Need some ideas for Projector headlights.

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Need some ideas for Projector headlights.

Post by Custommx3 »

Hey guys.<p>My sponsor said he could make us some projector headlights. I am unsure on costs at this point due to we need to make a prototype 1st.
Please post ONLY IDEAS AND PICTURES. Do not post un needed comments, if so, they will be deleted. <p>
A few things u should know about these before considering these lights. (legal reasons)
1. The will NOT be DOT approved.
2. Offroad and show use only.
3. Wiring these may only be installed by a professional (reason being they will have to splice into your factory wiring harness, unless someone knows where we can get a 9004 adapter.)<p>They can be painted or unpainted, and we may even offer in real Carbon Fiber. (pricing will be more of course)<p>This thread is for IDEAS ONLY, pics preferred. there is not a 100% guarentee these will be made (I will be making my own set regardless) Those of you who photoshop can either use this pic, or do your own.
http://www.barrykclark.com/pix/2002-7-13/DCP_1699.jpg<p>let see some ideas.
mx3man83

Re: Need some ideas for Projector headlights.

Post by mx3man83 »

Please dont do carbon fiber, it's best that they are delivered unpainted and possibly disassembled. The reason i say this is because some of us may want to paint the insides to fit our own personal color scheme, not to mention it puts a nice personal touch to the project.
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
millionflame

Post by millionflame »

Here's an idea.<p>Use a Bi-Xenon projector, and a driving light in the small corner for "flashing."<p>~A
~ Millionflame (94 GS 120K)
bugzy's mazda

Post by bugzy's mazda »

where can you get it made at? I agree with mx-3 man see if we can get them disassembled so we can add or own style.
Ride fast and ride hard you only live once.
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Please do carbon fiber. That way people could personalize their car and the Carbon would match hoods, interior pieces etc..
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
quinn_seipp

Post by quinn_seipp »

Definetly do C/F and use the design that was posted up here awhile ago with the projector photoshop onto the black mx with the mp5 front bumper. If you don't want the C/F look then paint them :shrug:
130 hp and 1000 horsepower strong, ;)
Taras

Post by Taras »

Barry,
This image was seen here before, and whether it is a photoshop jobby or real, it is still one of the best ideas.Image
I think that it would be better to use Hella H9/H7 projector units, they are DOT legal and come in high and low beams. They are also very easy to convert to HID if anyone wants. The depth of the unit may be a problem, but that could be solved with good design of the front cover. H9 or H7 units (I mean 90mm ones, not 120mm) are also weather proof, so it is easier to design with, you just need to mount them with the front cover, just like in the picture. Of course there has to be mounting places for the adjusters (x3). Each unit is adjustable and could be aligned individually. These units are also available in US and Canada through various retailers. Here are a few:Susquehannaor at PUMA USA tel :( 800)333-7862 If you are looking at H7 unit I would be looking at E-code one, it has a better pattern, but would be illegal. I would also suggest using a wiring harness with relays. That way you can also gain some light through use of clean power from the battery. Also, make sure the low beam units will be on the outside, otherwise it also be illegal.
Cheers,
Hope that helps.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
Taras

Post by Taras »

Aiden, I think HID would be sweet, but costly, plus Bi-xenon Hella or Bosch units are pretty rare for "mass" production with the same specs, and most of the ones you can find are used. Then, if they go with H7 or H9 they are easy to convert to HID, if anyone actually will be bothered to do research on how to do it themselves. May be the units could have an HID option. Hella makes HID projector units similar to H9 complete with ballasts and bulbs, etc. So, may be it should be an H9 based lights. I guess HID would be over $1000 USD. Anyone could pay that? DOT legal though.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

something like this...Image<p>would look cool on the mx
Taras

Post by Taras »

Barry, here are some links:
Hella 90mm Module
Idea 1
Idea 2
Where to buy Hella Products
Online section lists Puma and Susquehanna too. They are known to carry 90 mm units<p>Hella Catalogue, see page 5<p>Hope that helps. You wanna good lighting, you gotta get the best that is out there, just do not get APC to make your headlights.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
Taras

Post by Taras »

A la Lamborghini
A very crazy idea #3<p>With Hella units these would be waterproof as well.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

Well how about you make some carbon fiber and some not?? The guy could probaly use the same mold for both fiberglass and carbon fiber. Even if he couldnt, once he made one mold it would not be hard to make another.
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
neverenuff
Supporting Member

Post by neverenuff »

I think this is the pic you were tring to post JMD.<p>Image
[IMG]
DJPRO

Post by DJPRO »

I'm in for a set of high and low beams headlights.
'92 MIATA
'93 MX-3 BPT
'08 CX-9 AWD GRAND TOURING
monstar-mx-3

Post by monstar-mx-3 »

I like the one that was posted by never

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”