Engine Power Problems

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Black4CylMX3

Engine Power Problems

Post by Black4CylMX3 »

i drive a 94 4 Cyl mx3 and it seems like whenever i turn on my air conditioning, my engine loses a ton of power, like to the point of when i start to drive from a complete stop its hard to go without almost stalling or my car will barely accelerate at all. And even if i turn it off my car will start acting up for a while, for instance the throttle will feel really loose, along with some other things. Has anyone else had this problem?
droz

Post by droz »

yes...its normal....a/c take a butt load of power and since your car only has 87 horses ( like mine) it take a good amount of that away.
tw1st3d_cl0wn
Supporting Member

Post by tw1st3d_cl0wn »

Droz, are you sure all those problems are normal? I drive a 95 Automatic RS, and when I use my A/C I definitely experience power loss as far as acceleration goes, but don't experience anything to the point of what this guy states. Just figured I'd question it. :)
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Power loss with A/C use is normal.. however.. stalling out (or almost stalling) is probably an indicator that you need to clean your throttle body & reset your idle and/or run some fuel injector cleaner through your next couple of tanks of gas. Hope this helps

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Darcy

Post by Darcy »

and btw, the 94+ RS model has more than 88HP. They have the DOHC version which is 105HP, but you definitely need to give the car a tune-up. Ask a friend, or head over to the dealership and have them do a bazillion point inspection for $40 or whatever.
droz

Post by droz »

Darcy i don't think that there is a such thing as a 105 hp 1.6 for a mx3...atleast what was shipped to the U.S. mine is a 1.6 DOHC and i am running only 88....all ive seen was the 88 horse 1.6 and the 130 1.8
Last edited by droz on July 1st, 2005, 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Darcy is correct. 94+ Year RS MX-3's recieved a DOHC 1.6 that puts out 105 BHP. 92-93 model years had the SOHC 1.6 which only put out 88 BHP.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Devilhog

Post by Devilhog »

My 96 DOHC puts out 105hp and I cant wait to do her up :)

No A/C so I dont have any power problems haha, I just open the windows.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”