muffler suggestions

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

They're both cannons, they're going to be loud :(

Just remember, you get what you pay for. Spend a little money and get something nice. If you get something off of ebay, it's going to be stuffed with that steel wool sponge crap that's going to "absorb vibrations".
cheap. air doesn't flow as well in those types of exhaust, since it flows through all the fibers, instead of flowing straight out.
You won't notice any "quieter" difference in yours and those mufflers, I'm pretty darn sure
reaper of souls

Post by reaper of souls »

if you want to stick with that style go for the obx evo (the first linnk) it's a tuable muffler meaning that the silencer is bulit in to it you can adjust the slots for either wide open or adjust to your sound out put but to help with lowering the noise of that cannon pr anyone think about adding a different resonator before it or even keep the one you have on now and toss on a 2 chamber muffler before the overaxle section

idea would be to go with magnaflows 4" x 9" Oval XL
In/Out 2.5 Length 14" Overall 20" Part # 13236 that would be the best for th application this way you'll keep the noise down and still have a lest restrictive exhaust then with the stock muffler

Reaper
[/img]
Image 96 X-90 4x4, 16v custom ram air intake lockers front and rear with 5.83 ring and pinion.
blindfendersk8r

Post by blindfendersk8r »

apexi dunk looks very similar to the obx evo, theyre not made anymore so good like finding one, but i have a friends with one on a prelude, its not obnoxiously loud
kellywellz

Post by kellywellz »

I had a muffler shop do my full exhaust because my car didnt have anywhen i bought it, they used 2 inch piping and only one cat, no resonator. i have a nice deep tone but then i get that rattling nose when i hit about 4 grand. and like i said before to loud when on the highway...
blue 92 mx3,95 bp swap, 97 kia tranny, spec stage 1 clutch,white excel rims.
kellywellz

Post by kellywellz »

I was reading up andi think my problem might be not having a resonator, do i need to install one to get rid of the buzzing or rattling noise? Also i was wondering what it would sound like ifi just took off my muffler and put a downpipe...?
kellywellz

Post by kellywellz »

I was reading up andi think my problem might be not having a resonator, do i need to install one to get rid of the buzzing or rattling noise? Also i was wondering what it would sound like ifi just took off my muffler and put a downpipe...?
reaper of souls

Post by reaper of souls »

if you mean that your going to just run a straight pipe exhaust don't you can get fined a whole lot for not running a muffler on your car also that will sound like crap (i did it when i was going to pick up my piping to make my exhaust ran just the headers loud as all hell) stick a cherry bomb under the car were the stock resonator would have been it'll smooth out the exhaust tone but if you have rattles check your pre cat on the headers that could be i sign that is falling apart inside (aka out of life) also make sure all your exhaust hangers are in place so that the system isn't being forced into the frame

Reaper
Image 96 X-90 4x4, 16v custom ram air intake lockers front and rear with 5.83 ring and pinion.
facko

Post by facko »

i dont think u know what a downpipe is if ur askin that lol
kellywellz

Post by kellywellz »

i just meant a tip on the end of my exhaust so that the exhaust would go down.
facko

Post by facko »

Oohh..nah dude that thing will be loud and annoying lol my bad
kellywellz

Post by kellywellz »

what the heck is a cherry bomb
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

apparently, you don't know what it is exactly that you want.

Yoda gave some good insight of why a chambered muffler gives better performance vs. a straight through in our cars. velocity vs. backpressure and such. Good topic to look up.

So look at it this way. You go chambered muffler, you go better performance and a quieter ride. The cannon will be loud, the cherry bomb will be loud, and a straight pipe will be loud. You HAVE to get a muffer, not a pipe, not a straight through, but a muffler, if you want to drop the noise to comfortable levels.

cannons will not drop it down to comfortable levels, mufflers will.
You can also get the OEM resonator if you wish, it won't hurt performance but will quiet down the ride.
flowmaster also makes some small resonator type applications you can use. I do believe they call it hushpower or something.
kellywellz

Post by kellywellz »

ok thanks for the info...i guess my question would be what is a good "performance muffler" then?
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.ph ... &&start=15

There are good bits of info on both noise and performance in different applications in this post.

and as a bonus, you get to see my old muffler on my car :P
kellywellz

Post by kellywellz »

After readin in that forum im thinkin maybe i should just install a resonator and that will solve my problems. is that correct?

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”