Hawk HPS/HP Plus, EBC Green/Red Stuff or Ferodo Premier?

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
mazdubber

Post by mazdubber »

I hope you ordered a few sets of the HPS's. They wear very quickly, especially at the track.
92 GS
'Stock'... :twisted:
Macen

Post by Macen »

I found Gro's thread about his brake setup.
It looks like the HPS pads use the whole disc area.
Here's the pic:

Compared to my Ferodo Premiere:
Black '93 GS-RL KL-DE
White '95 RX-7 Type R Bathurst
http://macen.nullnet.com
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Macen wrote:"The Hawk HPS pad # is the same for the MX3 and all 97 Proteges (HB246F567). Hope this answers your question. Thanks."
I can definitely see the difference between the 2 pads and the the amount of swept area covered. My current pads are not covering as much area so it's nice to know that the Hawk's will cover more area when I install them. Thanks Macen for the research and help!!!
*John*
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Macen

Post by Macen »

No problem. :D
It will be fun to try the HPS and see if they are any better than the Premier pads. HPS are more expensive though.
Black '93 GS-RL KL-DE
White '95 RX-7 Type R Bathurst
http://macen.nullnet.com
lstpier
Supporting Member

Post by lstpier »

Did some more experiments this year with my new 11" rotor brake setup.

HPS are great for street use but lack a lot of bite compared to Porterfield R4S. Low in dust, Rotor friendly, effective even when pad is cold/cool, easy to modulate, withstands decent heat (4-5 hot laps is OK).

HP+ is a beast, a LOT more braking torque than R4S while requiring about the same minimum temp to fully operate. Hard on rotors, squeals like crazy (car makes as much noise as trash collecting trucks when pads are warm with light pedal pressure applied - but working on an anti-squeal shim with 4-pistons caliper manufacturer). Major problem I have is matching the insane bite of the HP+ with something in the back - Hawk does NOT carry HPS/HP+ for rear caliper application. R4S up until know is the closest match - will have to add a proportioning valve to get a correct brake bias. It ain't funny to lock a set of warm 225 Toyo RA1s on a hot track at 80mph with 2/3 of pedal effort - Bias was previously perfect with HPS-front/OEM-rear.

IMHO HPS is a great choice that should perform very well in 95% of your driving. If in your track days you are fast enough to cook them (you should most likey boil your brake fluid - unless Motul's finest AND/OR overrun the thermal capacity of your rotors before glazing the HPS pads), you should seriously look into a brake investment.

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”