ecu question

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
xerostatus

ecu question

Post by xerostatus »

The klze i have is from a japanese millenia, with the curved neck intake mani... It is my understanding that currently it has a domestic KL ecu... Now i was wondering what the best ECU would be for this car, i made a few searches but im still sorta unsure, cause the previous owner of the car told me that kl31/36 ecu is not the right one for my car...

I was also considering that eprom thing, but again i think that isnt designed for this particular engine.. (?)

What is the best possible ECU to get for a jspec millenia engine? Any input will be appreciated, thanks.
1995 MX-6 LS
1992 MX-3 ZE (busted up)
==========================
http://www.cardomain.com/id/xerostatus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
vozaday2000

Post by vozaday2000 »

KL36/31 with JE50 MAF
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/730367 - UPDATED!!!!!!!

'94 MX-3 GS KLZE, KL01 Cams, Fidanza Flywheel, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, WeaponR Ram Air, 2 1/4 exhaust, Nichi Neptune Rims, Toyo Proxy 45 Rubber.

lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

If you've already got a KLDE ECU with a KL02 VAF, I'd buy MSD Digital Window switches to set the VRIS points instead of buying a KL31/KL36 ECU. The KL31/KL36 ECU's are going for $250+, whereas you can get a set of brand new MSD Window Switches for $170 or so, and they've got better resale value.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Granted that the Window Switches will fix the VRIS control shortfall of the KL01 ECU, but isn't the A/F mappings still going to be a little richer with the KL01 ECU/KL02 VAF combo than the KL31 / KL36 ECU and JE50 VAF combo? Not that it's that much of a difference anyway I think.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

Actually the proper ECU for a Millenia is not the KL-31/36, I can't recall the exact #'s on the ECU but it uses a MAF and cannot be used with our wire harness.

But your best bet would be to use a stock KL ECU with the KL-VAF and that will get the VRIS close as possible...i believe they were off by 500 RPMS, and the fuel and timning will be fairly accurate.
***D-Tuned Custom KL MX-3 on Nitrous***
hppwdn

Post by hppwdn »

The last Millenia ECU I had in my hand was marked KL62. I think it was from the engine importer so that's probably the japanese version. Not sure what the american one is.
92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
NSCRA 2009 FWD Drag Radial Finalist
HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video
As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

Slammed6 wrote:Actually the proper ECU for a Millenia is not the KL-31/36, I can't recall the exact #'s on the ECU but it uses a MAF and cannot be used with our wire harness.

But your best bet would be to use a stock KL ECU with the KL-VAF and that will get the VRIS close as possible...i believe they were off by 500 RPMS, and the fuel and timning will be fairly accurate.

That was only on certain motors Likewise the KFZE also used a similar setup but only on a few motors and if i recall correctly it was on newer motors OBDII.

I tend to think the best solution is to go with the ecu that was made for that motor, for instance i have a kl31 Klze i am going to use a kl31 ecu.
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
xerostatus

Post by xerostatus »

Mnemonic wrote:
Slammed6 wrote:Actually the proper ECU for a Millenia is not the KL-31/36, I can't recall the exact #'s on the ECU but it uses a MAF and cannot be used with our wire harness.

That was only on certain motors Likewise the KFZE also used a similar setup but only on a few motors and if i recall correctly it was on newer motors OBDII.

I tend to think the best solution is to go with the ecu that was made for that motor, for instance i have a kl31 Klze i am going to use a kl31 ecu.
Yeah, thats what im wondering though.. what IS the proper ECU for this particular engine? The current ECU i have is i believe from a domest KL, if i understood the previous owner correctly... I saw the other thread on the board, the one about the KLK1 ecu, would this by any chance be something id be looking for?
1995 MX-6 LS
1992 MX-3 ZE (busted up)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/xerostatus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

The 'proper' ECU for a Millenia won't work. A) They're all automatic ECU's, and B) They're 95+ ECU's so the wiring's not compatible with the 92-94 MX3.

