Jovian2k - 1993 Mazda MX-3 RS BP-T Swapped!

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
Jovian2k
Supporting Member

Jovian2k - 1993 Mazda MX-3 RS BP-T Swapped!

Post by Jovian2k »

For the Latest, turn to the last page... heres a recent pic:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok so finally I have found the time and desire to construct a worklog. As with most, this will always be a work in progress. I hope to receive comments and questions via PM or post. I hope you enjoy, I know looking at other people's worklogs has been helpful for me.

I apologize in advance for the CarDomain.com in the corner of the pics... some of them were just easier to take right from there!

Prologue

Ok so the story begins here... Summer of 2002. This beast finally kicked the bucket (it was my first love, still miss her!). RIP 88 Ford Bronco II

I was heartbroken, oh and broke. I was in fear of having to get an average car like a Toyota Camry or something. I liked the Bronco, it stood out. I got a call from my stepfather (who was working at the time at a Mitsubishi dealership) who suggested I come look at this trade in he had just got. He thought it looked like something I'd like, it was a Mazda.
So the time came to check out the Mazda MX-3. It was black (check), in very good condition (check), very low milage for a 93... 50k (CHECK), and it was... differrent. I was totally unfamiliar with Mazdas, and not really into cars much. To me, this car was great, although all my friend's parents were buying them 00-02's, this 93 was such a step up from the 88 Bronco I was used to. $3200 later (down from $5995 dealership price) I was driving home in it. Here she is soon after bringing her home...

Automatic, 4 cyl, didn't matter to me, I slowly grew to love her, and slowly began to mod her (keep in mind I am not very inclined when it comes to under the hood)

Chapter 1...

6.5" Pioneer 3-way speakers all around
put some bump in the trunk
Pioneer DEH-7500MP

Tints, GTS window visors, and wash.

CF Gauge Bezel

Mother's Plastic Polish, VHT tint on corners, side markers (has since faded)

CF Mazdaspeed Licence Plate Frame, CF Vinyl Wrapped Headlights

THE END... well almost. ATX slowly went, then died. Sadly car sat for a whole semester at college. I was heartbroken, such a costly fix, and I needed a working car. Bought a Blazer and planned to sell the MX =(. Tried selling her for $1000, tons of interest but bc of the dead ATX, nobody wanted to touch it. Blazer was a piece, good truck but poorly maintained... had constant problems. Time to revive the MX-3!

1 Reman ATX Transmission + Transmission cooler later...

Chapter 2...
Bought a set of 18" Motegi Gunmetal MR7's. Too big for me,, rubbed on the struts, tires were bald... Sold 'Em

You have to try on a few pairs of shoes in order to find the right fit

After many hours on the Civic Projector Mod, I gave up. I did not want to take off/cut the bumper (even though it was probably necessary) and I ended up screwing up too many things.. oh well (hehe maybe glass headlamps in the future!)

My friend helped me install Viper 791XV 2-way alarm and remote start. I love it, so nice in the winter time and good to have that added sense of security. Keyless is not hooked up, didn't install an actuator... anyone done it and can direct me on how?

Also, the driver's side door will not lock the passenger like it used to, don't know what we did..?

Took off Old Mazda Logo, put on one from 99 Miata. Looks Nice!

16" Bronze Konig Heliums w/ Falken Ziex Tires
Here you can see the paint discrepency between the door and rear quarter. Some b---- across the street from our house backed out and nailed my car. I awoke to my Viper Receiver chirping at me and saw the damage, dented in the door and fender. Her insurance paid for it. In the process I had rear mudguards bought from Corksport, and a faded DS Mirror painted to match.

Replaced front Axles, boots were shot.
Also new front calipers and pads (should have painted them! :evil: )

Chapter 3
Added GS Front Lip, looks so much nicer!

One of my favorite mods, Leather Eunos Steering Wheel from Japan!

Decided to Mod the New Mazda Logo, I think it give it an aggressive look! Also Painted it Bronze to match the wheels along with the Mazda and MX-3 Emblems.

Also painted the interior trim/vents Bronze. I like it, subtle and non-ricerish. I hate neon colored interiors! :x -Need to take pictures!

Installed Front and Rear Corksport Strut Bars. New ones on the way though!

Installed Tockico ZX-2 Struts w/ Eibach Pro Kit. I have to deal with winters so it works well for me. I am happy with it.

Chapter 4

Redid the tails with Black Vinyl Wrap, looks cleaner.
You can see my Apex'i Muffler and 2 in Catback Exhaust. Was VERY loud (almost like a fartcanned civic) until I had them install a glasspack after the cat. Sounds very nice, plus I can talk to people in my car.

Picked up a Set of 90-93ish 7-spoke Miata Wheels for $125 with newer tires. These will be my winter set. I painted them bronze to match the color scheme.

As you can see... need the winter wheels on!

Today

Installed the freshly painted Miata Wheels. They will be a good set to take the beating of the winter roads and give me a bit better traction. What do you think of the turnout? I personally think it is a better alternative than the steelies I had when I bought the car. I plan to buy small black plugs for the center caps.
Installed the New Corksport Rear Strut Bar...
Tricky Seatbelt covers, took some quality time with Mr. Dremel.

here it is compared to the old Corksport style.

