How hard is it for you to put it in first?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
94mx3precidia

How hard is it for you to put it in first?

Post by 94mx3precidia »

as the title says, How hard is it for you guys to put it in first? All my other gears go in easy but say if im comming to a stop sign from 5th, put in the clutch, then put in into first really hard. I mean i have to kinda push hard on the shifter knob to get it in. There are no noises or grinding when i put it in, its just hard. I donno, its kinda hard to explain, let me know how it is for you guys. (94 GS 1.8L, 199000klm)
1994 MX-3 GS KLZE, Probinator, Bully stage 1 (probe GT), B&M Short Shifter, 2 1/4" Custom headders back.
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

I don't think I ever really go from 5th to 1st, but have you tried coming to a complete stop first before trying to shift. If that doesn't work push the shifter into 2nd then 1st.
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

ya i usually put into 3rd or second now before putting it into first and it helps
1994 MX-3 GS KLZE, Probinator, Bully stage 1 (probe GT), B&M Short Shifter, 2 1/4" Custom headders back.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

I normally don't ever downshift to first for this very reason... sometimes I'll shift from 5th to 3rd, then to 2nd. But I agree 1st is difficult to get into when rolling and it's always been like that. It's a little more difficult in my 626 tranny than the mx-3 tranny. This is only for downshifting though. If I am stopped going into first is no problem for either car.
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

ok just as long as other people are haivng the same problem as me im good. i was worried it was a bearing or something.
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

dont think of it as a problem, its more like a safety feature, if you could easily shift into 1st from 5th then BOOOM :)
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

true, thank god for factory defects.
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Yeah, I can't really shift into 1st from any gear until I'm going like 2 mph or standing still.

I think that's a good thing.
Smith18

Post by Smith18 »

Yeah its a good thing but can be annoying some times in traffic.
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS, V6 KLZE 2.5L, CenterForce Duel Friction Clutch, Nylon Shifter Bushings (from Imazda.com), Integra Cold Air Intake, Millenia Intake Manifold, Indigo Gauges, Pacesetter Header->Resonator->2.5" piping->Dynomax Muffler, VSX Front and back bumpers from FX Designs, AWR Front and back Motor Mounts.
cerian_ca

Post by cerian_ca »

in winter the first downshifts are quite hard tough (when the car's still cold, even in second) I heard that putting gm or penzoil syncromesh tranny oil helps big time but I haven't tried yet
MRoy
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

I couldn't shift into first until I was stopped
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

really? i can shift through all my gears if im crusing to a stop sign(with clutch in) the only one thats hard is first and a little bit for second. I dunno, this is my first standard car so it could be the same for all cars.
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

i have no prob shifting to first from any gear....not that i do it alot...

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

You can shift into first but only if you are going at a VERY low speed.. like 5 mph or less. If you try it faster than that, the transaxle grinds or wont let you. Safety feature. 1st is only there to start off from not to downshift to.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

[quote="hgallegos915"]You can shift into first but only if you are going at a VERY low speed.. like 5 mph or less. If you try it faster than that, the transaxle grinds or wont let you. Safety feature. 1st is only there to start off from not to downshift to.[/quote]

i was talking about with the clutch in, i dont downshift to slow down. id like to keep my clutch goin for as long as it can.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”