what's the right VAF for KLZE

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
SimonPK

what's the right VAF for KLZE

Post by SimonPK »

I seen so many posts on the swap I can't figure out what VAF to use.<p>I'll be swapping in a KLZE in 2 weeks time and I would like to know if I can use my K8 VAF which has JE50 written on it. Will anything go wrong as I have seen posts saying this causes a CEL for "too rich too lean"?<p>If the JE50 is not right which one do I need to use?<p>thanks.....
dkrangers

Re: what's the right VAF for KLZE

Post by dkrangers »

I'm swaping over the forth and plan on using my K8 VAF. Good luck with your swap.
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

the JE50 (mx-3 GS stock) is what comes on a KLZE in japan.
SimonPK

Post by SimonPK »

thanks for the quick replies! That crosses one more unknown off my list.<p>Just so everyone knows I managed to get a KLZE (MS8) at Foreign Engines in Lynnwood, WA for US$849 - they had 3 other KLZE's there on Tuesday - all straight necks though - all looked very clean and the compression tag were good and high and even on them all. So with duties & freight I paid CAD$1400 delivered to my garage in Vancouver, BC. I asked about freight to the East and they reckon US$200 pretty much covers anywhere in the US, for Canadians you're on your own from the border!
mazdasly75

Post by mazdasly75 »

The thing that will determine wich VAF you need isn't the engine..<p>It's the ECU! if you plan to run a KL03 ECU then you need a KL02 VAF. If you're keeping the K8 ecu. You need the OEM VAF JE50. You know your engine will suck gas as a cow suck milk?? It will also have, when closed loop MAP, a period that the 2.5L will run lean and will overheat??? Plan on swapping a 2.5L ECU or a new burned chip with 2.5L fuel MAP.<p>I would consider for a KLZE ECU wich keep the JE50 VAF and you'll get a better gas millage as well.<p>Good luck
1996 MX3, KL, stock internal, T3T4, 10psi, tial wastegate and blow off, 450cc injectors, 255lph, 3" mandrel bend exaust, 67mmTB, megasquirt II, launch control/flat shift, boost controler, 4bars MAP 16x16 built in, 300whp
SimonPK

Post by SimonPK »

Thanks for the advice - how much should I pay for an ECU to suit?
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

goto the buyer/seller feedback forum and look for Lazzie. He can get u one. Nt sure on the price, but I know it should be <300 bucks.
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

Engine land for 200 CND...and it's not far from Trois-Riviere either..I'm ordering mine there
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

Oh made a mistake I tought the guy who wanted the ecu was from trois-riviere...Well engineland is located in Montreal (Quebec)...As far as I know it's the cheapest place to buy it.
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
mazdasly75

Post by mazdasly75 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by babyblueMX3:
Oh made a mistake I tought the guy who wanted the ecu was from trois-riviere...Well engineland is located in Montreal (Quebec)...As far as I know it's the cheapest place to buy it.<hr></blockquote><p>Nah!<p>I have a SDS stand alone ecu now.
1996 MX3, KL, stock internal, T3T4, 10psi, tial wastegate and blow off, 450cc injectors, 255lph, 3" mandrel bend exaust, 67mmTB, megasquirt II, launch control/flat shift, boost controler, 4bars MAP 16x16 built in, 300whp
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

Wow, glad I saw this post b/c i was about to ask this question just now.<p>SO let me get this straight, with the KLZE motor, you can run 3 different ECU's: K8, KL, and KLZE. And two different VAF's: K8 and KL<p>So the KLZE VAF is the same exact one as the K8?<p>So...that would mean, to run a KLZE properly with a K8 ECU you'd need a KL VAF (to get better gas mileage/performance), and if you run a KLZE with a KLZE ecu, you'd need the K8 VAF right?<p>Which would also lead me to assume, if for some reason you run your KLZE with a probe or mx6 KL ecu, you'd want the KL VAF with it to have it run properly.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
lazzyie

Post by lazzyie »

actually you can run the kf ecu too... but yes
ECU/VAF
k8/k8
k8/klde
klde/klde
klde/k8(don't do this)
klze/k8
klze/klde(don't do this either)
kfze/k8
93 Mx-3 GS klze swapped(sold)
96 Integra LS DD
91 Crx Si drag car
2.0L sleeved gsr block, forged internals, skunk2 valvetrain, HP racing intake manifold, Holset H1 turbo, 1000cc injectors, short geared lsd transmission, 3" turboback exhaust. 20 psi :)
mazdamaniac

Post by mazdamaniac »

Just to add to the confusion -
I could NOT get the engine to operate correctly with either the K8 ECU or the KL ECU and the K8 VAF on a KL.
The only VAF that would work correctly was the KL VAF with either ECU.
mattster

Post by mattster »

SI,<p>so theres a place in lynwood that has ZE's for sale? that is so awesome! if i read your post correctly, they should have 2 more KLZE's with straight-neck IM's for around $850? e-mail me.
92 Mazda MX-3 GS: blaze red, bone stock, and daily driver
86 RX-7 GXL: '94 LT1 V8, 6 speed tranny, scary fast. SOLD
93 Mazda RX7 R1 LS1/6speed... 75% complete

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mattsterrx7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
^link to my V8 swap page

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”