What Is The Best Sparkplugs?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
93BlackMX3

What Is The Best Sparkplugs?

Post by 93BlackMX3 »

I Hear The Cheap Copper Ones Are Better Then Other Expensive Sparkplugs. Is This True?

What Do You MX-3ers Use?

What Gap Measurements You Using?

What Kinda Of Ignition Wires You Using?

More Detail The Better Everyone Can Benefit From This Topic :)
SuperK
Supporting Member

Re: What Is The Best Sparkplugs?

Post by SuperK »

Copper plugs burn hotter than platinum. Hot plugs are good for an NA setup.
I am using iridium plugs and aren't having any issues with mine. In fact, I really like them.

NGK is brand of preference, although that doesn't mean other brands won't suffice.

Keep away from Bosch plugs. It's something about their resistances and build that don't match japanese-make cars.
They do well in european and american built cars, but fall short on jap cars. At least the jappies that I've driven.

I also run NGK wires. You won't need high resistance wires with our little four bangers.

I run my gaps at factory sets. If you closed the gap just slightly, I can see where that'd be a bit beneficial.
If you upgrade your ignition (IE HEI mod or such) then you'd want to increase your gap.

If you're doing a full tune up, it could be a good idea to check your disty cap and rotor for wear and replace as necessary.

On a side note, you don't need to capitalize every word.
It's not "What is the best sparkplugs" It's "What ARE the best"
"Kinda of" defeats the purpose of using "Kinda"
"More detail the better" should be "The more details the better" since you're asking more than one question.

On another side note,
Thank you for not using runon sentences, and punctuation. :P
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
Savin

Post by Savin »

As SuperK said, Bosch plugs suck. My car kept eating them. I was having to replace the plugs about once a week; that's an expensive problem. I haven't had a problem with NGK plugs....yet.

I haven't had any problems with Bosch wires though. They seem to do okay. NGK might have a more desired outcome for you though. I've never used them so I can't compare.
Look at fowljesse's worklog. He did a write-up on how to use MSD wires for our cars.

Mr. K of Super pretty much covered everything else.
'95 MX-3 RS - Project "Déjà Vu" Destined for the scrapyard.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'93 MX-3 GS SE - Parts car!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Scrapped
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Scrapped
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

SuperK wrote:Copper plugs burn hotter than platinum. Hot plugs are good for an NA setup.
I am using iridium plugs and aren't having any issues with mine. In fact, I really like them.

NGK is brand of preference, although that doesn't mean other brands won't suffice.

Keep away from Bosch plugs. It's something about their resistances and build that don't match japanese-make cars.
They do well in european and american built cars, but fall short on jap cars. At least the jappies that I've driven.

I also run NGK wires. You won't need high resistance wires with our little four bangers.

I run my gaps at factory sets. If you closed the gap just slightly, I can see where that'd be a bit beneficial.
If you upgrade your ignition (IE HEI mod or such) then you'd want to increase your gap.

If you're doing a full tune up, it could be a good idea to check your disty cap and rotor for wear and replace as necessary.

On a side note, you don't need to capitalize every word.
It's not "What is the best sparkplugs" It's "What ARE the best"
"Kinda of" defeats the purpose of using "Kinda"
"More detail the better" should be "The more details the better" since you're asking more than one question.

On another side note,
Thank you for not using runon sentences, and punctuation. :P

Ok for the last time. A copper plug does not burn hotter than a platinum plug.
The heat range you see on the plug does not determine the amount of heat produced by the spark, they are the same.
The heat range determines the amount of heat transferred into the cylinder head and then into the cooling system.
The only different between copper, platinum, iridium etc. Is the type of material used in the insulator, conductor and ground strap.

Another question, why would you want a high resistance wire on any setup?
The maximum amount of resistance in a 7mm wire, IIRC is 10-15 thousand OHMS if resistance PER foot. If its more, replace, if less and no signs of wear, reuse them.
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

This question is a lot more complicated than it seems. I just did about 10 minutes of research. There's a massive ammount of info out there.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Yes. It's a multiple part question, too. Like any performance upgrade, you can "tune" your parts for what you're looking for. For instance, for all out best performance, silver tip plugs are the best, but will wear out quickly, and are expensive. On the other end of the spectrum, iridiums will last a long time, but don't produce as strong of a spark (Even these points can be challenged). There's ALOT to learn about spark plugs, believe it or not, and there's ALOT of info on this forum. If you're still not sure, you can search keywords on Google.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
MazdaRider

Post by MazdaRider »

im useing NGK All the way around an i love'em :love:
8mm on plugs their bad a--
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

MSD make the best wires. I did a write-up on how to make your own MSD wire set for less than $70, and as far as I'm concerned, it's the best bang for the buck by far, if you're willing to work a little. Nology wires are cool, because they produce a srtonger spark.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

in my experience (12 years or so), unless you are driving something heavily modded,(i.e. boost, cams, stroker, whatever) running your stock plug at factory gap is the best bet. I always sell a factory matched plug when i sell parts at work , unless the customers requests otherwise. I always use NGK in my Mazda motors cause that's what Mazda used. As far as wires go for our cars i'd say a 7mm(NGK, Belden, Accel, whatever) would do just fine, again unless you have some mods. I plan to go with 8mm wires after the HEI mod. That's my 2 cent. (Man I use a lot of parentheses, lol)
93SE-KLDE Theres a big peice of metal inside my other peice of metal now...weird???
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

I've been running NGK Iridiums with the NGK blue wires. The car starts up very fast, and they work extremely well.

I definitely like them.
Ukrman

Post by Ukrman »

I have NGK wires with NGK G power spark plugs,and the set up works great

Heres a thread on spark plug wires
http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=67240" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
92 Mazda MX3 GS

http://www.cardomain.com/id/ukrman" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - cardomain page
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=66481 - worklog
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=72099 - feedback
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=71757 - stuff for sale
http://s2.metaldamage.com/c.php?uid=159229" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - biggest waste of time

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”