MX-3 vs MERCURY COUGAR

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Re: MX-3 vs MERCURY COUGAR

Post by johnnyb »

lol you must feel like you were trying to finger a hooker to orgasm after that :D
Balhirath

Post by Balhirath »

Well it's nice to see a post with a lot of facts in it ;) <p>I like both cars, but ofcause I like the MX-3 better. *grin*
airjordon_09

Post by airjordon_09 »

uh ohhh, jordon's going to open his mouth again<p>first, are these people ****ing insane???? like who the hell compares a boat, to a mx-3??? like i remember that broad coming on this site, what a joke that was, but anyway, they are comparing two cars in two completly different class's, <p>here, for all those ****y guys with their super fast grannie rides, meet me somewhere with your ride, and i will show up with my other ride which is a little more in the same class as your piece of ****, its called a monte carlo, you show up with your cougar v8 what ever the hell floats your boat, and i will show up with my 2002 monte carlo z34 ss, and then we will see whos laughing *****es<p>
hahaha, are these guys honestly mental, woooo, **** if i bought a 2000 car like most of these guys and i was only getting 170hp, i would cry myself to sleep everynight,<p>case closed, they think they are tough and they think they are fast, but they are comparing it to a completly different car, try racing a real car<p> later
JºrDôñ
Mx sold, gonna miss ya babe

gti_driven@hotmail.com
Hy300

Post by Hy300 »

KLZE block can be purchased for around $900 (rated 200hp and close to 170ft/lbs from the factory, 10:1 compression), a custom turbocharger setup can run anywhere from $2000 to $4000. Price varies so much because it is a homemade turbocharger, no kits, just knowledge of how to put it all together and make it run right. $400-$500 dollars for a KLZE ecu, and then another $200 for a good boost controller. $400 if you want to replace all of the rings and gaskets.<p>All of this is a drop in for the MX-3, no transmission change, no rewiring of ecu's or sensors. It all fits if you're good enough. There have been turbocharged Probes with KLDE (Stock block, 9.2:1 compression) engines and good turbocharger setups that run low to mid 13's. I know someone with a KLDE, regular modifications, careful calibration and a 70shot of N20 who ran 12's in his Probe with street slicks (Nitto 555r IIRC). I know it was less than 100shot, I believe he said it was around 70hp to the wheels and his Probe still weighed more than a stock MX-3.<p>Since you're a member stop by the V6 FAQ up at the top of the page and you'll find all the info you need.<p>Pic: KLDE w/ T3s60 @8psi, large spearco FMIC, Walboro 255lhp inline fuel pump, and FMU
Image<p>[ June 04, 2003: Message edited by: Hy300 ]</p>
Hy300

Post by Hy300 »

Remember now, a MX-3 weighs 2580lbs from the factory and many members strip close to 100lbs from the car just for daily driving. Now, take that lightweight MX-3 and put in a turbocharged KLDE running 8psi on a T3/04 hybrid intercooled with a an extra injector.<p>A KLDE can be sourced for $400-$600 and rebuilt with fresh pistons, rods, and everything else for $600 more from Flatlanderracing.com.<p>Here is a photocopy of transmission information from a technical book G25 transmission<p>[ June 04, 2003: Message edited by: Hy300 ]</p>
red-mx3

Post by red-mx3 »

"case closed, they think they are tough and they think they are fast, but they are comparing it to a completly different car, try racing a real car" -airjordon_09<p>
Dude, you just said the mx-3 isn't a real car ....lol<p>[ June 04, 2003: Message edited by: red-mx3 ]</p>
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Thx for the reply NorCalCoug, very informative (and non-flamming)<p>Now that i've gotten the info i wanted, im staing away from this thread, all this flamming is giving me a headache :o
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
quinn_seipp

Post by quinn_seipp »

Someone just please go into this thread... http://www.fastcougar.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=7&threadid=74015<p>and point out the fact his car wasn't even close to being considered as something simliar to those cars... I have driven a Z06 and a C5 convertable and all I can say is they are BOTH insanely fast. I still can't get over that he actually considered himself as american muscle, lmao... :roll:
130 hp and 1000 horsepower strong, ;)
NorCalCoug

Post by NorCalCoug »

I'm not here to flame, just to provide info, so I'll just ignore the flaming parts. ;) <p>Thanks for the info on the KLZE and KLDE. I've always thought that those motors had good potential, and it's nice to see people modding them out. The only real issue with the Cougar turbo system was the fact that the engine bay in a Cougar is so cramped due to the size of the block (DOHC on a 2.5L V6 isn't small. Baby got big head ;) ) The Street-flight turbo kit costs $6000 but that's including turbo headers, blow-off valve, custom hybrid turbo (I don't remember which compressor and housing), engine management unit, injectors, spearco air/water intercooler (sealed unit since there's no room for FMIC and piping in the Cougar), and so on. It's well tested and runs well. <p>Vortech has a supercharger kit for the Cougar that dropped one guy down to a mid 14, but he's having traction issues and launching issues. Hopefully he resolves those. ;) <p>Unlike your motors, we've only had the benefit of a couple of years worth of time to develop stuff. With the resale value on the car so low meaning they find their way into the hands of mod-hungry teenagers, and with the Duratec motor becoming a pervasive motor in many FoMoCo cars (including the Mazda 6), we'll hopefully get more parts.<p>I'll definitely look at the V6 FAQ and peek through it.<p>Right now there aren't really any tranny swaps available; some people will add the european final-drive to the tranny when they have it pulled to install a new clutch and quaife limited slip diff, so they get a higher top speed. Plus you gotta do something to save a little extra gas on the freeway. ;) The automatic tranny is kind of crap, like most Ford autotragic trannies, but as it's the same one used in the Escape (CD4E transmission) and Kenne Bell planned a 300hp supercharger setup for the Escape on stock tranny, we're pretty sure it should hold up to more power than the MTX75 (the Cougar's manual transmission).<p>The Duratec motor itself was first seen in the 1995 Contour and Mystique, IIRC, so it's been around for a while. Just not in a sportier looking car. <p>The SVT Contour gains the 30hp mostly from cams, but it also has 19lb injectors and a double extrude-honed upper and lower intake manifold to increase airflow (hence the 19lb injectors over stock 17lb) for the intake hungry cams.
marius

Post by marius »

In an attempt to make peace between us and the the Cougar guys, (I hope you Cougar divers are reading this because this includes you as well) all I could say is one of the big reasons I'm assuming why we all chose the car we drive wether it be a MX-3 or Cougar, is to be different and stick out of the norm. You guys know who and what I'm reffering to.
If I flew by a Cougar on the highway (freeway for the Americans out there), sure I would feel good and have that temporary sense of superiority. I'm sure a Cougar driver would feel the same thing if he flew by my GS.
Fact of the matter is, who's there to see it? We would be going so fast everybody would be seeing our tailights only to wonder who's in the lead.
In settle the dispute of which car looks better, I think both cars look good. But I couldn't give a $#it of you Cougar guys opinion on how my car looks. The only opinion I care about comes from that woman walking down the street wearing the tight a$$ jeans. Seriously, other than ourselves and our peers, who are the #1 people on the list of wanting to impress?...WOMEN. Do not tell me that you haven't tried to impress a woman at some time or another since you had your MX-3 or Cougar. Other than the women racers like the ones we have on our forums, do you think a woman cares if you have a KLZE engine or a Duatec engine? What I'm trying to say is that if you're a guy or a woman that looks like a guy, I don't care what you think how my car looks.<p>I hope I made sense here. If any of you guys think I'm wrong, please let me know.
:shrug:

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”