Get the window switches and be done. The fuel maps are not that different. Anyways, if I'm not mistaken, the highest dyno pulls with a KL on a stock MAzda ECU was with KLDE, not KLZE computer.
xerostatus

Post by xerostatus »

Ahh, ok i understand. thanks for the help, and excuse my ignorance :P
1995 MX-6 LS
1992 MX-3 ZE (busted up)
Mr.mx-3

Post by Mr.mx-3 »

I dunno bout the melennia ecu but I have a friend that has a friend that put a klze in his 93 mx-3 and he said it pulled like bloody hell all the way to redline with the standard reprogrammed k8 ecu he told me that it would roast the tires in first and second when it hit varial valve timing. He also told me that later he got the j-spec ecu and the motor lost quite a bit of power compaired to the K8. I also have a question I know the j-spec. klze ecu is limited to 117mph now what is the k8 limited to?? Also what the hell is a window switch???
GS-ZE,fidanza fly/ 6 puck ceramic clutch,pacesetter headers/exhaust, AWR 88duro motormounts, P.R.M jetstream CAI,KYB GR-2 struts, KL31 ECU,JE-50VAF,110A Mellenia alt. S.S Corksport Clutch line.
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

I dunno bout the melennia ecu but I have a friend that has a friend that put a klze in his 93 mx-3 and he said it pulled like bloody hell all the way to redline with the standard reprogrammed k8 ecu he told me that it would roast the tires in first and second when it hit varial valve timing. He also told me that later he got the j-spec ecu and the motor lost quite a bit of power compaired to the K8. I also have a question I know the j-spec. klze ecu is limited to 117mph now what is the k8 limited to?? Also what the hell is a window switch???
LOL, for one, our cars do not have variable valve timing. And 2, the car will defately pull alot harder with an actual 2.5 KLZE ECU, compared to a 1.8 K8 ECU.

Yes, the KLZE ECU will cut out at 115 MPH, but you clip 1 lil wire and it will no longer cut out. The original K8 does not have a speed limiter.

A window switch, is a lil box you hooked up to acitvate something at a desired RPM and then turn it off at another desired RPM. Hence a window, open and then close it.
Mr.mx-3

Post by Mr.mx-3 »

Slammed6 wrote:
LOL, for one, our cars do not have variable valve timing. And 2, the car will defately pull alot harder with an actual 2.5 KLZE ECU, compared to a 1.8 K8 ECU.

Yes, the KLZE ECU will cut out at 115 MPH, but you clip 1 lil wire and it will no longer cut out. The original K8 does not have a speed limiter.

A window switch, is a lil box you hooked up to acitvate something at a desired RPM and then turn it off at another desired RPM. Hence a window, open and then close it.
Thanks I have been wondering about that. Also what I guess what he was refering to is the sudden jump in power that happens after about 3,000 rpm's what causes that?? Excuse me if I seem a lil dumb about this I'm just starting out on all this and am tring to find the answers to what I need to do with my car as well. I also was reading a artical on the mx-6 web page and it discussed clipping the wire you spoke of and it said that clipping the wire worked pretty good but then you created the problem of over fueling on decelaration.
GS-ZE,fidanza fly/ 6 puck ceramic clutch,pacesetter headers/exhaust, AWR 88duro motormounts, P.R.M jetstream CAI,KYB GR-2 struts, KL31 ECU,JE-50VAF,110A Mellenia alt. S.S Corksport Clutch line.
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

Mr.mx-3 wrote:Thanks I have been wondering about that. Also what I guess what he was refering to is the sudden jump in power that happens after about 3,000 rpm's what causes that?? Excuse me if I seem a lil dumb about this I'm just starting out on all this and am tring to find the answers to what I need to do with my car as well. I also was reading a artical on the mx-6 web page and it discussed clipping the wire you spoke of and it said that clipping the wire worked pretty good but then you created the problem of over fueling on decelaration.
Yep that little jump in power is called VRIS (Variable Resonance Induction System) its used to vary the length of the intake tract in order to optimize power and torque, as well as provide better fuel efficiency. Its mazda's big FU to vtec
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

Thanks I have been wondering about that. Also what I guess what he was refering to is the sudden jump in power that happens after about 3,000 rpm's what causes that?? Excuse me if I seem a lil dumb about this I'm just starting out on all this and am tring to find the answers to what I need to do with my car as well. I also was reading a artical on the mx-6 web page and it discussed clipping the wire you spoke of and it said that clipping the wire worked pretty good but then you created the problem of over fueling on decelaration.
Well actually the reason y he feels such a jolt after 3,000 RPMS is that the VRIS points are not correct. If the VRIS points are correct, the power should be smooth and hard acceleration all the way through the RPM.

No, thats completely false. The wire i clipped is 1 lil wire that comes from the speedometer to the ECU "Strictly" for the MPH, just to cut it at a certain speed. There is no drawback thats i have seen from doing this.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”