KJ 2.3

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mmx01

KJ 2.3

Post by mmx01 »

Hi, will the KJ engine fit the MX-3 like KL-ZE ?
My current engine is K8.
I have possibility to purchase one (KJ) and i wonder what ECU should I use and can I install it with the stock MTX. Anyone done a swap from K8 to KJ ?
Dreaming about K8 to KJ swap :]
IanL
Supporting Member

Re: KJ 2.3

Post by IanL »

Mariusz,

This has been discussed quite a bit - try a search for KJ. But the bottom line is that its a taller engine, so a real challenge to get it to fit, the intercoolers are needed for the Miller Cycle, so another challenge, the ECU is unique (because the Miller Cycle is unique) so you have no option, and it's ATX only (so quite a lot of finagling needed to use it with MTX).

Apart from that, it should be a breeze ;)

<small>[ June 14, 2004, 05:15 AM: Message edited by: IanL ]</small>
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Its also built for economy, not performance.
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by Custommx3:
Its also built for economy, not performance.
It's supposed to have the economy of a two litre with the performance of a three litre. I don't know if there's a JDM "ZE" version, but, compared with a KLZE, the export version (KJS) has 10 hp more, and 45 ft.lbs more torque. That's performance in my book ;)
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Is all that work and extra money worth 10 HP?

Thats worthless in my book : )
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by Custommx3:
Is all that work and extra money worth 10 HP?

Thats worthless in my book : )
You may be right about value for money, but you fastened on the hp - that's just about top speed. I'm not interested in that - I can easily lose my license with the K8.

IMHO road car performance is about acceleration, and for that you need torque, and the KJS has 27.5% more than a KLZE.
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

Well then I'm sticking a Viper engine in my car. It will be just as easy as putting in the KJS and just as Unstreetable.
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
mmx01

Post by mmx01 »

The reason why i mentioned about KJ is simple.
I cannot obtain any KL-ZE in my home country (Poland) sometimes there is a single KL-ZE in Germany for 1400 euro without ECU! it's a joke.
I don't know nobody in US who can help me with finding KL-ZE in a good condition. KJ is the engine which I can purchase localy in Poland, that was the reason of my question, but as i see there is a lot of differeneces between K8/KL-ZE and KJ.

Regards,
Mariusz.
Dreaming about K8 to KJ swap :]
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

So is it correct that the Millenia has a supercharged 2.3 liter? What does the intake manifold look like...? How about the super.. It would be nice if I could modify my ZE pully system with Millenia parts and a supercharger...
GS-R SE
Fixin's
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Originally posted by Zoso124:
Well then I'm sticking a Viper engine in my car. It will be just as easy as putting in the KJS and just as Unstreetable.
Who says a KJ would be unstreatable?
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by mdavis:
So is it correct that the Millenia has a supercharged 2.3 liter? What does the intake manifold look like...? How about the super.. It would be nice if I could modify my ZE pully system with Millenia parts and a supercharger...
Not a hope. Read this thread: http://www.mx-3.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=004205
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

"Not a hope"? Why do you say that? It really doesn't seem that hard.. I didn't say put a KJ in, i said use the super parts
(undoubtedly with modification, but still a nice starting point)
GS-R SE
Fixin's
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by mdavis:
"Not a hope"? Why do you say that? It really doesn't seem that hard.. I didn't say put a KJ in, i said use the super parts
(undoubtedly with modification, but still a nice starting point)
I said it because the super parts won't fit, as it says in the thread I quoted. The KL heads won't take the KJ inlet manifold, and the KL block won't take the KJ heads. Unfortunately, the link to the exploded diagram is broken, otherwise you'd be able to see what I mean. You could try fitting the Lysholm Screw Supercharger with a custom manifold - but how much do you want to pay? And could you still see the road over the bulged hood?

The only practical way to go would be a complete KJ engine. Don't get me wrong - I'd love to see it done.
Balhirath

Post by Balhirath »

Originally posted by Mariusz:
The reason why i mentioned about KJ is simple.
I cannot obtain any KL-ZE in my home country (Poland) sometimes there is a single KL-ZE in Germany for 1400 euro without ECU! it's a joke.
I don't know nobody in US who can help me with finding KL-ZE in a good condition. KJ is the engine which I can purchase localy in Poland, that was the reason of my question, but as i see there is a lot of differeneces between K8/KL-ZE and KJ.

Regards,
Mariusz.
Hmm in Europe you should be possible to locate a KL engine fairly easy.
What you're looking for is the engine for the Mazda 626 GE 2.5L V6 (from 1992 to 1997)

I hope that helps :)
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

Here we go with incorrect information being posted. The guy is looking for a klze, not a kl03. European cars did not come with a klze. They came with a 164 hp kl03, not a 197 hp klze.

<small>[ June 16, 2004, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: mx3man83 ]</small>
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”