spring to tight?

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
92rsmx-3

spring to tight?

Post by 92rsmx-3 »

the previous owner of my car had the strut replaced cause his blew out.
the car has been doin this for a while now. when i turn the wheel all the way to the right and back to the left. theres a popping noise. i thought maybe it was a borken cv shaft or tie rod. any way i had my friend turn the wheel while i watched it. and when he turned it back to the left. the spring like popped back into place or something. why does it do this? is it to tight? if so can i fix it?
95 Eagle Talon Tsi - New Toy
92 Mazda MX-3 RS - probably selling
86 Mazda Rx-7 - motor blew going 145
86 1/2 Toyota Supra - pissed me off sold it
91 Taurus... SHO - died
freyguy_412

Post by freyguy_412 »

Are they upgraded springs? It sounds like maybe it's not sitting right on the strut. Try poppin it off and checkin to see if the bottom of the spring fits into the groove on the strut, you will see what I mean when you take it off. But I wouldn't reccomend doing this unless you are familiar with your suspension and have worked on it before. If you miss one bolt when puttin it back together, it could be nasty on the freeway.
It might be slow, but it's not a civic!
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

That sounds exactly like the upper strut bearing is gone. They are relatively cheap to replace. Parts might run $20-$30 and if you've ever swapped out springs it's the same procedure as that to replace it.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
92rsmx-3

Post by 92rsmx-3 »

nope its a stock spring and strut. the mazda dealer replaced it. i'll check it out when i am at work. thanks guys
95 Eagle Talon Tsi - New Toy
92 Mazda MX-3 RS - probably selling
86 Mazda Rx-7 - motor blew going 145
86 1/2 Toyota Supra - pissed me off sold it
91 Taurus... SHO - died

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”