top end=nothing there

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
koireland

top end=nothing there

Post by koireland »

Hey quick question, I recently was testing out the supposed 230 km/h top speed of my car, and I was dissapointed to only be able to hit 170 km/h. I recently changed my spark plugs and the old ones were like burnt around the bottom of the ceramic. Do you think it's some sort of ignition problem? That's what I was thinking because 1st-3rd all pull hard, but 4th and 5th pull really weak.
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

your car WILL NOT go 143 MPH (230k) sorr not possbile..my car has a KLZE and a turbo and i cant go 143...you know why?

In 5th gear im at redline at about 137 MPH(220k) and we dont have a 6th gear.

And sorry to say the regular stock k8 1.8 liter v6 will not reach 137.

BUT 170k (105 mph) is a tad bit low...you should be able to hit 115 -125 but it WILL take u all day...and u might wanna have the wind at ur back.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
Tempus

Post by Tempus »

Downhill doesn't hurt either.

Seriously at that point you are approaching HP = Wind Resistance So head or tail winds will pretty much directly affect your top speed.. (that's why all speed records have to be done with two runs, fairly close together, one in each direction of the course)

You'll also start to feel anything like a dirty air filter, under inflated tires, tires with high rolling resistance, etc.

Still 105 is a bit low I'd agree.. how many miles on the engine? has it been compression tested recently? etc.
{sigh} Time to move on
Out with the old: Tropical Emerald MX-3 GSR (KL-DE)
In with the new: Phantom Blue Mazda3s GT
koireland

Post by koireland »

240,000km's and nope no compression test lately. Timing belt done 10,000km ago, Oil changed regularaly, new spark plugs, need's a new air filter but they didn't have any in stock, didn't thinkit would make a big impact, and maybe could use new spark plug wires. I was just concerned with the burnt look of the ceramic on the old plugs thinking it maybe was related. But regardless of top speed, it's super slow acceling from 140 km/h up.
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

wel it is a k8 so after 140 it aint gunna move to quick.

umm to the oen guy who says it won't do 230km/h it sure will..i've done it and i know a few other who have!
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
Ice Racing

Top end

Post by Ice Racing »

I'm not a technician but that look that you're talking about might only be "rust overheating" from water into spark plug tube (coming from cleaning hi-pressure hose or overspray). I have a Kawa Concours and rain and overspray get in their and my sparkplug look like yours even after a short period of time but again i am not a tech and i have not seen your sparkplugs.http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q295 ... 4c_800.jpg

P.S. I would have a compression test done before spending important amount of money fixing it...
GS KLZE FOR ICE RACING
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

mx3autozam wrote:wel it is a k8 so after 140 it aint gunna move to quick.

umm to the oen guy who says it won't do 230km/h it sure will..i've done it and i know a few other who have!
ok it might do 143 mph (230) if u were going down a steep hill with a hurricane behind you.

NOrmall it will not. Unless maybe u changed trannys or gear ratios theres thothing to be said. OR ur rims or so off size its changing ur speed reading.

Cause i get up to 137-138 VERY very fast with power to spare and i cant go faster cause im at redline. Cant argue with gear ratio's no matter how much power u have.

137 is pretty close to 143...so im think rim size or sumthing similar has sumthingot do to ur readings.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

My ze can only go to 130 and it tops off well i dont wanna blow bearing number 6. Why do you want to go that fast?
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
koireland

Post by koireland »

Because it's winter and my R1 dosen't like the snow too much :P Is that honestly a question? I think most people here can tell you about how horrible a speed addict's cravings can be :wink:
hppwdn

Post by hppwdn »

In my ZE MX3 all motor the speedometer tapped all the way over to 150 one day when I got a little too out of hand on the highway. That was all the way at redline in 5th. I had 205/40/17s on the car at the time which calculate to a 1.79% difference from stock. (According to this link http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalcul ... ion=submit)

That calculates out to 147mph.

Turbo it gets to 140 in the blink of an eye on stock size tires. But I try not to go past 120 very often since I turbo'd it with the whole boosting in fifth gear is bad thing.

I still use the stock MX3 transmission so the gear ratios are stock.

If your car is making power it can pull well past 150mph, but with our stock gear ratios you won't get there. With an MX6 transmission redline in 5th gear will let you see about 166mph. I proved this on a dyno one day in my old probe. You'd just need enough power to get there.

Now if you were to build your engine and push up your redline you could go much faster on stock gear ratios. The PRM probe that runs 11s all motor gets somewhere beyond 120mph in 4th gear, but it revs out real high.

Here's a pic one day of when it was all motor a passenger snapped. That was another 140+ day. I took it to 140+ quite a bit when it was all motor. Going fast helped burn off stress from living in Miami and dealing with all the rush hour traffic.

92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
NSCRA 2009 FWD Drag Radial Finalist
HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video
As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

In you your picture, thats jjust about to were i can get...i can never get past 140, id like see a pic of it past 140 before i change my statement 8)

I could of always maybe not pushed it hardenough and could be very well wrong, guess i gotta find out one day again...although as i get older i tend not to want to go that fast anymore haha.

koireland

Post by koireland »

I tried again tonight on a long straight away and only achieved about 165km/h I'm wondering what's wrong.
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

well for ont thing the stock motors are just not powerful, add ur dirty airfilter than that could be it. Me and hppwdn both are heavy modified.

Vanished

Post by Vanished »

hey man were are you from in saskatchewan?

honestly i wouldn't be going that fast on sask roads in the middle of winter haha..did you get hit by the blizzard?

You defantly won't be able to hit 230K...ZE might get you close to 200.
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
koireland

Post by koireland »

I'm from Moose Jaw. Pretty decent road conditions, the blizzard barely got us, you guys sure got s--- on though wow, if that happened to any of these americans a state of emergency would have been declared! :P

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”