clutch installation -- confusedddd

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
xerostatus

clutch installation -- confusedddd

Post by xerostatus »

Ok, im not COMPLETELY mechanically clueless, but im not an expert either. I bought a clutch set from exedy awhile back, and ive been meaning to install it. I remember i had asked on the forum back then too, and the general response was that its not really all that hard to do. I decided that i should try to get this done now in the summer, and ive read the chilton manual and the online shop manual and im just completely confused. What is all these special tools i need? are they really necessary? something about engine support mount, etc. There's a whole plethora of things that the online shop manual says i need and im at a loss as to where im supposed to obtain these.

Would one of my inexperience actually try to go through with this? Or should i take the safe route and take it to a shop? And if so, usually how much would a clutch installation cost?

And can anyone that knows something about installing a clutch tell me the GENERAL steps of completeing this? the manual im reading is a little too specific so im just completely lost. i dont understand a single thing theyre saying. /me is stupid.

Any help, suggestions, comments, anything would help me at this point. Im just so god deng frustrated. :oops:
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

ok..you completely remove the tranny.. remove flywhel and everything. Have the flywheel machined (it is a MUST) slap everyghing back up use the aligning tool that came with it. Insert tranny and alignt it. Put everything together bleed clutch and um yeah . You may want to replace the engine seal while you are at it.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

You don't need any special tools listed in the shop manual. Normal shop tools like sockets, breakers, torque wrench, and pry bars should work. I believe to remove the tranny without removing the engine, you're going to need to remove the central crossmember completely, and angle the whole engine/tranny down on the tranny side with a jack before unbolting and yanking it out.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

No special tools needed and the steps listed above are VERY general, but should be a doable job as long as you take your time and pay attention to what you are doing. I'd suggest that you find a friend to help since the tranny is kind of heavy to bench press back up and bolt it in by yourself. Also remember that you MUST torque the clutch down properly.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
xerostatus

Post by xerostatus »

Ok, so I've gone and started the clutch installation, me and my father is taking it slow one step at a time. We're removing the little things here and there that is required, but i wanna make sure before i carry on:

What can be used to lower the tranny? Am i able to just use a normal jack with a big board, or something? and if i do take the tranny out, will the engine stay put, or do i need to support it somehow?

And in the manual it says that after i take out the halfshaft, i should put in something (a tool, or something or other) to prevent the gears from becoming misaligned. As advised, i dont have any of the special tools so how do i go about with this particular step?

Sorry, i hope you guys can bear with a noob.. my dad himself hasnt done anything like taking a tranny out so we're doing this sorta blindfolded (im not exactly sure how good an idea this is but oh well...)
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

you will need to support the motor because of the 4 mounts, 3 of them are on the trnny so the motor will not be solid at all... It will fall and sit crooked if you dont support it.

To lower the tranny, use some elbow grease :wink:
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

xerostatus wrote: And in the manual it says that after i take out the halfshaft, i should put in something (a tool, or something or other) to prevent the gears from becoming misaligned. As advised, i dont have any of the special tools so how do i go about with this particular step?
Get some long sockets (I think ones between 17mm and 22mm will work) and shove them in the hole and use some duct tape to hold them in.
xerostatus

Post by xerostatus »

bmwm3guy wrote:you will need to support the motor because of the 4 mounts, 3 of them are on the trnny so the motor will not be solid at all... It will fall and sit crooked if you dont support it.

To lower the tranny, use some elbow grease :wink:
How should i support it? any particular thing i should do/use or should i just hold it up with my arms for a very long time? :P

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”