KJ 2.3

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: KJ 2.3

Post by Custommx3 »

Originally posted by Mariusz:
The reason why i mentioned about KJ is simple.
I cannot obtain any KL-ZE in my home country (Poland) sometimes there is a single KL-ZE in Germany for 1400 euro without ECU! it's a joke.
I don't know nobody in US who can help me with finding KL-ZE in a good condition. KJ is the engine which I can purchase localy in Poland, that was the reason of my question, but as i see there is a lot of differeneces between K8/KL-ZE and KJ.

Regards,
Mariusz.
The guy actually asked about a KJ, not a KLZE. He also said he can sometimes get KLZEs but they are expensive.
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

Originally posted by Nd4SpdSe:
Who says a KJ would be unstreatable?
I do, if you look at the specs peak numbers are made down low, too low. You nail the gas you got right into the curb. As we said before, its not a performance engine, based on economy.
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by Zoso124:
Originally posted by Nd4SpdSe:
Who says a KJ would be unstreatable?
I do, if you look at the specs peak numbers are made down low, too low. You nail the gas you got right into the curb. As we said before, its not a performance engine, based on economy.
Its true that an engine which develops its best torque low down requires the driver to change from first to second at a lower road speed; thereafter you just go up the range of gears, with little difference to the everyday driver. In the case of highly artificial track tests, such as the standing quarter-mile, this may contribute an extra gear change, and affect the figures.

Before the fires are lit, let me explain: Most normal driving situations which require good acceleration require the driver to put the car into the best gear for the road speed he is currently at - so if you are in the right gear for overtaking before the opportunity arises, you just press the pedal and get the torque. That gear may be one number higher, if your engine develops its best torque at lower revs.

That seems to be far from my understanding of "unstreetable", which I take to mean " unsuited to everyday use on public roads". Most manufacturers now try to improve the low rev torque characteristics to give a more relaxed ride - that suggests the modern products are more streetable, not less.

Of course, if it means "unsuited to street racing"........I'd have to say the jury's out on that one.

In comparison between the KJS and KLZE, as far as the figures go, I'd choose the KJS, because the numbers suggest the same performance or better, without the need to use very high revs. But weight could be an issue on the other side of the argument - the supercharger and intercoolers could reduce the KJS's advantage. I'd love to see it put to the test. The KJS Millenia does 144 mph, and 0-60 in 8 sec. Anyone know what a KLZE Millenia does?

<small>[ June 17, 2004, 04:18 AM: Message edited by: IanL ]</small>
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

The peak rpm numbers maybe lower but the torque curve drops very little after the peak.

http://www.sounddomain.com/member_pages/show_image.pl?fg=000000&bg=FFFFFF&migration=1&image=http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/7/web/211000-211999/211227_16_full.jpg

The KJ makes almost 200ft lbs to the wheels instantly. Then slowly drops off to ~160 ft lbs. Even at its lowest point the KJ makes as much torque to the wheels as a ZE does at the engine. Keep in mind these numbers are going through an auto tranny to. With a manual you will easily make over 200 ft lbs and 10 or more Hp.

If you could get a KJ to run with a manual it will kill a KLZE plain and simple.

<small>[ June 17, 2004, 07:58 AM: Message edited by: TsiMiata ]</small>
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Agreed, the KJ would whip a ZE, that torque in a manual tranny with a good driver to controll all the torque steer, hehe, would be enough to propell the car past a ZE.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

Originally posted by Balhirath:
Originally posted by Mariusz:
The reason why i mentioned about KJ is simple.
I cannot obtain any KL-ZE in my home country (Poland) sometimes there is a single KL-ZE in Germany for 1400 euro without ECU! it's a joke.
I don't know nobody in US who can help me with finding KL-ZE in a good condition. KJ is the engine which I can purchase localy in Poland, that was the reason of my question, but as i see there is a lot of differeneces between K8/KL-ZE and KJ.

Regards,
Mariusz.
Hmm in Europe you should be possible to locate a KL engine fairly easy.
What you're looking for is the engine for the Mazda 626 GE 2.5L V6 (from 1992 to 1997)

I hope that helps :)
The original post may not have been about klze's, but this guy right here is providing bad info for people that may be searching in the future. I am simply telling those people the proper information.
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
mmx01

Post by mmx01 »

Hello, well I'm in the bad situation, it seems that:
I cannot purchase KJ (to difficult to swap)
I cannot purchase KL-ZE in Europe (to expensive 1600 euro for engine + ECU)
Turbo/SC installation providing to small boost, max 200HP from 1.8K8
Dreaming about K8 to KJ swap :]
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

Then just buy a regular KL engine. Its alot cheaper than the ZE and its easy to find. Its also got an extra 34hp over your stock motor and they get good power when boosted. Like Balhirath said, they come in 626s, and I dont know if its the same in Poland as it is in the USA/Canada, but you should be able to find them in base Millenias, Probe GTs, and MX-6s too.
Image1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring Edition Innocent Blue Mica- Not stock...
1993 Teal MX-3 GS- KLZE and other goodies. RIP
mmx01

Post by mmx01 »

Hello, I received today reply from one of our (Polish) tunning groups. Just in basic translation mail has included info:

We can install KJ in MX-3 for 400$, KJ and K8 have the same engine mounting points(bolts).
You can leave yours stock MX-3 gearbox. The rest of the elements should be from KJ.

Now i don't know is it hard to switch them or not. 400$ is not a big price. Also i don't know if they are telling the truth.

Mario.
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

I don't think they have any idea what there talking about. Your stock gearbox would be dead in a matter of weeks if not days with that kind of torque on it down low.
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
mmx01

Post by mmx01 »

Does someone know what are the maximum values which stock MX-3 can held HP,torque? "From experience, news from buddys etc."

Like gearbox and others ?
For example what maximum "safe" power can I put to my stock K8 ? Stock parameters are 130HP, 157Nm torque, 200HP and 250Nm is resonable with 0.8 PSI boost?

As I see in the posts stock MX-3 K8 gearbox is to weak for KJ, but if I don't use all KJ's power before changin GB to new one it should work for a while?
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by Zoso124:
I don't think they have any idea what there talking about. Your stock gearbox would be dead in a matter of weeks if not days with that kind of torque on it down low.
Isn't it true that the MX-3 gearbox is the same as that fitted in MX-6s and V6 Probes (with small ratio changes), and that people have boosted those cars to over 210 hp and probably the torque of a KJS? Maybe the gearbox isn't that weak at all.

Mariusz,
If you are interested in the KJS swap, look into the front-to-back dimension of the engine - if it's taller (and we are told it is) it will also be larger front-to-back, and you may not have enough room in the MX-3 engine compartment.
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Just to add that I have now found that the JDM KJ (KJZEM) has 20 hp and 52 ft lbs torque more than the KLZE.

http://me.a-spec.ca:6001/Past/Piston/99Millenia.html
mmx01

Post by mmx01 »

Ok, so if this is hard, to fit KJ in K8 engine bay because of dimensions what can be done to override this ? If KJ fits to K8 engine mounting bolts then changing profile od the hood should help ? (if the KJ will be to high)
So how this tunning group will do this ? They gave me the price of the modification so they should be ready and well informed about swap requirements.

Reg,
Mario
mmx01

Post by mmx01 »

I'm looking for diffrences in dimensions between K8 and KJ engines and engine bays.
I'm interested in the specific numbers.
Does anyone knows where I can find such data ?

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”