Got my CAI Installed

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Absath

Got my CAI Installed

Post by Absath »

I finally got my CAI installed today. I'm pretty sure it's running fine. Didn't have any problems when I took the car for a test drive.

Not sure if I lost low-end power or not. It's hard to tell.

Here are some pics:

I do have a question though... I've noticed a constant hiss coming from somewhere in the engine, right around the center (right side of the IM). I noticed it before I put in the CAI or had even fooled around with anything. So it's not the CAI or something to do with the install.

I can't hear it with the hood closed, and so I only just noticed it today when I had the engine on and the hood open before I installed the CAI. Any idea what it might be?

The car idles much, much quieter with the CAI, btw :D

-Tim
Don't park drunk, accidents cause people.

92 Blaze Red MX-3 GS, KL-ZE, ACT Clutch, KL 36 ECU, SS Clutch Line
Absath

Post by Absath »

Also, I've noticed that the tinny rattle from my PaceSetter catback is more prominent. Before I installed the CAI it used to happen every once in a while when I was driving and accelerated past 3k RPM. Most of the time it sounded great, it was only occasionally that I'd get the tinny vibration sound.

Now it's seeming to do it all the time. Is it the increased air flow from the CAI?

Also, it will only make the sound when the car is in motion. Never when revved in nuetral.

-Tim

J0HN_R1

Post by J0HN_R1 »

:? Sounds like a vacuum leak, did you re-plum all the vacuum lines removed from the stock neck/tube...?

As for the header-rattle, it could be more prominent beacuase the idle is more quiet now (like you said)...?

:lol: Clean your engine bay man, summers' comin!!!
When this thing hits 88mph, you're gonna see some serious TIHS...!
Absath

Post by Absath »

Yes, all lines were replugged. But like I said, it was making the sound before I ever even touched anything.

And cleaning my bay is on my list of things to do ;) I just need to set aside a day to do it.

-Tim

shuan24

Post by shuan24 »

Absath, looks good!

Did you follow the tutorial from here:

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/211008/4

If so, where did you mount the pipe to? Or did you not mount it at all?
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Looks like hyrolock waiting to happen. I'd suggest getting one of those things that goes in the CAI that prevents water from getting into the intake or raise the filter to just above the hole. I know that most people like to run their CAI low to get cooler air, but you have to consider what is better .3 extra and a new engine or reliability. Also I could be wrong ,but in the pic it looks like there is no vacum hose going to the cruise canister. You migth try looking for that first, but I'd agree that it sounds like you have a vaccum leak. Over time those vaccum hoses get dry and will break or sometimes rattle off. You should be able to follow the noise to the problem with some careful listening.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Absath

Post by Absath »

Shaun- Yes, I used that as my primary guide. It was only a basic overview, so I had to ask some questions around the board here, but I ended up getting it all hooked up.

The intake pipe had a big bracket, but there was no way it was going to actually line up to anything to bolt to. It rests on the same part of the chassis the coolant resevoir is now bolted to. You can see it in the first picture.

This keeps the filter about centered in the pocket of space behind the headlight.

PAT- It is going to be very difficult for a significant amount of water to find its way up under the front bumper in an angle towards the headlight, and then drastically change direction to get itself into the little hole where the battery cooler tube was, and onto my filter.

"The Bypass Valve is used to protect the engine from hydro locking. Hydro locking occurs when the end of the inlet pipe is submerged in water and the water is sucked into the engine."

If my air filter is ever submerged in water, I think I've got bigger problems at that point. ;)

But about the cruise canister vacuum hose... could you be more specific, so I can go out and take a closer look? I heard the hissing, but I couldn't pinpoint the location. And I didn't see anything that looked like it was disconnected.

-Tim

Pigman

Post by Pigman »

The "hissing" you hear is most probably the air bypass on the TB (idle control screw on the top right of the TB).
R.I.P Dimes

Fool me once, shame on you!!!, fool me twice...shame on me!!!
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

you will not get hydrolock form that set up.,

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
dewthis

Post by dewthis »

The "hissing" you hear is most probably the air bypass on the TB (idle control screw on the top right of the TB).
Are you being serious? Don't you think the idle would be screwed up?

It has got to be a vacum line somewhere.
65 shot > V8
Absath

Post by Absath »

Idle is fine. I'll try and pinpoint the hiss better next time I'm out there working on the car.

-Tim

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”