Need help determining a klze, from klde... A.S.A.P

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
MX3 GSR for dummies

Post by MX3 GSR for dummies »

93_mx3_gs wrote:
I found a guy, well a friend of a friend. Who has a 1994 MX-6 with a..I don't know what the hell happened to the rear, looks like 100K lbs was dropped on it or something but the back half is all beyond flat.

Anywho getting to the point. The Motor is a KL-101 = KLDE = 160 Hp right ?

The motor has 120K on it well, says the odometer. It's nt too dirty, lot of dust from sitting but the motor seems in failry good shape and I am wondering, Should I get the ECU out of this car as well ? Or because of the rear damage, do you think it may have electrically affected the ECU ?

I'm getting the motor delivered for 250.00 so I think I should jump on the motor in any case. He also has a set up pulled from some car but he said the exhaust manifolds would fit the KL-101 in the mx-3 and they are turbo manifolds. He's got everything from turbo unit down to oil like for $175.00.

Heres where the problem comes in, I unsterstand a lot of what people say about this and that but I don't want to do a stand alone or 'piggyback' or whatever in my car because i'd like for it to somewhat to pass emissions.

Also, If the ECU is fine, Will the 1994 MX-6 ECU fit directly into the 1993 MX-3's wiring system ?

Can I hook this KLDE motor up with the same ECU and run turbo on it without any modifications ? Or am I looking to spend a shat load of money ?

You have a lot of Q's which means your doin something right. :2thumbsup: First of all that is a great deal for the motor, and yes, grab the ecu. Make sure you grab the maf, all the vac components, the TB with sensors, distributor, fuel rails/injectors, and o2 sensors(these can go for as much as 250ea). It sounds like you shouldn't have a problem with this if your able to get the exhaust. (I can't see there being any damage to the ecu)The answer to the ecu wiring fitting is yes. they are both obd1 and use the same wiring harness. The answer to the emissions is tricky. Your best bet is to set the motor up non-turbo and do your e-test as a HOT ROD! In order to do this you have to have purchasing recepts to prove that you aquired the motor and installed....or you find a friend in the biz :twisted: Then go through with your turbo install but keep your remaining parts. The mx6 vac system setup is very important to the emissions controls so be aware of how to install it and remember after you have removed it in case in two years you do your next test and fail with the turbo set-up and have to temporarily go back to normally aspirated set-up....but you have two years to work out the quirks so this should not be a problem by then. Now in the case of running the turbo off that ecu, I would look for more info on that. I know that corksport can set you up with mods but b4 you run and pop the cork, do some research. I know there is a mechanic that works at the mazda dealership at dixie and 401(mississauga, ont) but if this is not a place you can easily visit, talk to babyblu(steve). He has lots of experience and should be able to guide you in the right direction. He has a posting under the general mazda forums under general mazda info (I think?) Hopefully this helps you a great deal and that some day you PASS me on the road. :bump:
If at first you don't succeed....it never happened

94 mx3 GS w/ KLZE, KL31 ECU, clutchmaster stage 3, cross drilled rotors, Custom ram air intake, Custom exhaust, Toyo tires, 250LPH fuel pump, Modified Distributor, Upgraded Wiring etc, external HEI, Full Body Drift kit and freshly painted Grey. Interior neon accents and much more in progress
93_mx3_gs

Post by 93_mx3_gs »

Heh I don't want to really pass anyone. I just want the power when I need it. The K8101 is underpowered boat anchor weighing the front of my car down =( I mean it's not too bad but I would much rather have 160 at the crank instead of 130. Plus, My K8-101 has too many miles, I can feel it's getting tired with it's current output and performance when mashing.

I'm extremely excited to hear that the ECU and wiring harness are the same. This makes me want to do my frawg =) I will try to pick up the ecu, mas air flow and other little goodies I need today, will have the engine delivered on saturday which it will sit until next week before I can do anything with it.

I was just thinking about keeping it NA because my real goal is only 200 - 225 HP range. I don't want a monster or anything because then you have to replace and maintain all the time. I've gone through that nightmare in my 383 camaro and it was horrible. If the engine sits as 160 at the crank, Just some good on headers, nice 2 1/4" exhaust with hi flow cat and a catback system, a good clutch, true cold air intake, some 8 mm core wires with hi output plugs, and a ecu tune should be able to put me right around my goal range if not at it.

