ecu question

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Jay72

Post by Jay72 »

Mnemonic wrote: I tend to think the best solution is to go with the ecu that was made for that motor, for instance i have a kl31 Klze i am going to use a kl31 ecu.
Sorry if this has been repeated and I'm such an idiot because here I am with a fresh KLZE swap and I don't even know how to tell if I've got a kl36 or a kl31 engine. How do I find that out? I can only assume that if it was an automatic it was a KL36 and a KL31 if it was a manual... or is it the other way around...
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

Alot of people have this kinda information mixed up. There is no KL-31 and KL-36 KLZE!!!

KL-31 and KL-36 are the ECU's that were in the car in japan. From what i have read a KL-31 ECU will only work in a MTX car, and a KL-36 will work in an ATX or MTX.

Now as far as KLZE engines go there are 2 u can get.

A straigh neck KLZE: (signs to check)
-Manifold has a long neck, Very squarish. Square runners
-Cams are stamped KL-31
-Pistons are flat topped
-Heads are stamped KL-31 1A1

A curved neck KLZE: (signs to check)
-Manifold is identical to the mellina, TB sits like the K8, Square runners
-Cams are stamped KL-01
-Pistons are flat topped
-Heads are stamped KL-31 1A1

The only difference between the 2 engines are the intake manifold and cams. Other then that the engine are identical.

What alot of people do which is completely wrong is put the KL-31/36 ECU in their KLZE and have the curve neck intake manifold and assume everything is working right. But the VRIS is completely off and they will loose power due to the VRIS opening and closing wrong.

The proper ECU for the Curve neck ZE is not able to get because it uses a MAF instead of our VAF and then it would be a wiring drama.
***D-Tuned Custom KL MX-3 on Nitrous***
K-North

Post by K-North »

ya i know the kl36 is atx and kl31 is mtx... but isnt it true that the kl 36 ecu does work the same as the kl31 when considering just a 5 speed .and not the other way around... ?
hey all im a new 92 mx3 gs owner... had a permance clutch but he blew the head gaskets when i bought it.. and theres a lower kit and exaust system.. so i guess i got a okay deal.. but damn wait.. just Dropped in a KLZE engine from japan
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

I'm not sure i understand what u r asking? If the KL-36 will work on ATX or MTX?? if so i said yes.

If not can u re-ask the question?
K-North

Post by K-North »

well im just saying the atx versio( kl36) works on a manual tranny too .. so u dont really just need the kl31 to match up
hey all im a new 92 mx3 gs owner... had a permance clutch but he blew the head gaskets when i bought it.. and theres a lower kit and exaust system.. so i guess i got a okay deal.. but damn wait.. just Dropped in a KLZE engine from japan
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

exactly...thats y i said u can use either one...KL36 or 31 its all the same on a manual transmission.
2fazed
Supporting Member

Re: ecu question

Post by 2fazed »

xerostatus wrote:The klze i have is from a japanese millenia, with the curved neck intake mani... It is my understanding that currently it has a domestic KL ecu... Now i was wondering what the best ECU would be for this car, i made a few searches but im still sorta unsure, cause the previous owner of the car told me that kl31/36 ecu is not the right one for my car...

I was also considering that eprom thing, but again i think that isnt designed for this particular engine.. (?)

What is the best possible ECU to get for a jspec millenia engine? Any input will be appreciated, thanks.
I want to know how your going to smog your car? Do you know a crooked smog station. Cause theres no way you will be able to pass through the Referee with ZE without the same ECU it came with. And all the honest smog stations won't smog your car, cause it won't have the smog sticker under the hood that shows them where to look.
16 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition
06 Mazdaspeed6 2.3T
93 626 ES 2.5
92 Mx-3 RS 1.6
93 Mx-3 GS 2.5
93 Mx-3 RS 1.6
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

I want to know how your going to smog your car? Do you know a crooked smog station. Cause theres no way you will be able to pass through the Referee with ZE without the same ECU it came with. And all the honest smog stations won't smog your car, cause it won't have the smog sticker under the hood that shows them where to look.
Actually, i have had about 3 ZE's pass smog here in Ventura county Legit. They checked everything out and it passed. Just don't tell them its a ZE.
xerostatus

Re: ecu question

Post by xerostatus »

2fazed wrote:
xerostatus wrote:The klze i have is from a japanese millenia, with the curved neck intake mani... It is my understanding that currently it has a domestic KL ecu... Now i was wondering what the best ECU would be for this car, i made a few searches but im still sorta unsure, cause the previous owner of the car told me that kl31/36 ecu is not the right one for my car...

