Dyno Time...results inside

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

babyblueMX3 wrote:you should have stated in your first post that you were megasquirted ;)
Now I understand.

a friend of mine that had a full ZE, intake, headers, exhaust, FPR, made 157whp ona mustang dyno.
Agreed. MS is an important mod to list if you're going to bother making a mod list. Why would we read your sig if you're making a mod list? With MS, you don't need an AFPR since you can set your injector pulse. You can also screw with spark. If you put alot of time into tuning into MS, then 193 WHP seems possible. Is your ZE rebuilt at all? Still running hydraulic lifters.
Mr.mx-3

Post by Mr.mx-3 »

babyblueMX3 wrote:
lakersfan1 wrote:Wait. This is supposedly with a Mazda ECU, no AFPR, and stock ZE cams? I'm going to raise the BS flag here. Your shop's dyno has to be WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY off.
I agree the numbers doesn't seem right, with the mods you have you should be in the 160whp range. but good curve on the dyno though. For sure it has to be recalibrated.

About pacesetter headers, on thing I heard is that they have the most horrible sound but are the one that give the more hp
WTF??? 160whp I understand you're gonna loose a lil bit from the fly to the ground but damn that much??? Most of the KLZE'S I've looked at have advertised at least 218hp at the fly and our cars are (FWD) so there's no drive shaft and rear diff. to turn. Also I have a question for everybody has any of you with the K8 or the KLZE reached 150mph. So far all I've got outta my K8 is 110 and that's flat out 6,000 or 6,500 RPMs can't really remember the exact.
GS-ZE,fidanza fly/ 6 puck ceramic clutch,pacesetter headers/exhaust, AWR 88duro motormounts, P.R.M jetstream CAI,KYB GR-2 struts, KL31 ECU,JE-50VAF,110A Mellenia alt. S.S Corksport Clutch line.
hppwdn

Post by hppwdn »

lakersfan1 wrote:Is your ZE rebuilt at all? Still running hydraulic lifters.
no internal work whatsoever. straight off the boat back in May when I put it in.
92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
NSCRA 2009 FWD Drag Radial Finalist
HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video
As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Mr.mx-3 wrote:WTF??? 160whp I understand you're gonna loose a lil bit from the fly to the ground but damn that much??? Most of the KLZE'S I've looked at have advertised at least 218hp at the fly and our cars are (FWD) so there's no drive shaft and rear diff. to turn. Also I have a question for everybody has any of you with the K8 or the KLZE reached 150mph. So far all I've got outta my K8 is 110 and that's flat out 6,000 or 6,500 RPMs can't really remember the exact.
Yes. 160WHP is standard with a KL31 cammed ZE with intake/exhaust. Header and you're lucky to get to 170 WHP.

And you should reach 110 at 5500 RPM if you've got a stick. I got my MX3 over 130 MPH the first day I bought it. That drive from L.A. to Vegas is too damned boring to drive slow. To get over 135, you've got to put a taller 5th gear on though. 150 is doable with a tall enough 5th gear.
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

Holy s---, i just got 170 WHP all motor, and am wroking my way up to 180 WHP with an EPROM.

I have SS-Autochrome Headers, but i always noticed that my pacesetters made more power on my MX-6. I always wanted to swap them over, but i am just too lazy..lol. I think i found a reason to get up and start swapping them over.

Just outta curiosity did u ever see how much power the TB made alone? Also if you don't mind me asking what kinda Air/Fuel ratios are you running? and timing?

Thanks
-Devin
***D-Tuned Custom KL MX-3 on Nitrous***
Mr.mx-3

Post by Mr.mx-3 »

lakersfan1 wrote:
Mr.mx-3 wrote:WTF??? 160whp I understand you're gonna loose a lil bit from the fly to the ground but damn that much??? Most of the KLZE'S I've looked at have advertised at least 218hp at the fly and our cars are (FWD) so there's no drive shaft and rear diff. to turn. Also I have a question for everybody has any of you with the K8 or the KLZE reached 150mph. So far all I've got outta my K8 is 110 and that's flat out 6,000 or 6,500 RPMs can't really remember the exact.
Yes. 160WHP is standard with a KL31 cammed ZE with intake/exhaust. Header and you're lucky to get to 170 WHP.

And you should reach 110 at 5500 RPM if you've got a stick. I got my MX3 over 130 MPH the first day I bought it. That drive from L.A. to Vegas is too damned boring to drive slow. To get over 135, you've got to put a taller 5th gear on though. 150 is doable with a tall enough 5th gear.
Yes I do have a 5 speed and it was tackin in the 6,000 range dunno what's going on with mine it's not my clutch I know that. ok what did your'se run at 65mph in 5th mine runs at 3,500 same as my festiva something's really wrong I think. I had a 95 POSER 4cyl. MX-6 a few years ago and 65mph it was baraly at 3,000 95-115 in the mid 4s and low 5s guess the gearing was diff.or something. It also was a 5speed.Yea I know what you mean bout the long boering drives I have a 1hour drive to work each way every day that's a straight drive none stop foot does tend to get a bit heavy.Do you think a klze tranny might give me what I'm looking for cuz if not I might as well save the extra$$$ and put the K8 back in it. I'm looking for at least 150mph. really want to get 200mph out of it but that's alot of $$$ and time to get that neither of wich I have.
GS-ZE,fidanza fly/ 6 puck ceramic clutch,pacesetter headers/exhaust, AWR 88duro motormounts, P.R.M jetstream CAI,KYB GR-2 struts, KL31 ECU,JE-50VAF,110A Mellenia alt. S.S Corksport Clutch line.
hppwdn

Post by hppwdn »

Slammed6 wrote:Just outta curiosity did u ever see how much power the TB made alone? Also if you don't mind me asking what kinda Air/Fuel ratios are you running? and timing?

