Reverse not engaging?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
FroSTeD

Reverse not engaging?

Post by FroSTeD »

Hi,

I just finished changing my clutch yesterday, moved from a Centercrap Dual Friction to an ACT streetdisk/heavy duty pressure plate and I was going for a test drive and I've been stuck when I tried to go in reverse when I entered in a parking.

Gear 1-2-3-4-5 works #1, but I simply can't shift into reverse, it won't let me go. I removed the shifter rod under the car trying to shift it manually in reverse, same thing. I drove the car ~ 6km and it was ok going forward. I need to push the clutch pedal a bit far, but not yet completely to the floor.

I have a Protege GT flywheel-transmission, ACT MX-6 clutch kit Z62-HDSS, BPT motor, stainless steel clutchline. I still have the B6 clutch cylinder, might it be him that he's not long enough to push on the fork and not releasing the clutch properly?

The clutch pedal is now really hard to push, I guess it's because the pressure plate is stronger.

If I remember right, when the front wheels were jacked, I was able to shift in reverse (unfortunately I can't go back in my car until friday night to check this).

Anyone has an idea of what it could be? I'd like to drive back my car with a reverse gear working if possible! :) Thank you!
FroSTeD

Post by FroSTeD »

:help:
ryanlindenberg

Post by ryanlindenberg »

i have the the same setup, except i have the protege lx slave cylinder, mine works fine. do you have a stainless steel clutch line also? that would probably help. my clutch pedal went pretty close to the floor too but after the break-in period it seems to be about right...or i just got used to it...i dunno :)

i'd try the protege slave cyl and stainless line though. good luck
CARDOMAIN WITH UPDATED PICS
"There are 2 kinds of pedestrians, the quick and the dead."
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

have you tried going into 1st then with the clutch still in shifting it to reverse. Sometimes that helps. Also let out the clutch in nuetral then go CLutch in 1st to reverse. If that doesn't work maybe take it to a tranny shop.
FroSTeD

Post by FroSTeD »

Yes I've got the stainless steel clutch line. I will try with the protege slave cylinder, it was on my check up list :)

BuGS, yes I tried to shift everywhere then in reverse, I know it can do that but it doesn't seem to be the problem. I won't get it to a tranny shop now too, I'm pretty sure it's a really small issue as the tranny was working #1 before I change my clutch :)

Thanks guys for the infos, if anyone has more let me know!
MrMX3

Post by MrMX3 »

Did you ever figure out what this was? Mine's doing the exact same thing under the same circumstances. 1-5 is fine, but I just can't go over any farther than 5th to find reverse. I've tried from the shifter and even under the car at the tranny and it just won't go. So how did you solve your problem?
Mike
1993 MX-3 GS
2.5l KL-ZE
My Cardomain Page
stepchyld

Post by stepchyld »

I had this happen, after dropping in a new engine and clutch. Puzzled me. Like Reverse was no longer an option. And another interesting detail, reverse lights came on when in 5th gear. Here's what I discovered, figure it may be the same thing for you: The back up light switch, located on the forward side of my tranny, had a washer, we had misplaced it. When I replaced it with one of adequate thickness, the problem was solved. The switch was too far inside the tranny, blocking reverse from engaging. Check it out guys, just look at it, seemed to me that little washer was quite easy to lose, you'll have to look close, as my tranny was molded where the washer went, so it had a nice flat spot that made it almost look like it was there. If it's not, don't forget to plug up the hole while trying out washers, gear oil leaks, lol.
93 GS, ATX to MTX swap, chrome 16x7, upper strut bars, SRD LCA bushings.
Upcoming improvements: Tokico/Eibach struts/springs, energy suspension LCA bushings
94 RS MTX, Engine swap completed, ALIVE Again!
95 RS ATX, parts car/project X
MrMX3

Post by MrMX3 »

great idea, I had to change that sensor as the wires were broken, so I put a brand new one in and never even noticed if there was a washer there or not, so I'll run out in the morning and give that a try to see if that'll solve the problem..... but that sounds like what's going on, reverse just isn't an option anymore.

*EDIT* Couldn't wait until morning. Got too excited at the possibility of a solution and ran out to the garage. Backed the sensor up 2 turns, hopped in the car and she slid right into reverse without the slightest hesitation. So that's exactly what the problem was. Just need to find the right sized washer for it in the morning. Thanks a lot man, your a genious! :D
Mike
1993 MX-3 GS
2.5l KL-ZE
My Cardomain Page
FroSTeD

Post by FroSTeD »

Well, in my case they had to drop the tranny and open it. I had 2 broken "brass" in it and they had to replace it.

The guy found it weird that I was able to shift in 1st too because of that. But I had problem shifting 1st-second this winter and everytime I shifted the 5th button I had a "friction noise". But now no more noise, and reverse shift #1.

But in my self diagnostic, I noticed that the tranny has already been opened before. That has certainly something to do with that but now everything is fixed, for now :)
jkpgt96

Post by jkpgt96 »

i have a rare problem with my linkage being too short, buyt that is only in forward gears when under heavy throttle..
Laser Red '96 GT-12:1-IBeams-10k RPM-EXT. OIL PUMP-COLT ONE-OFF CAMS-CUSTOM LONGTUBES-SHEETMETAL IM-BUILT HEADS-125 SHOT-PAR 3/4 GEARSETS-MFACTORY LSD-ETC..SHOULD BE A FUN RIDE..:thup:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/542054

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”