MX6 swapped box but problems!! :(

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
Chemical

MX6 swapped box but problems!! :(

Post by Chemical »

Hi Folks,

Been offline here for a while due to my mx being also offline..

Just had the MX6 gearbox swap done by my local mechanic- not happy! The box itself is fine but I naturally replaced the clutch and outer cv's and boots. It now drives like a dog and judders from take off and there is a knock each time I change gear. I've had it back to him but he says he cannot find anything wrong with it and is trying to blame the new clutch....I suggested the mountings but he says they seem fine. I've jacked it up myself and the hubs themselves have no play in them as far as I can tell.

I did this swap to lower final drive but stupidly shouldve had the box split and just taken 5th out and had it put im my mx3 box as it's a good deal slower off the mark.. oh well live and learn.

Also when I reverse left or right the wheels kick back/skip/drag... like the alignment is screwed but it drives fine and straight in forward. Oh, and at speed if I turn through a left bend there is noise like what I used to have in my old rwd holden- like diff noise...
I have looked at the way the box is in and can some one tell me if the top front mounting point is different on the MX6 versus the MX3 as there is clean open thread on the left of the mount like there should be something there.. erm like a mount.. if you get me.

Anyways hope someone can give me a few tips as I'm not takin it back to him- I think hes actually a tractor mechanic in disguise!!

PS:
Some one a while back was askin me for UK spec glass lights- sorry I didnt get back to you but I was in Oz at the time so whoever it was drop me a line on here and I'll sort you out what i can. :roll:
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Did you get new axles. It sounds like perhaps an axle is binding. Could be that you got MX-6 axles which would be too long.
As for the clean tapped hole, which mount are you talking about. There are three mounts on the trans. One front (close to he radiator), one side (close to the battery), one rear (close to the shift lever). However, all the mounts on the MX-6 are in the same place as on the MX-3. They are not the same mounts, but just connect to the same places in the same way on the tranny.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Chemical

Post by Chemical »

Hi Pat,
Nope, same axles

The clean tapped hole is on the box just under the airfilterbox- there is a mount right next to it which I assume is the one you mean near the battery. No digi-cam so cant show you what i mean
Mazdaracer

Post by Mazdaracer »

On the MX6's and Probe GT's that i have seen, the rear trans mount is not the same.... these seem to use a subframe mount, where the MX3 uses a crossmember mount. (this is the rear mount, by the shifter linkage...easier to see when under the car)

Hard to say, could be the clutch or the clutch slave...but kinda sounds like the internals are not cooperating.
THINK FAST, GO RACING!!
2004 Mazda6 Wagon
2004 Mazda3 Sedan
1990 BG8P Protege LX - KLZE - Race Preped - #98 SM - SCCA Solo2
Chemical

Post by Chemical »

Cheers.
Anyone think the same?
Tommy D

Post by Tommy D »

Wow, same problem i have!

I have a K8 box on a ZE, blew the first one up and has the second one dropped in. I changed driveshafts but the problem whatever it is messes them up.

Turning Right or driving forward all is fine, turn left and all hell breaks loose, juddering, even under slight left steering and aceleration it judders. It only backs off when i balance throttle load with the rolling speed of the car...

It was fine before the engine was swapped, yet it went through MOT (Annual Vehicle Test in UK) fine...

Any answers welcome as its a pain in the arse.....
rece

Post by rece »

have you replaced the berrings on the front. I had a similar problem and replaced the cv's but still noise comming from the front. if you have not replaced them, it is an inexpensive fix that is good to do anyway
Jesse<BR>red 92 gs
Chemical

Post by Chemical »

I replaced outer CV's and clutch. I had a rear wheel drift last night too- usually just understeers. I really thought I was going to crash and was unable to steer out of and just decided to hang on till it stopped.. facing the wrong way... And no, I was.nt being a boy racer- just a lil quick like I used to before I changed the box.
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

What are you guys running for axles?? The mx6 axles with an mx3 outer?

almost sounds like your axles are binding...
Tommy D

Post by Tommy D »

I have a K8 box on a ZE. Running MX3 standard Axles...

I put some newer axles in, it got a bit better but the juddering was still bad, there is something wrong somewhere.....

I dont think its a bearings as there is no way a bearing can cause a judder this bad, as its smooth in all other driving with no noise whatsoever..
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

Sounds like a bad axle to me. We experienced a similar problem on a ZE that used stock suspension, but when we changed it for aftermarket the car was shaking like hell. Turned out to be a bad axle and wheel bearing.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Chemical

Post by Chemical »

Ok, bad axles you think. But I am hestitant to accept this as the axles were fine before the swap and the MX6 'box is exactly the same save for ratios. The 'box itself is sweet as far as throw etc just from takeoff .. oh and bad cornering lol
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

I would generally agree that it might not be an alxe, but you are short on options. Check the hub bearing again, make sure the wheel is on tight and all bolts for the suspension are tight. (do not overtighten) There are only a few parts on the front suspension that will give a vibration during turning- breaing, axle (most common two), could be a loose bolt letting things bounce around (wheel, suspension, strut mount, strut). I would jack the car up, check everything with a shop light so I'm sure I'm seeing everything. Give a feel just incase it is something you can feel, but not see. All the grease, dirt and stuff can make everything look the same or cover a problem. Then spin the wheel around, turn it and push it up and let it down (compress the strut by pulling the wheel up). However, I doubt that will tell you much since I doubt it is bad enough for that little force to show the issue.
Chemical

Post by Chemical »

Thanks Pat. Will do.
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

NP, just trying to help a Bro from the Home Land out ;)

Return to “Transmissions”