Thanks
-Devin
Never got to see what the TB made alone. The first time I ever dyno'd it had Megasquirt, Bored TB, test pipe, 2.5" exhaust, 6 puck clutch, and megasquirt. It did 180whp like that.

For Air/Fuel right now it's holding pretty steady in the high 12s. When I add coil packs we'll be able to get a better burn and a smoother air/fuel and dyno curve.

For timing I'm running between 25 and 29 depending. I'll have to look at my timing maps to get the definite info.

With the direction you car seems to be going I think you'd really benefit from a Megasquirt. Then you'd have full control over VRIS. And of course fuel & spark. And you can eliminate the VAF.

We tuned with a wideband driving around last week and when I got to the dyno there wasn't much tuning to do. I made three passes all within about 10 minutes and they were 191, 193, 192. With the coil packs I'm sure I could gain some HP and fine tune my AFR more.
92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
Mazda_Powered

Post by Mazda_Powered »

nice numbers man! very impressive. what are your plans after the coil packs?

JACK
.::Mazda::speeD::.

working on the 2nd part ;)
hppwdn

Post by hppwdn »

Mazda_Powered wrote:nice numbers man! very impressive. what are your plans after the coil packs?

JACK
After the coil packs I really need to upgrade my brakes. It's brand new stock replacements right now, but the brakes turn to mush after one 100+ to zero stop. I couldn't even imagine an autocross right now. It would last about one minute.

Then I need a lighter rim/tire combo.

I ordered the hot pipes for turbo last week, but that's just cause they were a good deal. That's at least 6 months off.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

hppwdn wrote: It's brand new stock replacements right now, but the brakes turn to mush after one 100+ to zero stop.
Teflon braided brake lines would go a long way to solving those issues.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Mazda_Powered

Post by Mazda_Powered »

holy crap! you're gonna give your ZE some boost? thats gonna be an insane! you're already coil packs away from hitting 200whp!

most protege owners with the GTX swap strive for those numbers, you got them n/a hah, this is all the reason why i wanna ZE my protege. the power and the sound.

how come you decided to go with megasquirt instead of Emanage or haltec? i'll probably go with a basic SAFCII after its all swapped over, it should be good for an extra 10-15whp with a ZE.

awesome numbers though, i'd be real proud of them any day of the week!

also, what are you going to be doing for brakes? just rotor/pad/line upgrade? because someone on clubprotege.com said the BG kia sephia has larger rotors and pads compared to our cars. not sure about calipers though.

JACK
.::Mazda::speeD::.

working on the 2nd part ;)
DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

PROBABLY chose MS over emanage cause its piggyback so is safc
and haltec is about 4 times as expensive as the megasquirt.

Mazda_Powered wrote:holy crap! you're gonna give your ZE some boost? thats gonna be an insane! you're already coil packs away from hitting 200whp!

most protege owners with the GTX swap strive for those numbers, you got them n/a hah, this is all the reason why i wanna ZE my protege. the power and the sound.

how come you decided to go with megasquirt instead of Emanage or haltec? i'll probably go with a basic SAFCII after its all swapped over, it should be good for an extra 10-15whp with a ZE.

awesome numbers though, i'd be real proud of them any day of the week!

also, what are you going to be doing for brakes? just rotor/pad/line upgrade? because someone on clubprotege.com said the BG kia sephia has larger rotors and pads compared to our cars. not sure about calipers though.

JACK
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Mr.mx-3

Post by Mr.mx-3 »

hppwdn wrote:
Mazda_Powered wrote:nice numbers man! very impressive. what are your plans after the coil packs?

JACK
After the coil packs I really need to upgrade my brakes. It's brand new stock replacements right now, but the brakes turn to mush after one 100+ to zero stop. I couldn't even imagine an autocross right now. It would last about one minute.

Then I need a lighter rim/tire combo.

I ordered the hot pipes for turbo last week, but that's just cause they were a good deal. That's at least 6 months off.
The lightest rims I've seen are speed stars dude came in the shop awhile back and had some tires put on on a eagle talon believe me it was suped up would run and possiabley beat a supra he had 18in. speed stars on it and I know they didn't weigh no more than 10Lbs as far as tires go I don't know if there is a tirekingdom,merchants,ntb, or a bigO tire where you're at but I have a set of Fulda Quaitum Elite's on my MX-3 and I love'em don't last too long but hook up, handling, dry and wet traction is unbelievable and they're W rated.
hppwdn

Post by hppwdn »

For Rims I'm looking at Rota Subzeros or Slipstreams. Wouldn't mind some buddy clubs if I found a deal. All of those are pretty light weight in the 16" size I want to go with.

For tires I've gone back and forth about it a lot and decided to use the same model that helped me get 2.0 60s in my probe. Yokohama AVS ES100s. On the MX3 I'm going with 225/45/16.

For brake upgrades I'm looking into Stainless Lines, Brembo Rotors and Greenstuff pads.

Brakes are the number one concern right now.

All the other suspension work is done. Front/Rear Strut Bars, Whiteline Sway Bar, Tokico Blues, Dropzone Springs, SRD LCA Bushings, SRD Subframe Bushings, Poly Filled (80A) Engine Mounts. Not too much past there that I'm looking into.
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

hppwdn, which front upper strut brace is that? did it fit over the IM without modification?

I just hacked up modified/welded my Corksport brace to fit around the back of the IM. I was getting so sick of that "dump drift" crap. Car feels way better now (re-added rear brace, too) I think I can still feel the front flexing a bit though. If I hit a dip in the road in a hard turn my steering still drifts a little. I don't remember what the CorkSport bar felt like unmodified anymore...

Sorry to get off topic. Awesome car.
GS-R SE
Fixin's

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”