What is vics?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
krishna

What is vics?

Post by krishna »

this may sound dumb... but im doin a BP swap and i dont even have a clue what vics are... apperantly i have to have it, and ive run searches on what it is but all i find is how to set it up... and i dont even know what it is... ive got BP out of a LX protege... with an ecu... any one care to feel me in on this?
92' BP
Charles-
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

Did you get the wiring harness with the ecu as well?
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
Ruben MX-3

Post by Ruben MX-3 »

Variable Intake Control System
Shady469
Supporting Member

Post by Shady469 »

written by protejay from protegeclub.com:
"VICS = Variable Inertia Charging System

the intake manifold has 2 different paths - up until 5,000rpm the air is directed through longer, smaller diameter 'runners' to produce better torque. at 5,000 rpm, 4 butterfly valves open to route the air through shorter, larger diameter 'runners' to aid breathing for high-end horsepower."
the aforementioned butterfly valves are operated via a vacuum dash pot and a solenoid valve of sorts that regulates vaccum. Normally the valves are closed due to the vacuum of the intake manifold pulling on the dashpot, but when activated the ecu closes the solenoid valve and the dashpot is relieved of the vacuum, opening the butterfly valves.
B6T powered MX-3 - sold
Stage 3ish 03 WRX - sold
03 S2000 - current/ for sale
krishna

vics

Post by krishna »

so is all of this stuff already in the BP engine? i understand now how it works... and how to hook it up, but i dont even know what it looks like, or where it is for that matter.
92' BP
Charles-
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

I tested my VICS and mine opens up at around 4300rpm, wide open at around 4700rpm.
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
torpedan

Re: vics

Post by torpedan »

krishna wrote:so is all of this stuff already in the BP engine? i understand now how it works... and how to hook it up, but i dont even know what it looks like, or where it is for that matter.
Yeah as long as you have the right ECU and wiring harness it will be functioning unless there is a problem with the system otherwise. There is not much to see unless you tear down the manifold, although the vacum regulator and diaphram are externally visable.

VICS depends on what motor it is on for what RPM it opens. Numbers for when they really open are a bit sketchy to find accurate ones.
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
krishna

VICS

Post by krishna »

Yeah as long as you have the right ECU and wiring harness it will be functioning unless there is a problem with the system otherwise. There is not much to see unless you tear down the manifold, although the vacum regulator and diaphram are externally visable.

VICS depends on what motor it is on for what RPM it opens. Numbers for when they really open are a bit sketchy to find accurate ones.
okay so this motor has the vics in it already? and i plan on using my stock wiring... is that a problem? i understand that ima have to wire up the vics, ill probly spend a freakin month tryin to figure that out, but will that work?
Last edited by krishna on January 16th, 2005, 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
92' BP
Charles-
naprotejay

Post by naprotejay »

hi guys, new here from http://www.clubprotege.com/forum ..... altho i was quoted above when i used to go by 'protejay' :)

anyways for some in-depth info on VICS, what it does, and the differences in intake manifolds, check this link out:

http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7445

dyno charts start near the bottom of page 2 and lots of pictures are on page 3 comparing the manifolds...
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

if you use your stock wiring, the VICS wont work but it will run
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
krishna

vics

Post by krishna »

gah! not good, so if its not working, im losing hp? how hard will it be to swap harnesses?
92' BP
Charles-
Ruben MX-3

Post by Ruben MX-3 »

anyone know if i can use a 1994 stock rs computer to run vics properly?
Jteezy

Post by Jteezy »

Get the bp ecu, it has all the fuel maps and corresponding sensors, etc that go to the motor. After you get the ecu splice the vics with your stock wiring harness. You definitely want that ecu though, the stock ecu would be a temporary thing. Peace
Ruben MX-3

Post by Ruben MX-3 »

thanks b i guess that answers my question... peace
krishna

vics

Post by krishna »

Will vics runn properly with the Stock harness? i hear it runs.. but dosnt work?
92' BP
Charles-

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”