REAL DOHC I-4 Cold Air Intake!!!

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
DJGypsy

REAL DOHC I-4 Cold Air Intake!!!

Post by DJGypsy »

i bought this off of e-bay for $50 US. it's for the SOHC, but it fits my DOHC just fine. i like this one a LOT better than the PRM system, as this system completely eliminates the stock piping.

here's the product link, from the manufacturer:

http://www.aspecproducts.com/images.asp?theid=1320

here's some pics of the box, the parts, and the installation.

enjoy! go buy one!

-Dan
(SOLD) '94 RS, rebuilt B6 DOHC engine & cyl head, ACT clutch, e-bay CAI, 2 1/4" exhaust, wide open resonator w/ stock muffler, H&R springs, Tokico HPs, front strut tower brace, KVR drilled rotors w/ carbon fiber pads, Falken tires, Impostor lightweight wheels, Kenwood & MTX sound.

straights are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers.
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

exact same setup ive got, only you forgot the most important pieces, thoes black plates. make sure you install them it makes the biggest difference out of everything.

Bochek
Adam Bochek's 93 1.6L SOHC http://www.bochek.ca/car.gif
DJGypsy

Post by DJGypsy »

if i install those plates, then i have to cut some other holes in that compartment to let air in. do you have pics of your install? i haven't gotten that far yet, but in the meantime, i really wanted to share my find because i know people want CAIs.
-Dan
(SOLD) '94 RS, rebuilt B6 DOHC engine & cyl head, ACT clutch, e-bay CAI, 2 1/4" exhaust, wide open resonator w/ stock muffler, H&R springs, Tokico HPs, front strut tower brace, KVR drilled rotors w/ carbon fiber pads, Falken tires, Impostor lightweight wheels, Kenwood & MTX sound.

Bochek

Post by Bochek »

no you dont have to cut holes to let air in, if you look REALLY HARD you will see that there is allready holes in there. they lead into the inner fender, wich leads to the wheel well.

Bochek
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I dont suppose you have a e-bay link to this do you? Just want to check out the seller.. I bet this kit would work well on the GS cars too.. though probably with some slight modifications. Nice choice :)

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
DJGypsy

Post by DJGypsy »

Tunes67 wrote:I dont suppose you have a e-bay link to this do you? Just want to check out the seller.. I bet this kit would work well on the GS cars too.. though probably with some slight modifications. Nice choice :)

Tunes67
try this, i hope it sticks around for a while...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-97-MA ... enameZWDVW
-Dan

Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Thanks.. I will watch this seller.. I dont have the cash at the moment to buy this.. saving up for my headers.. but I will need to be doing a CAI soon enough :)

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

thats the exact same seller i got mine from, just search "mx-3 cai" on ebay and lots come up...

Bochek
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

it'll be a real intake when you find one that eliminates the stock maf body and just uses the plug like some of them or whatever it is, but you know what im talking about so dont correct me lol.
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

Hey, I used that black plate with the hole in it to support the intake as it dissapears down the fender.
Also adapted the intake to place the MAF a little over from the distributor (cause the BP thing is huge) so it didn't hit the plug wires.

-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

i have the same setup, how much diff did adding the plates make? ive been runnin mine without them. ima try putting them on today.
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE
Mazdaracer

Post by Mazdaracer »

It's only a real one if it's 2.5" piping... looks like 3" from the pics.
THINK FAST, GO RACING!!
2004 Mazda6 Wagon
2004 Mazda3 Sedan
1990 BG8P Protege LX - KLZE - Race Preped - #98 SM - SCCA Solo2
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

Great! I was just telling my friend I wanted to put CIA in my car today!

so the cone filter that the package comes with... do you recommend buying a high quality filter, say K&N cone with this, or just use the one bundled? Thanks a lot for the post!
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
GoneAmok
Supporting Member

Post by GoneAmok »

First off, many thanks to DJGypsy for putting up this original post. Happy to say that I am now a new owner of exactly the same system (from ASPEC Products). I bought it off ebay and am quite impressed with the quality of the product.

To touch upon what SuperK highlighted, for those of you using the system, did you oil the cone filter that was provided (for example, with K&N's Filtercharger oil or something similar)? Or is it to be used dry (there is no mention of this issue in the instructions)? Additionally, would one be 'safer' using a K&N filter (where we know the quality of the filter)?

Any insight provided is greatly appreciated.
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

use the cone dry, when it gets dirty, wash it with water, from the inside out, and then let it dry.

Bochek

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”