Engine Problems

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
92RedGS

Engine Problems

Post by 92RedGS »

Recently I was driving down a highway and slowed down a bit to let some pass by and as I steped on the gas to get back up to speed my engine started to act like i was running out of gas but i had a full tank so I pulled over and could not get it started back up. If any one can help with any suggestions on what is wrong please reply. Walking two miles in 105 degree heat to a gas station in the middle of nowhere is not fun.
92RedGS :)<BR>I'm Sorry, Officer, I didn't realize my radar detector wasn't plugged in. Say aren't you the guy from the Village People?
white fish

Re: Engine Problems

Post by white fish »

maybe distributor<BR><P>------------------<BR>Clear White 2.5L GSR
Bri94GS

Post by Bri94GS »

Either that or your alternator....u clean anything under the hood lately??
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
SE-Man

Post by SE-Man »

I've had the same prob, but i could start it if it was floored, but it then would die again when the RPMs droped..... I've still not got it fixed.<P>------------------<BR>Thanks,<BR>Teri<BR>'93 MX-3 SE
Frenchguy0

Post by Frenchguy0 »

Once my alternator belt broke and my car just died on the Highway. It would start with jumper cable but die 2 minutes after. I had to change alternator belt (US $15) and my battery. <P>------------------<BR>Frenchguy0<BR>'92 GS Emerald Green<BR>crenia@hotmail.com
Frenchguy0<BR>'92 GS Emerald Green<BR>crenia@hotmail.com
92RedGS

Post by 92RedGS »

the problem is i haven't cleaned anything under the hood, my belts look fine, and when i try and start my car it turns over and sounds exactly the same as normal but it won't start.I'v been racking my brain over and over agian and all I can think of is maybe there is something wrong with the fuel getting to the engine(fuel pump or something)<BR>This is just a guess i'm not that mechanicly inclined with indepth engine parts.
92RedGS :)<BR>I'm Sorry, Officer, I didn't realize my radar detector wasn't plugged in. Say aren't you the guy from the Village People?
Potatoes

Post by Potatoes »

I recommend that you try to get someone to give your car a boost to see if it will start.... if it does start then it may be your alternator or battery! If it doesn't start.... try checking your distributor!
jonnybpimpin

Post by jonnybpimpin »

well the exact same thing happend to me and my dad to his mazda truck. all it was . was the battery . and some fuel filter. <BR>this happend in the winter after a long drive. like a 5 hour drive. <P>if this helps at all i donno. <P>jonny
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Hey man,<P> Pull out one of the spark plugs and try and start the motor. If you can smell gas in the cylinder you are ok. If not check the fuel pressure regulator or the fuel pump.<P> Jarid Perry<BR> 94 Blaze Red RS<P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 92RedGS:<BR><B>Recently I was driving down a highway and slowed down a bit to let some pass by and as I steped on the gas to get back up to speed my engine started to act like i was running out of gas but i had a full tank so I pulled over and could not get it started back up. If any one can help with any suggestions on what is wrong please reply. Walking two miles in 105 degree heat to a gas station in the middle of nowhere is not fun.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
92RedGS

Post by 92RedGS »

Well today i changed out my fuel filter and i still can't get it started so tomarrow i think i'll take the fuel line off the filter and see it the fuel pump is still working. before i do that though i wanted to ask the board if anyone knows if there is a fuse for the fuel pump. also i wanted to thank you guys for the help and i i do finaly get the problem fixed i'll post the solution here in case someone else has the same unfortunate problem.
mazdamaniac

Post by mazdamaniac »

The problem is almost certainly your distributor.<P>------------------<BR><B>Jeff Abrams</B><BR> jeff@mazdamaniac.com <P><B>SUPERCHARGED</B> 2.5 liter 1993 Mazda MX-3 GS <BR> <A HREF="http://www.mazdamaniac.com" TARGET=_blank>http://www.mazdamaniac.com</A> <BR>Normally aspirated 1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata
mendel00985

Post by mendel00985 »

There's a fuse for the fuel pump in the cluster of fuses in the engine bay; I think it's a 10amp fuse but you can check the cover.
92RedGS

Post by 92RedGS »

To Jeff Abrams<P>Is this the problem that you discribed under the distributer page on your web site. if so should i just get a new distributer and put it on or what would be my best course of action from this point because i'll try anything to just get my car running again.
Bri94GS

Post by Bri94GS »

Make sure all your spark plugs are in order, and that they're all connected tightly. Maybe try changing dist. cap/rotor before buying the more expensive peices. Other than that, I would think it was your battery or alternator....did you try poppin' the clutch to get it started? Or do you have auto?<P>------------------<BR>~'94 GS
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
92RedGS

Post by 92RedGS »

I'd like it to be a five speed but it's an auto and i know the problem isn't my battery because everything works when i turn the car on. when i try to start the car it turns over but won't fire up like its supposed to. It fired up the first time i tryed to restart it on the side of the highway but felt like only two out of the six spark plugs where actualy sparking and was knocking really hard.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”