Need some ideas for Projector headlights.

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Re: Need some ideas for Projector headlights.

Post by johnnyb »

Originally posted by Samm:
what ever they come out to be i want some bright enought to where people flash there brights at you when you have yours on casue i could drive arond all nite with my brite's on, and is there gonna be like a blue or purple tint to the projector i love that look.. ??
Aiden: I think he means like the BMW look of the blue tint to the HID. I've seen purple on some Lexus as well.
Taras

Post by Taras »

[quote]Originally posted by Aiden:
;)
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
millionflame

Post by millionflame »

Originally posted by johnnyb:
Originally posted by Samm:
what ever they come out to be i want some bright enought to where people flash there brights at you when you have yours on casue i could drive arond all nite with my brite's on, and is there gonna be like a blue or purple tint to the projector i love that look.. ??
Aiden: I think he means like the BMW look of the blue tint to the HID. I've seen purple on some Lexus as well.
Yeah, I figured he meant the colour was the most important thing to him, but I also know H3 projectors usually come with some tint on them to make the light appear like HID.

Depending on what projector you choose, or he chooses, to install in the housings, you can achieve very good lighting performance as well as have a nice colour to the lights too.

For instance, if you go with a real HID projector, you can get Philips Ultinon bulbs that are meant to produce lots of colour. They don't use a tint either, and as far as I know, they're the only legal D2S bulb that does this.

If you go the Hella 90mm route with either an H7 or H9 projector (H9 is better though) the only way you'll get colour is to have a tinted bulb in there, or have a re-based HID kit.

PS: I forgot to add. BMW doesn't use a tint to make the colour. They use standard OEM 4100K bulbs which are pure white. The colour comes from the cut-off shield. The closer it is to the bulb, the more colour it will generally produce, and the sharper.

Another factor for the colour you see from those cars is the plastic lense they use in front of the projector lense. The angle, and composistion of the plastic lense also produces certain colours, and/or enhances ones already there.

Ultinons are also starting to be used by BMWs, Audis, etc, but not much. 4100K D2S bulbs are the standard for projectors that all OEM manufacturers use. I dont think Ultinons are legal in North America yet, just ECE approved.

<small>[ November 15, 2003, 01:18 AM: Message edited by: Aiden ]</small>
~ Millionflame (94 GS 120K)
millionflame

Post by millionflame »

Originally posted by JDM:
Originally posted by Aiden:
;) [/QB]
No problem. Just making sure it's not one of the usual mortar rounds aimed in my direction.

~A
Taras

Post by Taras »

Umm,

Philips Ultinon 6000K Xenon capsules are not DOT or ECE legal. They were primarily produced for the Asian markets where ahything from faint yellow to green to pink goes. One most likely would not want to go Ultinon route for their HID anyway, because it has been time and time proven that anything on the blue side absolutely sucks at night and especially in the rain. Blue spectrum of light is the most less visible for human eyes. Deer love it on the other hand... You know what that means. You will be blindly driving at night attracting deer to come out in front of your car :)

Back to projectors. Any decent projector will produce a prismatic effect at the cutoff. And that, as Aiden mentioned, will exclude APC H3 based ones. Wes mentioned before.

The prismatic effect is what most people think is blue light. Because the faint strip of blue/purple will get magnified from the distance and appear blue to oncomers. But the light on the ground is still white. Even Halogen projectors do that. Different projectors to different degree. And yes, you can magnify that effect by moving the projector cut-off shield closer to the light source, by probably 0.5 or 1.0mm.

The other thing with the whole blue light phenomena that HID started is that HID Xenon bulbs do get bluer with time. So a 1000hrs old HID bulb will probably be aroud 5000k colour temperature. New bulbs are whiter and old ones are bluer.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
millionflame

Post by millionflame »

[QB]Umm,

Philips Ultinon 6000K Xenon capsules are not DOT or ECE legal. They were primarily produced for the Asian markets where ahything from faint yellow to green to pink goes. One most likely would not want to go Ultinon route for their HID anyway, because it has been time and time proven that anything on the blue side absolutely sucks at night and especially in the rain. Blue spectrum of light is the most less visible for human eyes. Deer love it on the other hand... You know what that means. You will be blindly driving at night attracting deer to come out in front of your car :)QB]
Hmm, I certainly thought there were as I remember a tread on the Network54 forum about it, but maybe I was mistaken.

So, then wat are the bulbs that OEM manufacturers are using that have more colour to them already? I thought they were Ultinons. I may have to find the thread of HIDforum to show you what I mean.

~A
Taras

Post by Taras »

So, then wat are the bulbs that OEM manufacturers are using that have more colour to them already? I thought they were Ultinons. ~A[/QB]
Philips D2S/R 85122 CM 5000K capsules that are used to replace a capsule that was used for some time. So it matches to the other one. CM - colour match. Ultinons are totally different. Very confusing. Damn Philips.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
millionflame

Post by millionflame »

So, then wat are the bulbs that OEM manufacturers are using that have more colour to them already? I thought they were Ultinons. ~A
Philips D2S/R 85122 CM 5000K capsules that are used to replace a capsule that was used for some time. So it matches to the other one. CM - colour match. Ultinons are totally different. Very confusing. Damn Philips.[/QB]
Really? I never would have thought they would use used colour-shifted bulbs.

Hmm.

I only suggested Ultinons to the fellow anyways because it seemed like he was someone who wants that nice sparkle-and-colour effect over pure white and better lighting.

And yes, damn Philips. But hey, at least they make super light bulbs!

PS: I tried taking a video of my headlights turning on tonight, but it didn't work out so great. I'm going to have to make a shield to let less light in so it's not so saturated.
Taras

Post by Taras »

I think after we are done, this is going to be the longest thread ever.

If someone wants such a blue light produced by their headlights, then my suggestion is not to waste any money on Philips Ultinons, but to go and get blue film that they use for theatre lighting and cover your headlights in that. Achieves the same effect of not being able to see anything at night and leaves some money left over to pay the fines. ;)
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
Taras

Post by Taras »

PS: I'm going to have to make a shield to let less light in so it's not so saturated.[/QB]
You mean. Let less light out.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
millionflame

Post by millionflame »

PS: I'm going to have to make a shield to let less light in so it's not so saturated.
You mean. Let less light out.[/QB]
No, less light IN to the camera. HID light is just too much for it to take in at night.

I'm going to try it just before dawn so there's some ambient light to balance it out with.

~A
tommygunzit

Post by tommygunzit »

I'm too lazy to read through all the posts. So did anybody make these projectors yet? if not will they? thanks
Drive it like it's stolen, cuz it's so funny watching the cops creep up on ya real slow if ya stop, lol.
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

I'll go ahead and reply....

My sponsor has pretty much given up on it, well Ive pretty much given up on him really. He doesnt have time for anything. Basically his business has gotten too big, so he doesnt even have time to help me on my projects. So, in short, someone else will have to try them. We started on a mold, thats about it.

Anyone wanan buy some HElla 90MM lights. I just have a low and a high beam.
Taras

Post by Taras »

Barry, that is very unfortunate..... to say the least. I am sure you feel the same. I wish I would have friends at some plastics manufacturing facility. Anyone else is good with fiberglass or CF? :(
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
tommygunzit

Post by tommygunzit »

anybody know if these would work, and how complicated is it if it does,
http://www.modacar.com/products/Mazda/MX3/HIDKITS/
Drive it like it's stolen, cuz it's so funny watching the cops creep up on ya real slow if ya stop, lol.

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”