ZE wont start

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Mx-3 Guy

ZE wont start

Post by Mx-3 Guy »

Ok I know this has probably been posted a thousand times but I really need help.
I installed the ZE in the other night and it fired right up, but the exhaust wasnt hooked up so it was to loud so we couldnt keep it going. So the next night we put the stock manifolds on and downpipe, but no muffler and it fired right up, we had it running pretty smooth but when we went to move it out the door it died, and we just cant figure out what happened, but what we noticed was that the first night the fuel pump was humming like crazy, but now we cant even hear it turn on. I did install a new timing belt when I put the engine in and im using the millenia manifold. and I dont have the front 02 sensor hooked up right now because I had to have my headers modified.

any help you guys could give me would be great. we just cant understand how it started so nice but when we tred moving it, it wont start again.
curtklze

Re: ZE wont start

Post by curtklze »

check for power at the fuel pump, if no power check the relay and the fuel pump fuse, maybe the clutch switch?

if it has power, make sure that the pump is working.
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.
Mx-3 Guy

Post by Mx-3 Guy »

What I found weird was the first night it started I could hear the fuel pump just a humming and now theres no noice at all and I have my back seat out and everything.
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

then i would say the fuel pump aint pumpin
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

do what I said to do.
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.

Mx-3 Guy

Post by Mx-3 Guy »

There is power but there is no huming or any sound comming from the fuel tank.
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

pull the rear seat bottom out of the car, then remove the cover on the floor, with someone cranking the car, have some one bang on the top of the fuel tank with a hammer, if the pump starts to work and the car starts then you need a fuel pump.

if it still wont work then remove the fuel sending unit from the gas tank, then check for power right at the fuel pump its self.

If there is power right at the terminal of the fuel pump then it needs a fuel pump.

if there is no power at the fuel pump but there is power at the connector for the sending unit, then you need to either clean the rterminals or replace the sending unit.
Yes, I AM a bastard

TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

This sounds stupid but somehow I've managed it twice. After changing the engine in my RX-7(which I did a total of 5 times) I had just enough fuel for the car to run for a minute or two then it was dead empty. Since it was right after a motor swap and it did run adding a gallon or so of fuel to fuel tank never crossed my mind. The first time I did this it took me a week to figure it out. It sounds very stupid, but sometimes its the obvious, easy things we tend to overlook
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
Mx-3 Guy

Post by Mx-3 Guy »

Thanks for the info, have anymore suggestions.
notasfastasyou

Post by notasfastasyou »

sounds silly but did you check for spark?
Mx-3 Guy

Post by Mx-3 Guy »

Ok I figured out I got fuel, I got spark and I got compression, The only thing we can figure now theres something out of time, cause it sounds like it wants to go but, just wont fully kick in. I did install a new timing belt when i installed the engine, could it have jumped the timing cause the car did fire up at first but died when we went to move it. any help would be great.
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

1) are the fuel feed and return lines hooked up properly or did you revese them by mistake?
2) is the engine flooded with gas.
Yes, I AM a bastard

Mx-3 Guy

Post by Mx-3 Guy »

Ok played with it agian tonite, come to find out I only have 40psi of compression on the back 3 cylinders, but what I dont understand is that it started up and was running smooth so them back cylinders must have had more compression then that before, could it be anything to do with the cams cause I had them out and had them regrinded.
Mx-3 Guy

Post by Mx-3 Guy »

Hey curt how could I tell if the lines are reversed.
Mx-3 Guy

Post by Mx-3 Guy »

could the cam timing be off inside causing it to have no compression?

or could the engine be washing down, causing it to have no compression.

cause I really dont think its rings cause the engine started and was runing fine. for like 5-10 mins.

come on guys anyone have anymore ideas

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”