What Clutch?

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
Cy

What Clutch?

Post by Cy »

I just got a BP in Nov. with a new aftermarket OEM Replacement clutch..
The artards @ the shop didn't resurface the flywheel i'm sure and i got a bit of slip like 2 days later.

I drove it for 800Km nice and easy trying to rework the face of the clutch.It did..... I've been driving it for about 8000K now and i'm getting slip again..

A BP is only like 50more hp then a B6...I'm going turbo so if this is happening i'm getting an ACT street clutch...

Q: Would the initial slip have screwed the clutch right from the start?..Or did my "world is my race-track" driving do this.

Q: Could the clutch just be glazed over and need tobe sanded ?

I'm running a F-Series trans on a BP so i have a B6 Flywheel and clutch
Q: Is the G-series clutch Larger AKA more gripping power.

Q: Is an ACT Street Clutch and pressure plate going to hold the power of a 7-psi BP?

Thx in advance to any and all repliers
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

I'm running a F-Series trans on a BP so i have a B6 Flywheel and clutch
Q: Is the G-series clutch Larger AKA more gripping power.

Yes noticable differece. over the f-series. I am also running a f-series with a catch. 90-93 miata flywheel miata ACT Xtreme pressure plate. stock mx-3 clutch disc. can't complain got a 12.8@110.

Q: Is an ACT Street Clutch and pressure plate going to hold the power of a 7-psi BP?

Yes it will hold the power. BUT why settle for a ACT STREET. go for the ACT Xtreme. worth it in the long run. ONCE u go boost u will want more.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
Cy

Post by Cy »

I thought of that but i'm not the kind of person to just buy and hope it fits...

Flyinmiata provided me with the information as to the flywheel weight difference...

ACT lists 2x 4-pad and 2x 6-pad clutches....but both are 22spline....just 200 and 224mm difference.? Should not then both clutches fit the F-Series AND G-Series Input spline?

So...
Flying miata lightweight 1.8 flywheel + 1.8 ACT Xtreme pressure-plate + 1.6 clutch + bearings + tool

= 429+386+102+46+4 =
$967US = $1137.69CAD +tax+shipping+border = Aprx $1500..
GoneAmok
Supporting Member

Post by GoneAmok »

Cy:

If you are looking for another option (and a Canadian one at that), perhaps http://www.bullyclutch.com/indexen.html would do the trick. I am going with a 'stage 4' six puck configuration for my B6DE turbo project. Should give me some flex if I tweak things up beyond 8 psi...

Should have it installed in about two weeks... provided life doesn't offer any surprizes :P

Regards.
Cy

Post by Cy »

The price of the ACT doesn't bother me...I regard quality over price, especially on a Collect and Build project.

Collect and Build being : Collect all parts, paint,etc.. Take a week off work and work 18+hours a day on it till it's done.
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

Try http://www.clutchnet.com or http://www.specclutch.com

For around $800US you can get a 12lb aluminum flywheel, 3-puck sprung hub metallic disc, and a 2300lb pressure plate from Clutchnet. This setup is rated at 600lb/ft. torque capacity.

My first setup was a ACT simi-metallic street disc, ACT heavy duty pressure plate, Pro-LX 22ish lb flywheel. At 13psi on a large Garrett GT30R I TOASTED the clutch! It was rated at around 280lb/ft. torque.

My last setup was the Clutchnet 3-puck sprung hub metallic disc, ACT 2100lb pressure plate, and both the SPEC 9lb flywheel and Pro-LX 22ish lb flywheel. Rated at 485lb/ft. torque. At 26psi on a large Garrett GT30R with a conservative timing map I was slipping this clutch .

My current setup is a Clutchnet 3-puck sprung hub metallic disc, Clutchnet dual diaphram 2300lb pressure plate, & a SPEC 9lb flywheel. Doesn't slip anymore!!!

My next setup I'm looking to SPEC for a custom twin disc setup.

Increasing the clutch O.D. will increase torque capacity. Also, making the clutches surface area SMALLER will dramatically increase torque capacity. The reason is it applies more clamp force to a given point.

A handy referance tool for calculating clutch capacity....http://www.zoomperformance.com/torque_calculator.html

P.S.

My setup is based off the 92 Pro-LX drive line. The 323 clutch disc and pressure plate are the same...I think the flywheels are also. The NA 2nd Gen RX-7's use the same clutch disc as well but the locating dowel pins on the flywheel are slightly different making the pressure plate not a direct swap. :wink:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

[quote="Cy"]I thought of that but i'm not the kind of person to just buy and hope it fits.....[/quote]

Thought of what !!??

F-Series is a 20 spline count

G-series id a 22 spline count

BOTH 1.6 miata and 1.8 miata have a 22 spline count just 1.6 is a 200mm

and 1.8 is the 224mm difference.

[quote="Cy"] Flying miata lightweight 1.8 flywheel + 1.8 ACT Xtreme pressure-plate + 1.6 clutch + bearings + tool [quote]

u got it all wrong i have the 1.6 miata stock flywheel 1.6 miata ACT Xtreme pressure-plate and the 20spline stock mx-3 clutch disc reason why it fits with the f-series trans.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
Franko
Supporting Member

Post by Franko »

I have a Bully Clutch and it is BAD a--. Call them up, they are really awesome guys. Im sure that the person you talk to on the phone will be the guy actually making your clutch for you and is not just some salesperson.

I called them a couple of months ago because mine had some marks in the pressure plate. They were really nice and said that its normal. I told them the clutch wasent slipping and he said "Ohh god Its not going to slip on you. If you want it redone you can send it to us but it will definately be fine."
I like that confidence that he has about their product. I would recomend a bully for anyone. I have a stage 3 six puck.
93 MX3, BP, Haltech E6X, Bully Six Puck Clutch, Pauter Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Port and Polish, Turbonetics T3/T4 Ball Bearing turbo and a partridge in a pear tree.
Cy

Post by Cy »

ok so i'm getting a tad kuffufled about all the info :P

My hopes are to get a 1.8L flywheel and pressure plate and use a 1.6L clutch disc..

Is this possible? or do you have to go 1.6 from the flywheel out...?

As far as bully clutch, I've never been a fan of unspring clutches...Because I do 99.9% street/autoX driving and i like a smooth engaging clutch..

Also.

Which flywheel are you running Frank? again i do alot of city driving with some steep hills so a 9lb is probably a little to touchy...12lb sounds great...still being like 15lbs's lighter then stock...

Again Thx to all repliers
Franko
Supporting Member

Post by Franko »

My clutch is sprung..

See?

The engagement is really smooth. Its just a little different way you drive it is all. Its a pretty short distance from not engaged and then engaged but when you get used to it its perfect. This is hands down the best clutch ive ever had.

And I still have the stock flywheel..
93 MX3, BP, Haltech E6X, Bully Six Puck Clutch, Pauter Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Port and Polish, Turbonetics T3/T4 Ball Bearing turbo and a partridge in a pear tree.
Cy

Post by Cy »

part #'s ?
Franko
Supporting Member

Post by Franko »

Bully Clutch 613-748-1515

Just call these guys up and tell them what flywheel and stuff youre going to be using and how much power you plan to make and he will recomend a clutch setup for you. They are really really cool guys. I dont remember my part # off hand. Its best to call them and tell them what you have anyway.

Return to “Forced Induction”