So anywho, I'll be selling my K8-101 if anyone in the Salt Lake Area wants it lol. I hape to have the installation of the Kl-101 done by Xmas.
I don't have a garage and it's 25 - 30 degrees out now with it being winter and it sucks :shrug: so it will not be a 4 hour in and out job heh.

Thanks for your input man, much appreciated.
MX3 GSR for dummies

No problem. Your best bet in this case is to do some work on the motor before you R.I.P your K8. Put a water pump and timing belt on FOR SURE as it is due for the millage and maybe even have a look inside. It will be more than worth the wait...Trust me . I know your antisipating the moment that motor roars but it will be much more benificial to rehaul anything that may be wrong with the DE. Valves etc. Good preventative maintenance and will make your motor more efficiant with its power for the long run!!!! Plus it's cold out. I'm sure you have a nice warm spot inside to work on the DE. Hey, even polish up your motor at the same time. The only fuel that motor needs right now is TLC and Beer! :throwup: Hey did you fix that leaky oil filter?

94 mx3 GS w/ KLZE, KL31 ECU, clutchmaster stage 3, cross drilled rotors, Custom ram air intake, Custom exhaust, Toyo tires, 250LPH fuel pump, Modified Distributor, Upgraded Wiring etc, external HEI, Full Body Drift kit and freshly painted Grey. Interior neon accents and much more in progress
93_mx3_gs

Post by 93_mx3_gs »

Yeah this is true lots of beer and TLC. I was thinking about taking the engine since it's a complete encine down to every last sensor, over to Mazda and having them throw on a new gasket kit, maybe changing the mains, new rings, new pins for the pistons, new water pump and a new timing belt. I only have about 1,000 to spend in total so if I can get all that done, cool. After they put it back together, I'll run it down to TANNER and have them heat wash the block and all that good stuff to make it appear new =) Trickery!

Yeah, I got the oil filter leaking problem solved. The surface of the oil cooler where the filter gaskest mounted was damaged from some idiot probably trying to install a oil filter with a hammer. Purchased a new oil cooler and a new gasket for the block mount, no oil leaks now =)

If you think I should have a mechanic check something else out while the engine is apart let me know but for the most part the above listed is basically what i am having them do. Either Mazda or Tunex.

Also, are there copper head gaskets for our Kl motors ? If so..sweet.
MX3 GSR for dummies

Don't trust Mazda to work on it. Do it yourself. This is not hard stuff to do. Grab a Haynes manuel for the mx6 and just follow the guidelines for what your doing. They even give you a complete tear down and rebuild instructions. Take your time and have fun. It will be much more cheaper and more gratifying when you drive that mo-fo and say "I made that prrrr"! :mrgreen:

93_mx3_gs

Post by 93_mx3_gs »

So what kind of numbers am I looking at for the 1/4 mile if I do a DE swap, from a 94 MX-6 with ECU and VAF -

Everything else will be pretty much stock.

Also , what kind of numbers can I expect with a ZE swapp with VAF and ECU for the ZE ?

I am just trying to get good 1/4 numbers before I decide which engine to go with.
MX3 GSR for dummies

93_mx3_gs wrote:I am just trying to get good 1/4 numbers before I decide which engine to go with.
For a DE your looking at low 15's but with a KLZE Mid 14's. BUT your getting a good deal from a reliable source with that DE so although I am all for the KLZE and nothing else, this situation differs and is an awsome opertunity and will give you a lot less headaches. It is very hard to come by a motor where you can get everything included......Just my thoughts though!

Bigg E

Post by Bigg E »

ok just wanted to say thanks for all your answers and discussion about a ZE/DE and sorry for bringing this back up

but the codes I found were KLO3 101 on the heads and on the back side below the valve cover it says KLO3 1A1 just still tryying to figure this out going to check the TB/cams for a code as well and I'll let you guys no!

what kind of Maf should it have? and how can I check what kind of ECU it has? almost 100% sure it has the wrong ecu!

thanks
1995 MX-3 RS: ST lowering springs, Front & Rear Strut Bars, 95 GS spoiler, ACT Stage 1 Cltuch kit, B&M Short Throw, Corksport braided steal clutch line, Corksport bronze oil bushings, 17 inch BSA rims, Tint, Chrome Altezza's
Pics http://www.cardomain.com/ride/537422/1
MX3 GSR for dummies

You should have the JE50 VAF for a ZE...If you had a V6 originally, it should have the proper one. The ECU should say KL31 or KL36 for OBD1.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”