Gauging GB interest LSD Tranny with Axles

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Since I am also going to be looking at a ATX to MTX tranny swap for my GS in the not so distant future.. I am very interested in this.. however.. timing will be the issue with me.. whether I have the cash at the moment the GB happens or not will be the question. But count me in as "Interested" :)

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
ovendenk
Supporting Member

Post by ovendenk »

count me in as interested as well. would like to change tranny's anyways and this would be ideal.
kevin (aka The Oven)
93 mx-3 GS KL-ZE with KL31 cams and properly chipped ecu
All mods are on my website: http://ca.geocities.com/ovendenk
MX-3.com Worklog: http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=48462
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

For those of you worried about breaking axles, there are a few solutions here,

1 when you get them have them taken to a performance shop and beef them up.

2 order a spare set, I'm sure im gonna be able to get a few extra sets

3 when break have it rebuilt, your car might be down for a few days ::shrugs::

Once you have the axle it wont be hard to get a stock replacement afterwards, because you'll have the model # of the axles and you can contact corksport and have them order another one for you, granted they will probably charge you a crap load.

Doing a container wont be the cheapest route unless we have a CRAP LOAD of people wanting, i might just be doing a few pallets. i figure 2-3 pallets are the estimate for now 1-2 pallets for trannies (you can fit 4 transmissions on 1 pallet) and 1 pallet for axles we can fit tons of axles on a pallet.

So right now the option for a buy to continue is 4-8 transmissions i want a minimum of 4.

Also due to cost jeff endures to keep mx-3.com up and running 50 dollars of the price i mentioned prior goes to jeff. This is a non-negotionable part of the buy. and if any probe or mx6 guys want these trannies they're price will include this charge 2 for mx-3.com. Last time i did a buy i had guys complaining because they dont own mx-3s that they shouldnt have to donate, well i'm only advertising for the groupbuy on Mx-3.com so if you want it your gonna have to pay.

Thats all for now I might have more to tell tonight as i'll be up late talking with them if i can
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
Mazdaracer

Post by Mazdaracer »

this may be a hard question to answer, but i'm gonna ask anyways.

the issue you guys have with the axles, are they too short or too long?

i am putting a ZE in my Protege. There is a 30mm difference in track width between the MX3 and Protege (slightly different subframe) so if the axles are too short, might they work with my application? anybody know the actual measurements?

i could easily swap subframes BUT, in my race class, thats an illegal swap :cry: so i have to keep the Protege subframe.

the price difference between the quaife and this deal isn't all that much (if you add the shipping) but obviously a pre-installed LSD in a complete bolt up trans would be much easier :lol:

thanks
THINK FAST, GO RACING!!
2004 Mazda6 Wagon
2004 Mazda3 Sedan
1990 BG8P Protege LX - KLZE - Race Preped - #98 SM - SCCA Solo2
kiwi_MX3

Post by kiwi_MX3 »

You are going to need the mx3 subframe to swap a klze into a
protege, to align the gearbox mount's and also the axles.

the LSD debate, is one of well a stub shaft lenght, if you use
the mazspeed lsd and jspec mx6 axles its all plug and play.
Kiwi - Native Bird Of New Zealand, semi-nocturnal, secretive bird
Flightless, though can be found flying firstclass
Poor eyesight, though can spot a good pub at 100yards.
schuttie2002
Supporting Member

Post by schuttie2002 »

Depending on the timing, and when this finally comes together I may be in. I have the money now, but I'm looking to buy a bike so who knows then. Just keep us updated, I've been craving a lsd ever since i did my swap
93 GS-DE,mx6 tranny, obx 2nd gen headers, highflow cat n 2.25" catback, 65mm tb,CAI, mazdaspeed mounts, SPEC Stage I clutch kit, new K8 flywheel, SRD C.A.B., Intrax, S.T. braces
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/698108
Mazdaracer

Post by Mazdaracer »

kiwi_MX3 wrote:You are going to need the mx3 subframe to swap a klze into a
protege, to align the gearbox mount's and also the axles.
mmmm, i know it's been done without a subframe swap... or maybe it was just never mentioned, cause all the ppl i've talked to have never mentioned the subframe was needed, but the trans crossmember was.
THINK FAST, GO RACING!!
2004 Mazda6 Wagon
2004 Mazda3 Sedan
1990 BG8P Protege LX - KLZE - Race Preped - #98 SM - SCCA Solo2
slimmyslim1420

Post by slimmyslim1420 »

Depending on when this GB happens I may be interested in a couple axles possibly even a tranny as well. It all depends on timing.
1992 GS ZE swap 94 dash swap drilled and slotted rotors full ceramic pads CS SS clutch and brake lines KL-36 ecu zx-2 tokico struts eibach springs short shifter Tenzo exhaust Hi flow cat 2.5 in piping
ccreech

Post by ccreech »

As I told you already Brian. I am interested. Keep me in the loop.
93 GS KLZE Straight Neck (Parked)
Green Turd of MOCA
Car Domain
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

I want one give it to me!!!!!!!!!!
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I'm interested in this, but I have one main concern...syncro condition. Myself, I've beem planning to go with a Quaif LSD, but my problem is that my 3rd gear syncro is really hurting and needst o get replaced. I would like one of these, but I'd be worried (and with my luck) i'd get a bad transmission that needs the same amount of work. If I can get this tranny and is functionning perfectly, I'm definitely in, but say I get one, and it's not much better than my hurting, original tranny, than i'd be better spending the extra cash and going Quaif and a reman on mine or my spare (which my spare tranny has the same 3rd gear syncro problem, and seeems to be a comon problem with out trannies, as I've read and heard from others)
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

yea i have the same concern to, I am having them get the lowest miledge trannies possible, but that doesnt mean anything if you have so crazy azn slamming gears left and right. Since i am going through an individual and not a company a chance of getting money back if you get a bad tranny.

He's gonna do the best inspection he can "he cant hook every single tranny up and test them". For the trannies that will still be in the cars, he can atleast shift with them and see if there is any problems, (but then again shifting doesnt really matter if the car is not running).

I will be receiving pictures of each and every tranny as he finds them, and based of a visual inspection ill give a yay or nay.

I still have lots of details to work out b4 this buy goes through. I dont want anyone to get screwed over like what happen with the Clubprotoge crap, and i deffinetly dont want anyone paying as much as these will cost, for a POS.
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

What is the final drive (5th gear) ratio in comparison to the stock MTX trans? Just curious. I have been reading that we dont really get a decent 5th gear in these cars.. just wondering if there is a difference with this particular LSD. If I buy one.. I may just take it to a tranny guru I know and see what can be done about 5th gear before I install it. Especially since I have read that 5th gear appears to be accessible from outside the tranny case right? Cheers

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)

PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

%th gear is accessable from the outer tranny case (or cap I call it since that is really what it is) But I have never heard of anyone just changing the 5th gear since you'd also need to change the gear on the (primary or secondary, I can't remember which it is) shaft also. That would entail taking hte tranny apart from what I remember.

The final drive is most likelythe same as the J-Spec LSDs. I am not sure of the drive ratio off the top of my head, but mine is about 300 RPM HIGHER than the stock MX-3 trans. So at 80 MPH I run 3700 RPM instead of 4000 on the stock one. Not much difference really, but it does help some with first gear.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Taking the tranny apart is gonna happen no matter what for me.. doesnt matter if its one of these LSD's or some other used 5spd. I will have it inspected fully before I install it. And maybe I can find out some useful info in the process. Time will tell ;)

Tunes67

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”