Ignition Module Maybe??? Please Clarify.

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Lexy

Ignition Module Maybe??? Please Clarify.

Post by Lexy »

Hey Guys,
Laugh it up...I've never owned a car. I thought I did enough research before buying my car...but apparently not. I own a 94 MX3 Precidia. Immediatly started overheating. Luckily I figured that one out and only had to replace my thermostat. But now its been off the road for about a month and my boyfriend and Landlord keep looking at it and basicly i keep relplacing parts that are not doing anything. So i am now taking it to my own hands and am hoping you all can help.

Heres what I do know.
I was driving and everything locked and shut down on me. Power steering, brakes, and gas. And would not turn over. Had to push it back to my house.

I am getting no spark.

I replaced the spark plugs, they were pretty bad. And what my landlord thinks is called a cam centre was full of rust so that was cleaned up. Unfortunatley that did nothing.
I've been reading tons of these threads and forums and i think it might be the ignition module. But again i've put alot of money into this car already, and don't want to go on "could be this or that" anymore. Please help me out.
Thanks so much.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

First thing to do is check CEL codes (This is assuming you live in North America since other locations may not have the CEL)

Do a bit of searching for CEL Codes and you will find out how to do this. That will give you a lot more of a difinative answer off the bat. Cheers

Tunes67

P.S. If after searching you still have questions.. I can do a more descriptive answer.. but all this information has been discussed hundreds of times.
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Lexy

Post by Lexy »

I have no idea what a CEL Code is. But i did look into it and found this website
http://www.atlantamx3.com/mocaforum/vie ... 06658ea03b

Is this what im looking for?

thanks again :oops:
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

A CEL code is a Check Engine Light Code. And yes that is a table of CEL codes for our V6 Cars. The CEL is on the dash to the left side of the speedometer. You will see it light up and go off when you first start your car. That page gives all the info you need to pull your CEL code(s) if you have any present and will even tell you what code means what. Hope this helps.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)

Lexy

Post by Lexy »

ok so i tested them and this is what i got...i was looking at the chart and i dont really understands what they mean.

3 fast
8 fast
9 fast

1 slow
2 slow

4 fast
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Is that the exact order they flashed in?

Tunes67

Lexy

Post by Lexy »

yep
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Well if I am reading that right.. you have codes

(the first 1 slow is a seperator)

What that translates into is

03 camshaft position sensor - this is the one that is probably preventing your car from running. Typical when the distributor is going out.

08 Volumn Air Flow Sensor - These rarely go bad.. its more likely the plug is lose. If it is bad.. find one used cause a new one will cost $600 or so.

09 Coolant temp sensor - these seem to go bad fairly often so this isnt a surprise.. if you were having idle issues.. this was the likely culprit

24 RHO2S inversion error - This is usually O2 sensor related.. but not always. I "Think" this is the code for the rear O2 sensor. I am sure others here will correct me if I am wrong.

Bottom line.. thats a lot of codes to throw at once.. I would clear the ECU and see if the car starts. To clear the ECU.. disconnect the battery for at least 5 minutes and then pump the break pedal 2-3 times. Then reconnect the battery and see if the engine will start. Then check codes again to see if the same codes throw a second time.

Cheers

Tunes67

Lexy

Post by Lexy »

I just found out that my landlord was looking at my car earlier and had disconnected the air filter and a bigger section connected to it. I don't know if that would've affected any of the codes. But i am going to go reconnect that and i'll try the battery thing. thanks :D
Hopefully this works. Crossing fingers.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

That was your code 08. Good thing too.. thats a spendy part to replace LOL

Tunes67

Lexy

Post by Lexy »

ohhhk. so no codes now? and definetly didn't start up....
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

No codes at all after you tried to crank it over?

Tunes67

Lexy

Post by Lexy »

Nope, nothing. waited and waited. I even let the battery sit for longer than 5 minutes. makes no sence to me. what does no codes mean?
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Basically it means the ECU isnt getting an error code from the faulty device(s). Even if the car doesnt start.. it should still throw error codes when you try to crank it over.

Tunes67

Lexy

Post by Lexy »

well my battery needed a boost when i was doing it....could that have anything to do with it? I tried again....no codes still? damn car.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”