Warning lights flash when I have low Gas

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Aston Wards

Post by Aston Wards »

Running it out of gas = bad

but there's heaps of fuel left when the idiot light comes on

it seems pretty odd that there's no warning light on some? E-spec cars...., crazy even?!
91 Eunos Presso KF-ZE
89 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+2
90 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+0
PatMX3

Post by PatMX3 »

I have a extra low gas LIGHT* outta my 1st MX3..
MikeUK
Forum Moderator

Post by MikeUK »

It seems quite daft that the UK cars didnt get the warning light fitted, ill have to check the guage pod to see if I can pop one in. The last time I had it out im sure there were space for one, but ant quite remember :? .

I always run the gas until its very low. Not so its almost empty, I know thats cant be healthy. Ive been told that running it low is better because it stops (flushes out) the build up of crap that may be in the fuel. Not too sure if thats true, but I do it any way. Supose it depends what fuel you use and where you get it from. Or it may be an old wifes tale lol, or an old husbands tale.
OutlaW

Post by OutlaW »

My car has no warning light for low fuel... but i was testing the mpg in it , and i let it reach very below the E for empty .
I know now that the car stalls a bit when it is almost out of fuel... if you go slow , maybe in 3rd or 4th gear... you feel the car loosing power, and sttal a bit. That's the warning to put fuel ASAP !
:P

Ive done this only twice, because i know it's not good to the fuel pump.
K8 :: 136.8 bhp---160 nm---108.0 whp---118lbs/torque
ET: 15.567 @ 136 kmh (84 mph)
"Racing a Honda is like being in the special Olympics, you may win, but in the end your still retarded."
Tropical Emerald 1993

Post by Tropical Emerald 1993 »

Anyone knows how much fuel is left when the light blinks? I've read somewhere that it's pretty low.
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

Tropical Emerald 1993 wrote:Anyone knows how much fuel is left when the light blinks? I've read somewhere that it's pretty low.

It seems totally random. I once went a good 60+ miles with the light on (I was in the middle of nowhere)

Last month my light came on right when I entered the freeway and stalled before I reached the second exit. I stalled less than 10 miles from when the light came on. My AAA membership proved it's worth that night.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”