MX-3 V6 Clutch master cylinder

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
ernaja

MX-3 V6 Clutch master cylinder

Post by ernaja »

Hi Fellow MX-3er's. Does the V6 model have a clutch master cylinder? If so, where is it located? :crying: I am having a problem with the clutch on my 92 GS V6. When I push in the clutch pedal, it makes sort of a high pitched squeaking sound and the revs drop, making the engine stall. When I'm driving it shifts fine, although I still hear the squeak when I get on the clutch pedal (I need to shift quickly to avoid stalling the engine) My question is, does the MX-3 have a clutch master cylinder? If so, could the fluid being low/ empty cause this problem? The clutch does not slip at all when I'm driving. Any help would be awesome.
Grants
BANNED Member

Re: MX-3 V6 Clutch master cylinder

Post by Grants »

As far as I know the clutch uses the brake master cylinder.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
Tempus

Post by Tempus »

Originally posted by Grants:
As far as I know the clutch uses the brake master cylinder.
Can't be.. if they had same master cylinder, your clutch and brakes would activate at the same time.. They need to have seperate master cylinder's

I believe they do however share a common FLUID Reservoir.. Perhaps that's what you meant to say? so check the brake fluid level to make sure that fluid's not low etc..
{sigh} Time to move on
Out with the old: Tropical Emerald MX-3 GSR (KL-DE)
In with the new: Phantom Blue Mazda3s GT
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Whoops - thats what I meant!
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

There is a connection between the clutch and revs - the ECU receives a signal from the clutch switch. The same signal is generated when the gearshift is in neutral. Do you get the same stalling in neutral with the clutch not depressed?
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
ernaja

Post by ernaja »

No, it does not stall in neutral. It stalls only when I push the clutch pedal in. It shifts fine though when I'm moving (Not enough time inbetween shifts to stall motor). Maybe the clutch master cylinder is going bad.
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by E Jackson:
No, it does not stall in neutral. It stalls only when I push the clutch pedal in. It shifts fine though when I'm moving (Not enough time inbetween shifts to stall motor). Maybe the clutch master cylinder is going bad.
Hard to understand how that could be the cause. If the clutch hydraulics (master or slave cylinder) were bad, you would have very difficult and noisy gear shifts - do you?

If I understand you correctly, you are stationary with the transmission in neutral and the engine running. You depress the clutch pedal and the engine dies - is that right?
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
jpwmx3

Post by jpwmx3 »

It sounds like the switch behind the clutch pedal is defective.
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by jpwmx3:
It sounds like the switch behind the clutch pedal is defective.
My thought too, but I 'm not too sure which switch or what defect.

There are two clutch switches: One puts ground on ECU pin R1 when the clutch is depressed, but so does the neutral switch, and that isn't giving the problem. The other switch is the starter interlock - it only gets volts when the key is turned to start. Maybe there's a short on the line from that switch, which is having the effect of killing the ignition or fuel.
tatsu

Post by tatsu »

We just recently had the exact same issue with our clutch - exact same symptoms, noise, etc.

It was (I believe) the pilot bearing. If you have been driving it like this for a while, you'll need to replace your clutch assembly completely, due to the damage that would have been done...don't ask how I know...

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”