F2T swap!

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Josh
Supporting Member

Re: your swap

Post by Josh »

patrickklze wrote:Dude I've considered this swap, I've attempted this swap. It won't work. Just wait till you try to put the motor and tranny in and you find out you need to cut the frame rails cause the crank pulley rubs the frame. It needs so much custom work it isn't worth it. I just bought a 94 gs with a blown tranny for $600 and it's in great shape I've got a klze for it. It will be faster and better and alot easier to install. Trust me I know!! The 2.2 won't fit unless you do custom chassey work "then lets see your car drive in a straight line". Sorry man It's just I've already thought of it and I now have a low milage f2t sitting in my shop collecting dust. If you want more info on the problems I ran into email me. cause there was alot of them.
like Bochek says, it will fit with about 1/8" of clearence. It will fit. and its nothing some modeling with a hammer wont fix. the swap shouldent be all that difficult.
patrickklze

Post by patrickklze »

well than your f2t and tranny are some how different then mine. unless you think your going to mount an f motor to a b series tranny. Then the wiring dude it's realy hard. sell the four get a 5 speed with a 1.8 and put in a kl it will be faster sound nicer and impess more people than an old f2t with an ihi turbo on it. plus those engines wont take a beating. 5500 tops.
own 3 mx-3. 2 fours 1. 6
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

patrickklze wrote:well than your f2t and tranny are some how different then mine. unless you think your going to mount an f motor to a b series tranny. Then the wiring dude it's realy hard. sell the four get a 5 speed with a 1.8 and put in a kl it will be faster sound nicer and impess more people than an old f2t with an ihi turbo on it. plus those engines wont take a beating. 5500 tops.
well any how the klze is a nice swap but if you do some reasearch the 1.8bp has more parts to make it faster..

plus if this guy can get a f2t in the good for him....somone else got a f3n in...remeber anything can be done with enough time & money
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

patrickklze wrote:well than your f2t and tranny are some how different then mine. unless you think your going to mount an f motor to a b series tranny. Then the wiring dude it's realy hard. sell the four get a 5 speed with a 1.8 and put in a kl it will be faster sound nicer and impess more people than an old f2t with an ihi turbo on it. plus those engines wont take a beating. 5500 tops.
i put an AWD trans in. that took alot of grinding, and fitangling. it takes up so much room you cant just lift it in and out. i have almost no room. anything is possable.
Nd4SpdSe

Re: your swap

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

patrickklze wrote:It won't work.
An F-series has been done once already
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
bpt323

Post by bpt323 »

why is everyone so damn negative towards this swap...
bochek more power to ya!! let me know when you get it together, Id like to drop a fe3 into mine to replace my bpt & i can use a decent parts list/ writeup on how to do it.
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

The fe3 has been done, and it fits, the f2t has been put into a protege (wich has a smaller engine bay)

Anyways, just to let you all know the car made it out of the 6 foot snowbank and into the autoshop on friday.

its now march break so give it a week and il get on it.

- Bochek
Adam Bochek's 93 1.6L SOHC http://www.bochek.ca/car.gif
patrickklze

Post by patrickklze »

hey man I'm back on it! I've got a machine shop at my disposal this time I'm going to try a custom bell housing. We'll see? I want to make a bolt in so I can avoid custom shafts. Just so you know I'm not against this swap It's just that i tried it 3 years ago with no success. I'm going to try again You've re inspired me. Thanx? I have to leave it as a question cause I think I'm going to curse the day i read this post when I total my mx3. either it will work and that little tork monster of a motor will tear off the front end or It won't work and I'll burn it down. good luck I'll let you know what I come up with.
own 3 mx-3. 2 fours 1. 6
MazdaManiacMx3
Supporting Member

Post by MazdaManiacMx3 »

To all of you that said this swap couldn't be done your wrong check out this auction

YES THATS A F2T in A MX-3 :roll:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mazda-MX ... enameZWDVW
93 Kandy Tangerine Mx3 GS-DE
05 Saab 9-2x (Wrx power plant)
02 Subaru Impreza OBS
05 Subaru forester Xt - sti mods
04 dodge ram - toy hauler -FOR SALE
& Lots of Toys to haul :D
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

yea ive been watching that auction for some time now,

anyways just wanted to update you all,

got the probe into the shop today and started tearing into it. The engine should be out by Monday. (If your counting that works out to about a 3 hour engine removal) I can't believe how well maintained this car is. The turbo has NO play in the shaft at all and spins very well.

For the record, i can remove the rad from a probe in 5 mins 24 seconds. including draining the coolant. Bets are fun ;)

- Bochek
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

how would this motor fit in where the sohc b6me belongs? lots of work? or is it as easy as the bp.
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

mazdamx3sohc wrote:how would this motor fit in where the sohc b6me belongs? lots of work? or is it as easy as the bp.
not a direct swap, if you need more information, read the last 4 pages.

But a update for everyone, the motor is out of the probe, as well as all the wiring harnesses and the ecu, and i have noticed a few things

The guy who used to own the car took VERY good care of it.
There is a small oil leak around the turbo
There is a larger oil leak around the disty seal.
This engine is WAY BIGGER then the b6. ;-)
so the next job is get the motor torn apart, and rebuilt, so far the tranny's off, (its still the origional clutch with 350k km on the car)

Can anyone sujest a good clutch that will handle 350 lb/ft tq?

Thanks,
- Bochek
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

just to let you know, I went to advanced auto last week and asked for a replacement O ring for my disty. They didn't have it. So I went out in my car, took off my disty in the parking lot and brought it back in and said, "I need an oring to fit here"

and they brought out some O rings till we found a exact match. pried the old one off, put the new one in, oiled it up, and put it back in the car. no more oily leaks.

cost: 68 cents
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

Yep, ive got a set of O rings. all different sized.

I believe it comes with the gasket kit tho.

- Bochek
MazdaManiacMx3
Supporting Member

Post by MazdaManiacMx3 »

I think I motivated you Bochek .. :lol:
93 Kandy Tangerine Mx3 GS-DE
05 Saab 9-2x (Wrx power plant)
02 Subaru Impreza OBS
05 Subaru forester Xt - sti mods
04 dodge ram - toy hauler -FOR SALE
& Lots of Toys to haul :D