KJ 2.3

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
papa roached

Re: KJ 2.3

Post by papa roached »

Originally posted by IanL:
Originally posted by Mariusz:
Should I use stock flywheel from K8(MX-3) or KJ(Millena) ?
I would say stick with the Millenia flywheel, as long as its suitable to take the clutch - I'm willing to bet there's no-one who's tried a lightened flywheel on a KJ, and you are doing enough risk-taking already ;)
thing is you gotta use teh K8 flywheel because the millenia dont have one, it has a flexplate because its an auto
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by papa roached:
thing is you gotta use teh K8 flywheel because the millenia dont have one, it has a flexplate because its an auto
My error - didn't know about drive plates for ATX. Maybe a KL flywheel would be more suitable?
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

If it was me I'd be putting an aluminum flywheel on there. Lighter is better in my book. Using the K8 flywheel gets you a few pounds lighter and for him it would be free.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by TsiMiata:
If it was me I'd be putting an aluminum flywheel on there. Lighter is better in my book. Using the K8 flywheel gets you a few pounds lighter and for him it would be free.
I know that's true with an Otto Cycle engine, but this is a Miller Cycle - huge valve overlap - I'm skeptical that a lightened flywheel will be good.
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
mmx01

Post by mmx01 »

I've called to them today, they've promised to reply my about this topic till sunday. I have hope that the price won't kill me.
Dreaming about K8 to KJ swap :]
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

Originally posted by IanL:
Originally posted by TsiMiata:
I know that's true with an Otto Cycle engine, but this is a Miller Cycle - huge valve overlap - I'm skeptical that a lightened flywheel will be good.
There isn't more overlap on a miller. The intake valve is open longer- while the exhaust valve is closed. It doesnt run like a 68 camaro with a crazy cam. It's a luxury car engine, which is all about being smooth.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

mmx01

Post by mmx01 »

I have some doubts about this KJ swap, I heard that there is a lot of problems with spare parts.
So the swap it self is doneable but what with car exploatation ? Spare parts for SC and others ? Does anyone knows sample prices of the weak engine parts ?
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

From everything I've heard the KJ is very reliable. I have a friend thats a parts manager at a mazda dealer. He told me the KL 2.5 liter millenias had much more warranty work than the KJ powered cars.

mmx01

Post by mmx01 »

So it's basically better than a ZE ?
Also what is the diffrence between KL-ZE straigth and curved neck ? besides the shape ?
Does someone knows this company ? : http://www.a1jdmengines.com/home.htm

PS. most of peoples are switching the distributors between ZE and K8 during swap why ? If you can buy a engine with distributor why don't use a stock one ?
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Also what is the diffrence between KL-ZE straigth and curved neck ? besides the shape ?
The straight neck usually interferes with the brake reservoir on LHD cars, the curved does not.
most of peoples are switching the distributors between ZE and K8 during swap why ? If you can buy a engine with distributor why don't use a stock one ?
You have already had that information in this thread :) : http://www.mx-3.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=004988;p=2#000042
mmx01

Post by mmx01 »

Yes, but I received a picture of an engine where the distributor is complete with the high voltage wires. If the distributor is complete should I or should I not switch it ? Probably not :)
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Yes, but I received a picture of an engine where the distributor is complete with the high voltage wires. If the distributor is complete should I or should I not switch it ? Probably not :)
If it is "complete", fine, but count the H V wires - if there are seven, it has a separate coil and igniter.
mmx01

Post by mmx01 »

I will check number of HV cables, and what means reservoir interfaces ? There is only cable for brake fluid level.
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

I will check number of HV cables, and what means reservoir interfaces ? There is only cable for brake fluid level.
Sorry, technical term. Interferes, not interfaces - it means it comes into contact with it :)
mmx01

Post by mmx01 »

OK, so which one should I choose for replacing my K8, curved or straigth ? I have LHD like most europeans :) K8 has a curved one :)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”