Upgrade air filter...

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
nutman

Upgrade air filter...

Post by nutman »

I was just ordered a K&N air filter and just realized it's the replacement filter, so I just cancelled that order. Now for my ???

What do I need if I want to put a cone filter and what size cone filter will fit best?

THX in advance.

PcE
B
Talon_66

Re: Upgrade air filter...

Post by Talon_66 »

PSI Tuning
Check out this site.
93 GS, KLZE, KL31 ECU, Centerforce Stg 3 Clutch, 2.25" Exhaust w/Flowmaster muffler, OBX Headers, Pheno Spacers, Front & rear X-drilled/slotted Rotors, KVR pads, SS brake & clutch lines, Ractive Filter, H&R Springs, Tokico Blue Struts, 8mm Accel Wires, MSD 6A w/ Blaster 2 Coil, HVAC Indiglo Panel. *Sold*
06 Eclipse GT *Sold*
08 Evo X GSR *Current*
nutman

Post by nutman »

Mad respect, thx for the link.

I was also looking at the FAQ's and found this to be helpful.

http://www.mx-3.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=23&t=000006

All I needed was these items....

2 x 3" to 3" Silicone Adapters (Plumbing section) - $9 each
(If you can find a 2.5" to 3" get one of each instead)
1 short aluminum wrapped thin 3" to 3" silicon adapter - $6
4 Foot section of black PVC Tubing 3" Diameter - $6 (white is available too)
90 degree bend PVC Tube - $5
The K&N or brand of your choice cone filter - About $50 at any speed shop

Total Cost : $85CDN ($55USD) with filter, only $35 ($25USD) without it. I told you I was cheap!

Once again, thanks for the link, it was VERY much appreciated.

PcE
B
nutman

Post by nutman »

sorry for being such a newb...
http://www.psituning.ca/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_27&products_id=45

looking at the link, this only covers the tubing and I'll still need to buy a cone filter, correct?

If so, back to my orginal ???, what size cone would I need or which cone would be better to get?

thanks once again in advance....

PcE
B
Talon_66

Post by Talon_66 »

Thats for a CAI, if u dont want a cold air intake, take a measuring tape and measure the inlet size, then get a clamp and cone filter to fit
93 GS, KLZE, KL31 ECU, Centerforce Stg 3 Clutch, 2.25" Exhaust w/Flowmaster muffler, OBX Headers, Pheno Spacers, Front & rear X-drilled/slotted Rotors, KVR pads, SS brake & clutch lines, Ractive Filter, H&R Springs, Tokico Blue Struts, 8mm Accel Wires, MSD 6A w/ Blaster 2 Coil, HVAC Indiglo Panel. *Sold*
06 Eclipse GT *Sold*
08 Evo X GSR *Current*
nutman

Post by nutman »

I'd rather get a CAI for $130, it should perform better, should it not cuz it's gettin cold air rather than hot engine air?

Any suggestions on size of cone?

PcE
B
Talon_66

Post by Talon_66 »

No Idea, I still dont have a CAI for my car. I just got the stock box.
06 Eclipse GT *Sold*
08 Evo X GSR *Current*
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

Kept my stock airbox too on 1.6 DOHC and just dropped in a fabricated foam filter, similar to the MazdaSpeed one @corksport (only mine cost $6 to make) :) . Anyway, decided to keep this modified foam filter in the stock airbox instead of installing a CAI because I like the design of cold air feeds on the stock intake configuration. Dunno about the stock SOHC but on the 1.6 DOHC airbox there are already two cold air inlets, one under the hood/upper grill area and a second one bringing cold air from the fender well. Seemed like too good a setup to mess with beyond adding a the drop-in foam filter. Very pleased with increased throttle response at all rpms and especially from 2800 - 4500+ rpms. Dunno tho how it stacks up to an all-new CAI... my .02.
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

I followed much the same logic, except I stumped up for a K&N replacement filter element. I think you get 90% of the benefit of the cone filter and Home Depot cold air trunking for a lot less hassle. I've just done the same thing to a 16V Suzuki X-90, and the difference in torque (even at low revs) is remarkable.

I agree it doesn't look so good, but I drive with the hood down ;)
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
Famine

Post by Famine »

Is this a wise purchase, or is it false economy.

I note the words "Mazdaspeed-STYLE" in the auction...

Bearing in mind I know NOTHING at all about this kind of thing, how hard is it to fit/install and indeed is it even suitable for my car (standard V6)?
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

I think this will prove very helpfull.
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=41026
I am a big fan of K&N and used the replacement filter in the stock airbox for 10 years before changing to CAI. I believe in order to realize the benefits of COLD AIR, the cone filter must be located in the fender well hollow. You can't go wrong when chosing a K&N cone filter either.
My recommendation would be to pick up one of the very inexpensive 91-93 Integra off of ebay (the 2 piece aluminum 0ne) from anywhere from $15-$20 usd + about $30-$35 shipping. Cut the tubing to the size you want to fit in the fender well. You'll probably need a couple of additional couplers to supplement the ones provided in the kit, but that's about it.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Famine

Post by Famine »

Interesting thread - pity I could only catch one word in three of it...

I literally know NOTHING. How you all got those bits of bendy metal in baffles me no end. And what the smeg is a VAF? Don't they make lorries?
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

this was discussed before which is best intake setup. Just last week, you can search.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Famine

Post by Famine »

Or, alternatively, I could read the link jschrauwen posted two posts before yours which is, in fact, the exact same thread you're talking about.

And indeed, as I said, "Interesting thread - pity I could only catch one word in three of it..."

And furthermore my original question was whether the particular filter I posted was any good and how hard it would be for a total novice (that's me) to fit, and not the best place to position a completely different company's filter with all sorts of mechanical jiggery-pokery.

And of course to dig this thread up - titled "Upgrade air filter" (exactly what I intended doing) I did have to search a bit.

But cheers for the help.

Edit: And this is quite a nice walkthrough. Except for the phrases "Uncouple the VAF" (what the smeg IS a VAF) and "Simply relocate..."

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”