c.a.i. ?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
projectmx316

c.a.i. ?

Post by projectmx316 »

I was woundering about the cold air intake. I looked at where it goes by the radiator catch can and down into the open space there but where does the cold air come from do you have to cut anything out?
verzutiko
Supporting Member

Post by verzutiko »

If you have the opportunity to allow for constant streaming cold air to the intake, feel free to do so, or else the cone filter will "suck" up air by itself. When saying cold, we mean that it does not suck up the warm engine air (cone filter directly attached to the TB does this), being attached away from the engine itself.
'92 GS
My worklog
projectmx316

Post by projectmx316 »

so the cone just sits inside the hole with noe cutting for air fromthe bumper
verzutiko
Supporting Member

Post by verzutiko »

Correct.
'92 GS
My worklog
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

Or u can make th hole and have it looking like this

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/247004/2

scroll down a little.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
freyguy_412

Post by freyguy_412 »

If you remove the old battery drain piping that leads down there, you get an opening that's around 3X3 in or so. I actually was worried about my car sucking up water so I stuffed it up with a rag. Can't wait til spring lol.
It might be slow, but it's not a civic!
nicksmx3

Post by nicksmx3 »

you dont need to worry about water getting in the filter just by a bypass valve. it goes on before the filter and it has i believe a sponge material that catches any water flow before it hits your engine. its cheap and it does its job
Devilhog

Post by Devilhog »

Just wondering if that CAI on ebay for the SOHC would work for the DOHC. Everything looks pretty much the same except for the MAF. And if not are there any good online parts dealers that sell Cai's for our Dohc 1.6's?
nicksmx3

Post by nicksmx3 »

hey devil wich cai did you buy? i bought a cheap one it was like 15 bucks on ebay and plus shipping.
Devilhog

Post by Devilhog »

It looked like this one here but it actualy showed a pic of it installed. The MAF looked like it was a metal case and larger than my plastic one but other than that everything looks the same.

Just wondering if these need any modding for my Dohc. Or are these CAI's cheep crap?
nicksmx3

Post by nicksmx3 »

that looks like a cool one, i dont think you will need to do any modifieing the battery is in the same location and the only real difference i can tell is the maf yours is like a tube shape right? thats about it
reprobation

Post by reprobation »

No real modication required for the DOHC as long as you get the right kit..

And you don't have to use that stupid "adapter" they give you.. (mine didn't even come with it! :D )

Here's a picture of mine..

The only thing i really had to modify was the stock air-dam.. as it was too big to be re-attached afterwards... but im planning to get rid of it soon anyways :D

here's a pic:

Devilhog

Post by Devilhog »

So why the heck do all those ebay CAI's say sohc only?

Think I will order one soon. Was also contemplating making my own CAI out of some nice aluminum pipe we have at work ;) But dont have any pipe bending tools at all. Dont want to make a ton of ugly welds so guess its ebay for me.
SBmx3

random question

Post by SBmx3 »

:oops: random and probably very stupid question...

can CAI piping be used as intercooler piping? or would
intercooler piping get too hot? :?:
88 WHP~~~ WOOT!
Devilhog

Post by Devilhog »

Omg, just asked one guy how much SH was for his CAI set and came back with $80 US. WOW! Only $25.99 for anywhere in the US but an extra $54 just for 300 Km's above the 49th? No thanks!

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”