muffler suggestions

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
kellywellz

muffler suggestions

Post by kellywellz »

right now i have a aftermarket muffler im not exactly sure what kind it is. i like the looks of it but i hate how loud it is when im on the highway. Does anyone have any suggestions on a muffler that isnt really big and ricey or loud but is a lil louder than stock and have decent performance?
blue 92 mx3,95 bp swap, 97 kia tranny, spec stage 1 clutch,white excel rims.
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

dynomax FTW. with resenator and no cat, it sounds so good.
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
xtreme velocity

Post by xtreme velocity »

what does that look like..if i may ask..
Current:
93 F-250 Diesel Coal Roller (For Sale)
06 RX-8 1.3 Rotary AT 6 speed (All looks)
79 Ford Courier 2.3 4cyl 5 speed (lil Pete)

Past:
05 Mazda RX-8 1.3 Rotary MT 6 speed
90 Mazda Miata 1.6L 5 speed 45k miles
94 MX-3 RS DOHC 5 speed 90k miles
kellywellz

Post by kellywellz »

can u send me a link please.
facko

Post by facko »

dynomax mufflers are the ones they sell at autozone/advanced auto or whatever u have in ur area. they Look like a regular oval shaped muffler but they have straight thru performance models, which im guessing is what he was using :D i was actually thinking about getting one of them w/ a resonator when i redo my exhaust...glad to hear it sounds good lol
BP swap -- Pacesetter Header -- Custom CAI -- Custom 2.5 Exhaust w/ a Thrush Glasspack and 40 Series Flowmaster -- SPEC Stage 2 Clutch Kit
ProjectMx-3

Post by ProjectMx-3 »

Why dont you just put a silencer in it...
1993 Mazda Mx-3 1.6L SOHC
Full Exhaust w/4" tip, intake, full roll cage
myspace.com/nickistheone
kellywellz

Post by kellywellz »

Wont the silencer look kinda gay? and where would i find one? thanks
ProjectMx-3

Post by ProjectMx-3 »

kellywellz wrote:Wont the silencer look kinda gay? and where would i find one? thanks
Well mine came with the muffler but i don't use it. My tip is 4" i believe so i dunno if it would fit your muffler. But they just have one simple bolt and then it slides in or out. I don't know where you could find one... but if your muffler is the same size i'll give it to you for like 10 bucks
1993 Mazda Mx-3 1.6L SOHC
Full Exhaust w/4" tip, intake, full roll cage
myspace.com/nickistheone
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

kellywellz wrote:Wont the silencer look kinda gay? and where would i find one? thanks
You can buy aftermarket silencers that are universal fit. Just be sure to get the correct diameter to fit inside your muffler. Here's a couple links as examples.
http://www.nolimitmotorsport.com/hks/in ... encer.html
http://www.autocarparts.com/parts/Exhaust/Silencers/
http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/dcs-exhaust.html

You'll probably have to drill a hole in the muffler tip to secure a mounting screw to keep the silencer from sliding out. No biggie tho. I would lose my effing mind from the highway noise if the silencer was outta my HD (nice enuf sound but still a fartcan) muffler. Plenty loud enough for my taste even with the silencer in there. Gets a decent rumbly growl on accel and fairly quiet at sustained highway speeds. The silencer sits 2+" into the tailpipe so isn't too visible. g/l
Image -Jim
92blackmx3

Post by 92blackmx3 »

i dunno if u can get these where u live but i got a cherry bomb turbo and it sounds good and is good perfomance wise to
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

Flowmaster 60 series, do it!
this baby is gorgeous, it's got the deep low tones, quiet as a whistle on idle, give her some gas, it's tone demands attention and shows respect.
going down the highway, it's domesticated and fairly quiet, bit louder than stock but much quieter than aftermarket "cannons"

I went from the big cannon to the flowmaster 60, and boy I am very happy I did!
DJGypsy

Post by DJGypsy »

my $0.02

i went back to my stock muffler after i started getting headhaches and had trouble holding conversations at speeds over 70 mph.

i had the typical cannon system put on my car in november '03 with an in line resonator, 2 1/4" piping, and high flow cat. to my surprise, it wasnt all that loud. i didn't notice any performance difference from the stock exhaust system.

then in september '06, the primary cat (the one that hangs right in front of the engine) clogged and the car died. if i had known that's what happened, i would have just gotten the Genie headers from Corkspot. Unfortunately, i was at a loss as to what the problem was, and had a stealership diagnose and repair the problem.

with the new primary cat in place, HOLY CRAP was that thing loud!!! there was no mercy from the thing!!! however, the car pulled much harder now that things were uncorked.

Luckily, i had kept the stock muffler in my 'rents garage. it was sitting there for a few years and was covered in spider webs. for $80, i had midas remove the cannon, and put the stock muffler back in, keeping all my newer 2 1/4" piping and wide open resonator.

i still notice no performance difference between the two mufflers, she still pulls the same from idle to redline. my gas mileage has improved by a few mpg, and i get to enjoy the sound of my CAI that i haven't heard in years since i had the exhaust put on.

so yeah, for TYPICAL natually aspirated applications, no wild cams or high compression pistons, i would say just leave what the mazda engineers put there, and replace your cats, because replacing the cats actually made a big difference.

hope this helps.
-Dan
(SOLD) '94 RS, rebuilt B6 DOHC engine & cyl head, ACT clutch, e-bay CAI, 2 1/4" exhaust, wide open resonator w/ stock muffler, H&R springs, Tokico HPs, front strut tower brace, KVR drilled rotors w/ carbon fiber pads, Falken tires, Impostor lightweight wheels, Kenwood & MTX sound.

straights are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers.
kellywellz

Post by kellywellz »

How about the obx evo? Any opinions on it? and i would NOT keep the silencer in it just because i hate the way they look.
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

depends, what is the OBX evo? Is it a cannon-shaped straight through muffler?

Any cannon is going to be loud, that's just how it's going to be. If you want quiet, or moderately quiet, you're going to have to get a muffler.
2 chamber muffler will sound mean, and will be loud.
OEM muffler is going to be quiet
MazdaSpeed muffler I hear is a beautiful work of art

if you're looking for something that sounds good and is comfortably quiet,
3 chamber muffler is a very good compromise. I hear people talk very good about magnaflow mufflers on their miata's, you should check into that.

But I still recommend the Flowmaster 60 series, 3 chamber muffler.
Like I said, I went from a cannon to this muffer, my friends hated the cannon, cuzz we coulnd't hear each other talk. The flowmaster, however, cruising 75 down i-75, I asked my bud, "how you like my new muffler?" and he responded, "oh, I didn't even hear it!"
kellywellz

Post by kellywellz »

Um here is the link to a obx evo, or u can just go to ebay and type it in.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-EVO- ... 2207QQrdZ1

Also i have this obx muffler in my garage but it might be to big for my taste.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-B9-U ... 2098QQrdZ1

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”