Epilogue

So finally I have a worklog. I love my MX-3 (and all others!), she has always impressed and satisfied me. She is ever reliable, day to day driving and long trips. She has taught me so much... from knowing nothing to knowing a little. I plan to keep her FOREVER haha, well maybe. As soon as the 1.6 powerhouse kicks the bucket, BP-T/MTX time
:twisted:
Last edited by Jovian2k on July 15th, 2014, 2:38 pm, edited 10 times in total.
1993 BlacknBronz RS BP-T/ MTX Swapped!
Worklog
For Sale Thread
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

nice work - your car has come a long way!

I want your steering wheel! LOL the international project NEEEEEEDS it :D
Jovian2k
Supporting Member

Post by Jovian2k »

Better pic of the winter wheels...
Worklog
For Sale Thread
Jovian2k
Supporting Member

Post by Jovian2k »

Finally got some pics of the bronze interior trim...

New CS Rear Strut Tower Brace pic

Installed the ebay CAI... By far my favorite mod! Sounds awesome and now my car actually has some acceleration..

Before
After
Worklog
For Sale Thread
TREVO123

Post by TREVO123 »

Wow a very clean ride! now you need bpt and mtx and you'd be set!!!
TREVO-Under major construction, Bp coming soon! TO a mx3 near you
1993 MX-3 RS,FULL BLITZ KIT(PROTOTYPE)17"10 SPOKE RIMS,SOHC 1.6L.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2189811
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

I've always been against interior painting. But yours is VERY well done. So many people ruin their interior by painting it, and it just looks ridiculous. But I must say, good job.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Jovian2k
Supporting Member

Post by Jovian2k »

Thanks for the kind words guys!
My stupid biotch housemate of mine tried to do me a favor by cleaning the snow off my car... with a SHOVEL! I am so mad, some light scratches and a broken window visor...
Here it is pre-ghetto super glue job. I hate people that don't appreciate beautiful cars :evil: ... guess they don't know how to take care of cars in Maine (where shes from).
Worklog
For Sale Thread
mx3autozam

Re: Jovian2k - 1993 Mazda MX-3 RS

Post by mx3autozam »

Black with Bronze FTW!
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
Jovian2k
Supporting Member

Post by Jovian2k »

Took out the CF Bezel today and replaced it with some speedo rings. I painted them bronze to match (of course). Here is a pic...
Should be getting the following this week:...
Euro Glass headlamps
Euro Signals
OEM Front Strut Brace
OEM small side skirts
... also have to replace my deteriorated rear strut mounts very soon :cry:
Last edited by Jovian2k on January 13th, 2008, 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Worklog
For Sale Thread
jhendrix

Post by jhendrix »

Does that mean...you are selling the bezel? :mrgreen:
OutlaW

Post by OutlaW »

where did you get the speedo rings ?
I want them too :D
K8 :: 136.8 bhp---160 nm---108.0 whp---118lbs/torque
ET: 15.567 @ 136 kmh (84 mph)
"Racing a Honda is like being in the special Olympics, you may win, but in the end your still retarded."
Jovian2k
Supporting Member

Post by Jovian2k »

Just replaced the Rear Strut Mounts... they were pretty rusty!
New KYB Strut Mounts (much stiffer than stock!)
Much better ride, no more clunking back there... some rust on the body near the strut mount but nothing too bad. Good Upgrade :)
Worklog
For Sale Thread
Jovian2k
Supporting Member

Post by Jovian2k »

Got some Cap Plugs for the wheels... Home Depot... $.80 each
Before...
After...
Installed BMW M style spoiler... subtle but "I like"...
Replaced valve cover gasket, I used some gasket sealer on the corners and near the disty... I didn't know if I should use put it over the entire gasket or not. It leaked oil all over my plugs so I gunked it... came out pretty good!
Last edited by Jovian2k on February 6th, 2011, 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Worklog
For Sale Thread
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

Alot of updates, and alot of comments and questions... but no answers???
Car looks like it's came along way. The choices you made on your car is much of the choices I would have done. The Bronze and Black is an awsome choice to go with. Interior being painted isnt really me, but the bronze is yet subtle. I really can't say anything wrong about your car other then you need to do the MTX swap... maybe throw in a BP/T with it.

My questions...

Tell us where you got the rings thats on your guage cluster, and how you done it?
Where'd you get the GS front lip, and do they have more?

Thats all.
Thank you
93 MX-3 2.5 KLZE - KL101 \\ H&R Springs \\ Short Shifter \\ 17" ADR Rims \\ 205/40/R17 Namkang Tires \\ Millenia Manifold \\ Rockford Amp \\ Rockford 12" Sub \\
--- K8 was my gateway drug.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Goood job! I really appreciate DIY stuff, especially Home Depot stuff. Often, when people go DIY, they get crazy, so it's good to see your subtle touches.
The only suggestion I have, is to trim the spoiler so the ends match the curve of the body, so they're not square.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”