 12:50 am, edited 6 times in total.
'93 MX3
A work in Progress
CURENT UPGRADES: Curved Neck KLZE/Option Import Headers/2.5" Exhaust/Valeo OEM Clutch/Yonaka Motorsports Gaskets & Silicone Tubing/Option Racing CAI/MBX Probe Addiction Wires/Fidanza Flywheel

My Aloha 8.2: http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t258/1981aloha27/Aloha 8.2
Matilta 20
Cygnus 20
Code 40
nsklzemx3

Re: Hold my hand lol

Post by nsklzemx3 »

ok i took some pics. do i have what i think i have??
Last edited by nsklzemx3 on March 15th, 2008, 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'93 MX3
A work in Progress
CURENT UPGRADES: Curved Neck KLZE/Option Import Headers/2.5" Exhaust/Valeo OEM Clutch/Yonaka Motorsports Gaskets & Silicone Tubing/Option Racing CAI/MBX Probe Addiction Wires/Fidanza Flywheel

Matilta 20
Cygnus 20
Code 40
Kirk95gs
Supporting Member

Post by Kirk95gs »

Man you got that for 200$.. nice find!!! now for the motor.. it looks like a eunos 800 motor..(curved neck klze) but to be sure check the head code between the intake runners .. if it says kl31-1a1 / kl31-101 you can be ALMOST shure it is a klze..now on the top of the throtle body there should be a code stamped in.. it should read kl68.. if you see that then you can say that you have a klze..

Here are a couple pic's to show ya..

top view of a t/b .......notice the kl68 on the top left..

here is the proper headcode stamp you should see .. fallow the center intake runner down to the top of the motor.. now on the inside of the head you should see the casting number..

check out the link

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=56280
nsklzemx3

Post by nsklzemx3 »

Thanks so much bro!
You mean like this??
If you strain your eyes you can see KL31-101
and on the TB KL68
:)
Maybe i got a bargain.
Last edited by nsklzemx3 on March 15th, 2008, 1:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'93 MX3
A work in Progress

Matilta 20
Cygnus 20
Code 40
nsklzemx3

Post by nsklzemx3 »

Loads of questions will surely follow when I begin the swap sometime this spring (my shop is unheated)
im the meantime I'll probably pull the KLZE, remove valve covers/intake, clean them up somehow, and cleaning/painting of the block/heads :)

For the first time im getting excited! its almost like looking forward to a date with a hot chick!
Last edited by nsklzemx3 on March 15th, 2008, 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'93 MX3
A work in Progress

Matilta 20
Cygnus 20
Code 40
se7en

Post by se7en »

ya, but with the hot chick, no matter how much money you throw at her, there is no guaranty that she will put out :)

the KLZE on the other hand, well, you know the rest :)

1992 mx-3 GS-T, 10-12psi, T3/t4 hybrid, Turbosmart WG, AFPR, SSAC TURBO pipes, MSD Blaster coil, K&N, AEM W/B, MSnS(full standalone), 225Whp street tuned(10psi), 245Whp (12psi)(300bhp!!!)
1992 Fairlady Z(JDM RHD) 2+2 TT black(done!)700whp+
My Feedback
Don't Click Here! Trust me,Time waster!
nsklzemx3

Post by nsklzemx3 »

se7en wrote:ya, but with the hot chick, no matter how much money you throw at her, there is no guaranty that she will put out :)

the KLZE on the other hand, well, you know the rest :)

She doesn't have to want to put out. As with the KLZE, determination will get it in ;)
Last edited by nsklzemx3 on March 15th, 2008, 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'93 MX3
A work in Progress

Matilta 20
Cygnus 20
Code 40
nsklzemx3

Re: n00b

Post by nsklzemx3 »

Just an update...
I moved my 93 out of dry comfort and to the side of the garage today, then brought the parts car in. Compression test tomorrow morning and then we'll run it for a while to see if the black smoke clears up. If things look good it'll be on the stand by Sunday night :)
Ordered a CAI off eBay and a SS braided clutch line from MBXmotorsports tonight.

Anyone have an ECU??
Last edited by nsklzemx3 on March 15th, 2008, 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'93 MX3
A work in Progress

Matilta 20
Cygnus 20
Code 40
se7en

Post by se7en »

umm, black smoke is always too much fuel.

nothing to worry about....just a tuning problem most likely.

1992 mx-3 GS-T, 10-12psi, T3/t4 hybrid, Turbosmart WG, AFPR, SSAC TURBO pipes, MSD Blaster coil, K&N, AEM W/B, MSnS(full standalone), 225Whp street tuned(10psi), 245Whp (12psi)(300bhp!!!)
My Feedback
nsklzemx3

Post by nsklzemx3 »

Ok just bought new wires from Mike BaXter
and a full gasket set from Yonaka Motorsports thru streetimports.com
First time using eBay lol...toooo easy. Somebody stop me!!
Last edited by nsklzemx3 on March 15th, 2008, 4:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
'93 MX3
A work in Progress

Matilta 20
Cygnus 20
Code 40
se7en

Post by se7en »

Well, if you know what you are doing....changing the gaskets is a good idea.

Just make sure that you clean the gasket surfaces perfect.(and I mean perfect!!!)

I am an engine builder by trade, and you should see the crap people bring to me when they try to 'DIY'.

One guy even left the old headgasket on, and put the new one on top!!! That surface(like all gasket surfaces) has to be perfectly clean of any debris/gasket material/silicone/dirt/etc.

If you know what you're doing, then by all means! have fun :)

I have been in a ze. It was quite fast/fun. Not quite like my turbo'd k8, but still quite fast :)

My Feedback
nsklzemx3

Post by nsklzemx3 »

thanks se7en!
yeah I've done some similar work before and always gently scrape gasket surfaces and usually follow up with a scotch-brite. i'll probably only remove the IM, valve covers and oil pan (for cleaning/painting) but i thought i'd get the whole kit in case i want to knife-edge and port the heads.
'93 MX3
A work in Progress

Matilta 20
Cygnus 20
Code 40
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

Ya that looks like a curve neck klze. only downside of those is they have kl01 cams which are same as us spec klde. Put some kl31 cams in it if you want the full potential out of it without aftermarket cam regrinds. Look around in the classifieds if you want a set.
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
nsklzemx3

Post by nsklzemx3 »

Compression across all six was between 170 and 175.
Ahead of schedule....engine is on the stand and tranny is on the floor.
Minor disassembly and cleaning/painting next, along with new timing belt.
pics to follow :)
Last edited by nsklzemx3 on March 15th, 2008, 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'93 MX3
A work in Progress

Matilta 20
Cygnus 20
Code 40
nsklzemx3

Post by nsklzemx3 »

mx3autozam wrote:Ya that looks like a curve neck klze. only downside of those is they have kl01 cams which are same as us spec klde. Put some kl31 cams in it if you want the full potential out of it without aftermarket cam regrinds. Look around in the classifieds if you want a set.
I don't think that's gonna happen even though I'd like to do it. There are lots of things I'd like to do and cams is only one change that will make more power. I need money for other stuff so cams are not an option for me right now unfortunately. :/
'93 MX3
A work in Progress

Matilta 20
Cygnus 20
Code 40

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”