top end=nothing there

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

well that depends on what state obviously, but if VA (my state) got hit by a blizzard they would all go nuts..people crashing of roads complete chaos, people here already cant even drive in the rain.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
hppwdn

Post by hppwdn »

XxantwawnxX wrote:In you your picture, thats jjust about to were i can get...i can never get past 140, id like see a pic of it past 140 before i change my statement 8)
I don't really drive around with a camera or with a passenger for that matter. That day we happened to be on the way to a meet about 3 hours away so we all had a good time driving and the camera was there for the meet.

If your ZE can't push past there something is wrong. I did all of that all motor. I did that with only 193whp. Turbo you've gotta be clear past 250whp at least. That amount of power will definitely propel your car to those speeds. It's not like were are going at such high speeds that the aerodynamic limitations of the vehicle are at a point that engine power is not a factor.

It could also be your lightweight wheels holding you back on top end. I had some really heavy (24lb) motegis on my car at that time. We used to discuss that the heavier wheels would be helpful on high top end speeds like those.

As for going out and taking another pic with the speedo going faster that's not something I'm gonna go out and do. I live in a small Georgia town currently and the cops tail my car everytime I take it out of storage because they're unfamiliar with it. The only place I can drive it fast is the 1/4 mile track 2 hours away. It trapped 113mph there last time I went.
92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
NSCRA 2009 FWD Drag Radial Finalist
HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video
As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

yea man i said in that same post that i could very well be wrong about my top speed, but u left that out. not a big deal thats why i put the 8) at the end.

good idea on my wheels..could be, but its not cause i just got them and i have not be over 60mph in them . my other wheels weighed 24 pounds.

Like i said early i probable did not push i as hard as i could cause i alwasy remember with just my ZE i could get about 137-138. and now that im turboed i barely boost in 5th gear anyway. And when i did im sure i did not try to peg it, i prolly let off right before 140 cause thats what i had to do with the NA ze all the time.

As i said before ill probably check again one day..but i dont like those speeds anymore.

maybe ill try again and put it in the new vid im making...hmm 0-140..yea i might do that if i can find a safe area with no traffic.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

I regularly run my klze at 120 mph + and have never had a lack in performance from my 120-140 range... The fastest I have every been was 154 mph through oklahoma on a nice sunday morning heading back from arizona... I was racing an EVO VIII and passed him doing 135 mph (they don't have much after that)... I have hit 140, 142, 145 and 148 mph before. I have a stock klze, my ecu has been reprogrammed without any kind of limiters (rev, mph, etc)... so I could blow mine up... I have a 626 transmission which has a little better gear ratio for top end and kl-31 cams that also help with top end power. I now have over 100,000 miles on my ze and have blown anything yet! I haven't topped mine out yet... I am guessing that probably 160 would be the fastest I could go. Next time I am up at those speeds I'll try and snap a picture of my dipping needle....
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

yea that tranny has a longer 5th gear.

koireland

Post by koireland »

Well, replaced plugs and air filter and still nothing, max it get's going is 170 km/h even after a while. What would be your next thing to check?
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

clogged cat maybe...

hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I went 130 today with no effort.. except tranny running out of gear :( make sure your ecu has no codes.. check vacuums , remove kat, make sure your clutch iisnt starting to slip.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
koireland

Post by koireland »

OK, took the cat off and it must have been cleaned out because it's as good as new. Ran the codes and got nothing either. It always smells like its running rich. Any other ideaS?
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

i go up to 130 with a k8
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

koireland wrote:I tried again tonight on a long straight away and only achieved about 165km/h I'm wondering what's wrong.
I was able to get my old car with a 8V 1.6SOHC from 60kmh to around 160-170kmh in under 2km distance. The secret is torque not HP. There are two drag racers sayings " HP sell car, Torque makes them move" and "built the engine for torque and let the HP take care of itself. The K8 has a very narrow torque band where as the the 8V SOHC makes almost as much torque just off idle to redline than the K8 does at peak but the SOHC peaks higher than the K8 and at a much more usuable rpm. The only advantage the K8 would have in this case would be it would be able to maintain a higher peak speed once it was achieve due to that it produces more HP.

For the person that suggested raising the redline to increase speed the problem is the cams determine at what rpm the peak power is made at. Once you achieve that mechanical limit you will not accellerate any faster. Like gear ratios and rpm this is another physical mechanical rule that will not change no matter how much you want it to. Yes you can rev the engine higher but you will be going slower the higher it rev once you hit the peak HP rpm.
koireland

Post by koireland »

So, If you had already ran codes and it was clean, checked the exhaust system and it was good, replaced the air filter/plugs ect, what else would you suspect? Im all out of idea's and it's frusterating.
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

my mx-3 with a DE could hit 230 if i wantewd easily... the power didnt drop off at all it just kept goin..
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
OutlaW

Post by OutlaW »

Full stock mode... 142 with my K8.
with mods i never tried .
K8 :: 136.8 bhp---160 nm---108.0 whp---118lbs/torque
ET: 15.567 @ 136 kmh (84 mph)
"Racing a Honda is like being in the special Olympics, you may win, but in the end your still retarded."
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

It could also be your lightweight wheels holding you back on top end. I had some really heavy (24lb) motegis on my car at that time. We used to discuss that the heavier wheels would be helpful on high top end speeds like those.
anything you can do to lighten the car will help it accelerate. if you have some heavy wheels a lighter set of wheel and tire combo will definately increase the rate of acceleration. its physics. a lightened flywheel is a good comparison. heavy doesnt help anything not even girls.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”