REAL DOHC I-4 Cold Air Intake!!!

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
DJGypsy

Post by DJGypsy »

ravensteve9 wrote:What did you do with the hose that went from the intake tube to the IAC? Also, there is a vacuum hose that went to the stock airbox. What did you do about that? Looks awesome!
mine's been "hangin'" since i got the car in 2002. no issues @ all. i don't let it get to close to or touch anything. i zip tied it to the underside of the intake pipe.
-Dan
(SOLD) '94 RS, rebuilt B6 DOHC engine & cyl head, ACT clutch, e-bay CAI, 2 1/4" exhaust, wide open resonator w/ stock muffler, H&R springs, Tokico HPs, front strut tower brace, KVR drilled rotors w/ carbon fiber pads, Falken tires, Impostor lightweight wheels, Kenwood & MTX sound.

straights are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers.
jamesmx3

Post by jamesmx3 »

had a go at those black plates today and had no luck, does any1 have a picture of the plates in position without the filter amd piping? i really struggled with it and scratched up the pipe, gettin P'd off with it. help!
DJGypsy

Post by DJGypsy »

jamesmx3 wrote:had a go at those black plates today and had no luck, does any1 have a picture of the plates in position without the filter amd piping? i really struggled with it and scratched up the pipe, gettin P'd off with it. help!
page 1 of this thread has a pic or two of this. he'd be the guy to ask for help with this one.
-Dan
(SOLD) '94 RS, rebuilt B6 DOHC engine & cyl head, ACT clutch, e-bay CAI, 2 1/4" exhaust, wide open resonator w/ stock muffler, H&R springs, Tokico HPs, front strut tower brace, KVR drilled rotors w/ carbon fiber pads, Falken tires, Impostor lightweight wheels, Kenwood & MTX sound.

straights are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers.
jamesmx3

Post by jamesmx3 »

just spent the best part of an hour getting those plates it, i hadn't really looked at the one with the bends in but its shaped to the inner wheel arch, once i found that the other went in after a few attempts.

cheers guys
g0t_slack

Post by g0t_slack »

SpikeDerailed wrote:I have considered a CAI, but that whole potential to hydrolock the engine.
::noob warning::
Does hydrolock go away, or is it a permanent thing? I haven't seen to many people with that problem, but wouldn't it be a better idea to not use the whole kit and keep the filter up closer near the manifold (less chance for water)?

I read that some people say you get petter performance with less tube.
-=[93 RS SOHC/ 16' Enkei Wheels/ CAI/ - Daily Driver ]=-
-=[93 RS Project Car http://mimx3.com ]=-
Cy

Post by Cy »

g0t_slack wrote:
SpikeDerailed wrote:I have considered a CAI, but that whole potential to hydrolock the engine.
::noob warning::
Does hydrolock go away, or is it a permanent thing? I haven't seen to many people with that problem, but wouldn't it be a better idea to not use the whole kit and keep the filter up closer near the manifold (less chance for water)?

I read that some people say you get petter performance with less tube.

Hydrolock in most cases breaks things...pistons crack, rods bend or bust, cylinder walls explode....Generally not a recoverable condition...

as for not getting it....just use a bypass valve and you'll be fine...
g0t_slack

Post by g0t_slack »

I just scored one of these from ebay. Do I need anything extra other than what comes in the kit to install it?

I'm putting it on my RS 4cyl 16v sohc.
-=[93 RS SOHC/ 16' Enkei Wheels/ CAI/ - Daily Driver ]=-
-=[93 RS Project Car http://mimx3.com ]=-
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

g0t_slack wrote:I just scored one of these from ebay. Do I need anything extra other than what comes in the kit to install it?

I'm putting it on my RS 4cyl 16v sohc.
I've used an ebay "generic" water bypass valve and it did not have good engineering and it broke off...

I now have an AEM water bypass valve and have been happy since... I don't recommend the generic ones!!! bad experience!!!
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

Maybe this is my personal opinion, but the chance of hydrolocking your MX-3 is ever so very slim. Common CAI setups that I've seen, that DO have a chance of hydrolocking, sit unprotected, no splash guards, and a foot above the bare terrain.
However, you look at our cars, and the filters have their own personal compartment with a small dam filtering from the front. The only way I can think of you sucking in enough water to cause hydrolock would to be trudging in water that covers up above your front bumper, right below the headlight. and even then, the water would have to be shooting directly at your car.

Am I the only one who thinks the chance of hydrolocking in a MX-3 is slightly ridiculous?
facko

Post by facko »

im with u superk i dont see hydrolock being a big problem with the way the CAI is set up...im just thinking that if u get enough water in there to lock the motor up, probably due to a dumb*** move on the drivers behalf
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

You know, I hate to say it, but I wouldn't mind this stickied, at least for a while.

those CAI questions seem to come 5 times a week.
And if not, at least this is bumped to the top that way it gets some exposure.
4gethonda

Post by 4gethonda »

plate for what? i dont even seen them on any of the cars what do they do? also why dont you just run the CAI down under the car instead of that complicated design?
EuroXguy

Re: REAL DOHC I-4 Cold Air Intake!!!

Post by EuroXguy »

im about to put in my CAI..im using an integra one...as what the guy said above..what are these plates?? i thought u just take out stock intake system..put the new pipes in connect maf(do you have too??what do i need to not need it??) and bring down to the hole put filter on...or am im wrong

yes im a noob at this
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

You definately need your MAF/VAF. Without it your car will not run. Theres a thread on substitutes though. Its still a MAF/VAF, but its bigger. 2nd gen RX7's for VAF's and MAF's.... I don't know :)
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Egfconnor

Post by Egfconnor »

anyone know where to get this kit nowdays? i just did a completely custom intake to my car and well its really bad..kinda falls apart and stuff but main problem is that car idles horribly and will even kill right when you start it up if i dont keep the revs up by pushin on the gas. i have a breather on the valve cover, let the small tiny hose hang, and the big fat vacuum hose i connected to the intake, but its in front of the maf sensor..if that matters? and also i turned it into a smaller hose, im not sure if thats somehow restricting that vacuum or somethin..and also i monkeyed around with the idle screw and the throttle stop and well there all messed up and i dont know which i should be turning...if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated as im running pretty rough right now!

**its a 1994 rs, 1.6l dohc for information

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”