My car is doing something really wierd after 30mins of drivi

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Juans_93_MX3

My car is doing something really wierd after 30mins of drivi

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

It seems like the throttle body cable or something gets stuck a little and leaves the car reving at 2,300RPMs when driving (I notice 2.3k RPMs when I put it in Nuetral).
I wont have to press the gas and the car will just accelerate by its self slowly.
In order to stop this I have to put my foot underneath the pedal and push the pedal up to put it back to normal but even then, when I hit the pedal down again to start accelrating it gets stuck again

How should I fix this?
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
ruthless_mx3

Post by ruthless_mx3 »

yeah what he ^ said

mine does same thing, but mine will also randomly fluctuate the rpms at idle between about 600-1700rpm. Revs up revs down up down and so on. The only way to get it to stop, which still doesn't always work, is to rev it quickly to round 7000rpm. Not something I want to have to keep doing and besides you look like a moron when your sitting next to a minivan at a light and your reving like you want a race.

I am assuming it may be because I have kl31 cammed klze with millenia manifold and TB, stock k8 air meter, and kl31ecu, and crappy intake.
I would like to do the megasquirt's full control setup to eliminate ecu all together. I missed the BulkBuy on probetalk does anyone know where to get the setup that comes with the maps already set close to whatever mods you may currently have?
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

your tps is out of adjustment, look in the faq on how to adjust it, my car does this too, it the first thing im doing next weekend.

Bochek
Adam Bochek's 93 1.6L SOHC http://www.bochek.ca/car.gif
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

wow, just read the faq, I didnt really understand much of it
Where is the Throttle Positioning Sensor at? How does it look like?

I dont understand what he means by:
Insert .006" (0.15mm) feeler gauge between the throttle stop screw and throttle lever
Throttle stop screw and throttle lever? Whats that?
What does he mean by continuity?
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

Juans_93_MX3 wrote:wow, just read the faq, I didnt really understand much of it
Where is the Throttle Positioning Sensor at? How does it look like?

I dont understand what he means by:
Insert .006" (0.15mm) feeler gauge between the throttle stop screw and throttle lever
Throttle stop screw and throttle lever? Whats that?
What does he mean by continuity?
by the sounds of things, you eather need to find another mx'r that knows how to do them, or print out the faq and take it to your mechanic and have him do it.

Bochek
Adam Bochek's 93 1.6L SOHC http://www.bochek.ca/car.gif
sexy_mx3

Post by sexy_mx3 »

mine does this too, I was also advsd by someone that it could have something to do with the oxygeon sensor and the air flow and what not...??

Does that make sense to anyone as well?
Spinkx79
Supporting Member

Post by Spinkx79 »

Mine did the same thing last summer (only when hot though) i took off the Throttlebody and cleaned all the brown gummy crap out of it and it went away.

g.l
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

fuckn MX3 is nothing but problems
If I try fixing this myself, am I risking messing something up?
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

It's not TPS, or o2's or anything like that it's just the return springs suck on the throttle plate especially when hot. Clean the gunk out with throttle body cleaner and it will help.
ruthless_mx3

Post by ruthless_mx3 »

what about the VAF? How important is it to have the JE50 VAF. I've heard about it but there hasn't really been any discussions about it. I've finally reallized that the closest matching ecu for the curved neck manifold is the domestic mx6/pgt ecu. Noone has really said much about VAF though.
If the TPS was off wouldn't it be off all the time, always causing wrong/sparatic idle, not just after driving for a while?
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Ok, I guess I will try cleaning the TB
But say its the TPS and I try to fix it myself, do I risk messing osmething up?

Oh yeah, can someone please answere my questions I had about what that guy meant on the FAQ?
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

Re: My car is doing something really wierd after 30mins of d

Post by Custom_V6_Limited_SE »

Juans_93_MX3 wrote:It seems like the throttle body cable or something gets stuck a little and leaves the car reving at 2,300RPMs when driving (I notice 2.3k RPMs when I put it in Nuetral).
I wont have to press the gas and the car will just accelerate by its self slowly.
In order to stop this I have to put my foot underneath the pedal and push the pedal up to put it back to normal but even then, when I hit the pedal down again to start accelrating it gets stuck again

How should I fix this?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if pulling the accellerator pedal back had any effect on the car wouldn't that mean that the throttle cable is adjusted too tight? (Or that there is a bad spring)
'93 MX-3 GS SE:My Mods
ruthless_mx3

Post by ruthless_mx3 »

I noticed the cable comes in at a weird angle at the throttle body and also it is as if the cable is almost too long. I also have to pull my pedal back it usually fixes the problem.
BornSticky

Post by BornSticky »

put some dry grafite in the clutch line it could be catching mine used to do it where you have to pull it up with your foot till i did that
92 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE Curve Neck, Probinator ECU, Full 2.5" exhaust with headers, cai, performance radiator, millenia alternator, 5spd, excedy stage 2 clutch, MTX 12" sub sony explod D series 600w amp, pioneer 260w deck, kyb on dropzone springs, HEI mod.
92 Mazda RX-7 (efini) FD3S urethane motor mount, Air intake, 18" Chrome rims besides that stock. SOLD!
93 Mazda MX-3 GS laguna blue full exhaust, cai, kyb shocks R.I.P. stupid jeep driver!
#5389 to join MX-3.com
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

I guess I will just remove the TB tommorrow
Last time I tried (didnt have much time) the acceleration cable spring thing by the TB would not get off. How do I remove that part (I think its called the throttle lever. The thing with the acceleration cable wrapped around it)? I took out the bolt by it, are there any left or do I just try my hardest and pull it off the throttle body? I removed a TB on a 5.0 Mustang before, this one is a tough one.

Where is the Throttle Positioning Sensor at?
How does it look like?

I dont understand what this means by:
I know what a feeler gauge is, but what does he mean by "throttle stop screw and trottle lever"?
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”