Need help determining a klze, from klde... A.S.A.P

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Mad_Medeiros

Need help determining a klze, from klde... A.S.A.P

Post by Mad_Medeiros »

my buddy bigg_E is looking at a probe gt, the owner told is it has a klze, but hes bein suspicious and we are being cautious... the price is good, to good infact so, our question is I know, where the code is on the head and I looked there but I could barely see the whole code as the intake manifold was blocking it partially!

either way this is what I saw xx3 101 the x representing the numbers I couldn't see... the intake was a curved neck, and the valve cover which doesnt matter really, was a mazda.. so the motor was oviously swapped.

please, we need some help here asap! oh btw, the car ran like crap.. it took a good 10 seconds of cranking for it to start, and when it started man did it ever bogg out and miss and I had my foot to the floor and eventually I got it revved past 1700 rpm and it smoothed out, but when it dropped it idled with a miss, and almost stalled.. but then after we drove it around for a bit it stilled idled with a miss, but it didnt stall. and even when we turned the car off, he tried started it back up after it warmed up and it still took some time to start...

anyways thats as much info as I could get on the motor any idea??
stock 93 GS, 5 speed
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

KL 101 = KL-DE
KL31 101 = KL-ZE

been discussed many times on here, you woulda found your answer easy had u searched.
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

ya so ou saw a 3 on the head, that's a ze since the klde head code doesn't have any 3 on it. curve neck in a probe ? probably a klze.
my guess is this IS a klze but seems to be running bad. Ask the guy for a compression test. no point having a klze if it's almost dead. The other things I'm sure can be arranged
For how much he's selling ?
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
Mad_Medeiros

Post by Mad_Medeiros »

bigg_E grabbed it for 1500 bucks...

you get what you pay for, yeup so since I saw that 3 on the head its a KLZE eh? ok good... thats all we need to know

as for the way it ran, well after a few minuits of revving it did idle on its own with a slight miss and anything above 1500 RPM was smooth, like we drove it around for a bit and it was pretty smooth.. no miss nada.. just whenever it needed to be started up, wow... it started up like s---.. thats about it, any ideas?

like when we first got there, and started it up.. I had to put my foot to the floor, to get it going.
stock 93 GS, 5 speed
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Did you do a compression check on each cylinder?
K-North

Post by K-North »

Ewww Mederos ewwww jk jk.. so big e got the car ehhh sweet... and ya man sorry for doubting u .. hah ai wish i had the Ze .. but the KL will be sweet enoguh
hey all im a new 92 mx3 gs owner... had a permance clutch but he blew the head gaskets when i bought it.. and theres a lower kit and exaust system.. so i guess i got a okay deal.. but damn wait.. just Dropped in a KLZE engine from japan
Mad_Medeiros

Post by Mad_Medeiros »

lakersfan1 wrote:Did you do a compression check on each cylinder?
not yet, and I don't think we will be able to, as me or bigg_E don't have a compression tester!

but the motor runs good above 1400 rpm!
stock 93 GS, 5 speed
Mad_Medeiros

Post by Mad_Medeiros »

ok so a KL31-101 FOR SURE is a klze, 100 %... theres no chance in hell its a KL03? because my buddy just got the swap done for his mx-3, and they told him its only a kl03, yet the motor says kl31-101... so I'm guessing thats a klze as well? I'm just trying to make sure.
stock 93 GS, 5 speed
Ateana

Post by Ateana »

bmwm3guy wrote:KL 101 = KL-DE
KL31 101 = KL-ZE

been discussed many times on here, you woulda found your answer easy had u searched.
Ok so whats KL-1a1?
Management is not responsible for lost or stolen virginities.

White 94 Mx-3 BP
Black 93 Mx-3 Kl-De
millaj01

Post by millaj01 »

Ateana wrote:
bmwm3guy wrote:KL 101 = KL-DE
KL31 101 = KL-ZE

Ok so whats KL-1a1?
KL31-101 is what's stamped on rear head of a KLZE
KL31-1A1 is what's stamped on the front head of a KLZE
'93 MX-3 GS Image
Ateana

Post by Ateana »

so kl-1a1 is de front head :P
Management is not responsible for lost or stolen virginities.

White 94 Mx-3 BP
Black 93 Mx-3 Kl-De
slimmyslim1420

Post by slimmyslim1420 »

yea kl-1a1 is the front DE head
MX3 GSR for dummies

Post by MX3 GSR for dummies »

There are 3 types of ZE's out there...ranging from 180-210hp
One is 180-5, 190-5,200-210. The high end KL-ZE has a long straight neck. the mids tend to have the millenia bent or short straight neck, and the low end is bent as well....not too sure on any identify marks on intake. The straight necks usually have 15 less hp. Everyone talks about the jap engines and the pipe exiting the exhaust manifold and necks and codes but.........The true best way to dicifer is just to take a few minutes and open the front cam cover and look at the cam. rotate the motor if needed until you see a code on the cam shaft. KL3 or KL1.....This is your first clue to be true!!!!!
If at first you don't succeed....it never happened

94 mx3 GS w/ KLZE, KL31 ECU, clutchmaster stage 3, cross drilled rotors, Custom ram air intake, Custom exhaust, Toyo tires, 250LPH fuel pump, Modified Distributor, Upgraded Wiring etc, external HEI, Full Body Drift kit and freshly painted Grey. Interior neon accents and much more in progress
93_mx3_gs

Post by 93_mx3_gs »

I picked up a 1993 MX-3 V-6 5-speed for 700.00 all it needs is a complete brake system XD It had a little stall like yours did for a bit but I tracked it down to the distributor and once that was replaced, smooth sailing.

Now to fix leaky oil filter issue.... o.O
ikarus1

Post by ikarus1 »

MX3 GSR for dummies wrote:There are 3 types of ZE's out there...ranging from 180-210hp
One is 180-5, 190-5,200-210. The high end KL-ZE has a long straight neck. the mids tend to have the millenia bent or short straight neck, and the low end is bent as well....not too sure on any identify marks on intake. The straight necks usually have 15 less hp. Everyone talks about the jap engines and the pipe exiting the exhaust manifold and necks and codes but.........The true best way to dicifer is just to take a few minutes and open the front cam cover and look at the cam. rotate the motor if needed until you see a code on the cam shaft. KL3 or KL1.....This is your first clue to be true!!!!!
:roll: Where did you get this info from?

All ZE's are 200HP at the crank, so I am not sure where you got your three power ratings....do a search and you'll find that to be the case.
the KL31 cammed engines make the power at higher RPM IIRC. There are ZE's with KL01 cams btw, but they are still rated 200HP....

Also, Millenias have KL31 heads so it could be a Millenia engine if it has the KL31 heads, KL101 cams and the curve neck intake....but 9.2:1 compression. Only way to tell is take the head off and look at the pistons or a bore-scope - both too much trouble IMO. That's why I am buying a straight-neck and swapping manifolds.

Otherwise, the way to tell if an engine is a true KLZE is if it has the straight neck intake, KL31 heads and a KL68 stamp on the TB.
93 White MX-3 "Ebay special"
94 Green 626 V6 5-speed "family car"
94 Mazda B2300 SE "project turbo truk"

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”