tire sizes n' stuff

A forum for Drag Strip/Track Racing Discussions. (NO Street Racing or Kill Stories, they WILL be deleted.)
13flat

tire sizes n' stuff

Post by 13flat »

ok guys, the swap is done, the journey to 13 seconds w/o forced induction has begun. i know im no where near 13... not yet anyway ;) , i still have a lot of kinks to work out.

anyway i had a question about tires. i'm going to do my first official run in about 2 weeks, when the strip opens up. i know the car is going to hop like crazy (since im going w/stock mounts. the guy w/the polyurithayne ones wont have me ready for a while i guess) will the tires have anything to do w/the wheel hop? i guess what im asking is, should i stick w/the 15's or go up an inch or 2? if i move up in size wont that slow me down? as far as 1/4 times are concerned?

thanks

looking to run in the low 14's....but thats a HOPE :shrug:

<small>[ February 25, 2004, 10:48 AM: Message edited by: 13flat ]</small>
Goal: 1/4 mile time of 13.099 or better, N/A. ...still in the works

http://hits4pay.com/members/index.cgi?ittfund
SIXPACK

Re: tire sizes n' stuff

Post by SIXPACK »

yes keep your 15". bigger rims will make you slower

/SIXPACK
Black '92 GS - Pacesetter QuickShift w. SRD Extension rod Bushing + bronzoil - Top Speed Pro1 exhaust - Hotshot style headers - GTS coilovers - 18" ADR Sokudo gunmetal, f+r strutbar, floorbar & SRD crossmember
UoMDeacon

Post by UoMDeacon »

It depends...if you can find really nice light wider tires, then it'll probably help you on the traction front. However, consider the moment of inertia. Usually bigger tires shift most of the weight to the outside of the rim, making it harder to get turning. Generally I always have been told that when going for best times, get the smallest wheels? Anyone back me up here?
killerpickle

Post by killerpickle »

I think I should clarify, bigger rims do NOT make you slower. You are more concerned about the wheel height. Keeping the same overall height as you would have with stock rims and stock profile tires. Most every aftermarket 17" rim should be lighter than your stock rims...thats important to look for. The person selling you the rims and tires should know all this junk, and he/she should be able to tell you what profile tire to get to keep the same wheel height. You dont want to screw up your speedometer...
Tom Alexander
93 MX3 GSR - KLZE / stage 3 clutch / PRM Intake / 2.25" exhaust - dual 3" outlet
full custom black and red interior / KLZE ECU / JE50 VAF
http://home.cogeco.ca/~mx3/ - updated dec 1/03
GuidoBiRiChiNo

Post by GuidoBiRiChiNo »

If it's only for drag I'd put 225/45 15.
i.e. a large tyre with small diameter to have your gears shorter and a lot of traction.
-italian lonely MX'er-
aaronthehic

Post by aaronthehic »

ya 225/50/15 are about the best you can get in around that size the smaller the better on the front , but i also would run a tall er tire on the back something tall and skinny

if you don't have the ze ecu get it, it is good for a half second in the quarter
13.023 @ 105 mph
13flat

Post by 13flat »

thanks for all the help guys! :D

JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

AHHHhhhhhhhh the Yoko AVS ES100's are the BEST street tire I've had yet! I've had Nitto 215/40/16 NT450's, Nitto 205/45/16 NT555R drag's, 215/40/16 Khumo Ecstas, and then the best gripping 225/45/16 Yokohamma AVS ES100's. The Nitto 555R drags would have had better grip if they were the same width. My car spins all of them completely through 2nd gear on the Pro LX tranny with the VJ 13/14 hybrid turbo I had on it at 14psi. At 17psi it spun all the way through 3rd and barked 4th! :freak:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
13flat

Post by 13flat »

yeah, they look pretty sweet and im wanting to get them but i hear that they wear extremely fast and that they're loud(like interior noise is louder) so im kinda in limbo right now, i need to save for at least a week or 2 more anyway but should i still do it? mainly i just want to use them on the strip, with my stock wheels..it's no biggie if i have to swap wheels every time i want to use them, cuz i have an extra set of 14's that will do just fine.

what do you guys think?

JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

I drove on mine daily. I'm a pretty aggressive drive and like to play a lot, so the front pair only lasted me 3 months. They are softs tires, thats part of the reason they have so much grip. If you used them only on the strip they would last a LONG time!!! Noise wasn't that bad, nothing your stereo can't drown out...of coarse I couldn't really hear the tires over top of my exhaust. According to Tire Rack, the AVS ES100's have about the same dry grip as the Bridgestone Pole Position S-03's for about half the price! The Pole S-03's however do have a bit more wet grip. If you need a All Season tire I've heard the Falken 512's are REALLY hard to beat with the great grip, 300AA traction, and a mild price tag. Discount Tire sells Falkens. The best strip only tire choice would be a set of small slicks on a set of light Miata rims from the local junk yard. Your next best choice would be the Nitto NT555R Drag radials, and I've heard the New BFG Drag tires are pretty sweet also! The AVS ES100's are what I'd choose if the same set of tires were gonna be for both summer street driving and the track. Affording both is rather pricy. Hope this helps ya! :welder:
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
aaronthehic

Post by aaronthehic »

any slips yet jw??
13.023 @ 105 mph
13flat

Post by 13flat »

sorry, no slips yet, track opens next tuesday not this tuesday like i had thought. so i get to sit around on my spring break and wait til then...

like i said though, im probably looking 14.1-14.6ish, i know thats kinda vague but thats my best guess (from talking to people in the area and a lot of number crunching) im wondering though, lets say i run a 14.5 on regular all weather tires, how much time are these new bad boys gunna be worth? i wouldnt think more than a few 10ths??

thanks for all the help

aaronthehic

Post by aaronthehic »

1 tenth on the 60' is about three on the quarter mile approx

slicks will give you a half second
13.023 @ 105 mph
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

Not yet, I've had the car tore apart for almost 6 months now. I'be been ordering parts from Derrick at Corksport for almost a year now JUST for this build phase. I'm about $700-$1000 shy of finishing the bottom end, all it needs is rods (I'm wanting Carrillo). The head is about $2000 shy of being finished. The only other things I'll have to finish is the fuel system, at least another $1000. Then the drive train, at least $4000 on the tranny, $1200 or so on axles, $400 light flywheel, around $1500 or so on a twin disc clutch, and last but not least about $2000 on the NX Nitrous set up! I may change the stand alone to a AEM later, haven't decided yet, and I may swap out the turbo for a GT35R (600HP).

I'm getting married July, 4 this summer so I'm hoping to find some sponsors. If not then I'll be able to invest the $11,000-$15,000 left to go, after I get it put back together, probably over the next 2-3 years.

Donations anyone??? LOL!!!! Sponsors??? :freak: :welder:

Return to “Drag Strip/Track Racing”