I was also considering that eprom thing, but again i think that isnt designed for this particular engine.. (?)

What is the best possible ECU to get for a jspec millenia engine? Any input will be appreciated, thanks.
The very reason i bought this car for so cheap is because the previous owner was unable to get it to pass smog in cali, which is how i picked 'er up for $600 bucks. And yes youre right, it doesnt pass smog because it lacks the egr, among other issues... i handed the smog guy some cash and magically the ze passed.
1995 MX-6 LS
1992 MX-3 ZE (busted up)
==========================
http://www.cardomain.com/id/xerostatus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jay72

Post by Jay72 »

Slammed6 wrote:What alot of people do which is completely wrong is put the KL-31/36 ECU in their KLZE and have the curve neck intake manifold and assume everything is working right. But the VRIS is completely off and they will loose power due to the VRIS opening and closing wrong.

The proper ECU for the Curve neck ZE is not able to get because it uses a MAF instead of our VAF and then it would be a wiring drama.
You lost me at the last sentence. Is there a word missing somewhere in there? What I got so far is that those of us who has the MS8 (curved neck) manifold should NOT be using the KL36/31 ECU? The last sentnce isn't very clear. What should the curved neck ZE's be using to rectify the VRIS problem? Are you asying it's a MAF/VAF problem? I thought VAF and MAF are the same thing? Can you please clarify this?
Thanks
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

haha, sorry i didn't really get the last sentence either...lol.

The proper ECU for a "Curved neck ZE" is i think KL68, but even if you got it u can't use it because it uses a MAF, and the wire harness u have now would have to be re-wired for a MAF.

I'm not saying u can't use a KL31/36 ECU for a "Curved neck ZE", just that if you do the VRIS will be nowhere near what it is suppose to be. And your better off tying them open, or getting the VRIS working properly by MSD window switches.
2fazed
Supporting Member

Post by 2fazed »

Slammed6 wrote:
Actually, i have had about 3 ZE's pass smog here in Ventura county Legit. They checked everything out and it passed. Just don't tell them its a ZE.

I know if you leave the K8 manifold on, it can pass, without them knowing. But, you do realize that it's still an illegal smog. The only way to have a legal smog with a swapped engine, is to go to the referee. They have to check out your setup, do a smog test, then give you a smog sticker to place inside your hood. I've done this with my DE swap, and wasn't a problem. But with a ZE swap, I think there would be. Cause they say you have to swap everything from the new engine, like block, tranny, ecu. I don't know if that can be done with a ZE.

You can get illegal smogs while you own it, I've done it. But be warned. If you sell your car swapped, and don't have the smog sticker. Legally, that guy can come back and sue you for smog repair, meaning paying for whatever the Referee says it needs to be legal(which could be thousands). Even if you have a signed as-is sales receipt from the buyer. It's still considered breaking the law, and is not recognized. California considers as-is sales, selling a salvaged vehicle. So you can do that, but you will have a salvage title. I know these things sound stupid, I couldn't believe what I was being told by the state's Referee.

I'm not trying to be negative, just be careful.
16 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition
06 Mazdaspeed6 2.3T
93 626 ES 2.5
92 Mx-3 RS 1.6
93 Mx-3 GS 2.5
93 Mx-3 RS 1.6
Mr.mx-3

Post by Mr.mx-3 »

Man it sux to be yall luckly we don't have a sniffer or a stiff smog control law in Va the biggest thing round here is noise polution ex. like having too loud of a exaust
GS-ZE,fidanza fly/ 6 puck ceramic clutch,pacesetter headers/exhaust, AWR 88duro motormounts, P.R.M jetstream CAI,KYB GR-2 struts, KL31 ECU,JE-50VAF,110A Mellenia alt. S.S Corksport Clutch line.
Mr.mx-3

Post by Mr.mx-3 »

By the way I hate to sound stupid but what is a MAF and a VAF?? what is it mass air flow and variable air flow or something??
GS-ZE,fidanza fly/ 6 puck ceramic clutch,pacesetter headers/exhaust, AWR 88duro motormounts, P.R.M jetstream CAI,KYB GR-2 struts, KL31 ECU,JE-50VAF,110A Mellenia alt. S.S Corksport Clutch line.
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

Well i know the engine in "not suppose" to be in the car. But if take it to a smog station and they do all the test they need and it passes everything. Whats the problem?

I'm just saying you CAN pass smog easily when you swap an engine in, Just don't tell them you swapped it, it has everything needed to pass the smog requirements. No reason to make it difficult.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”